John Fortune
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After having played the base game a while, I am having a blast and want to A. keep playing and B. introduce this to 3 friends.

What would be a good way to expand the game? What should I get next to add variety and to be able to build 4 good decks?

Thanks for any advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Might find something interesting in here.

http://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2012/12/17/new-player...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion would be hazad-Dum. Be aware that the way the way FFG add only a few new player cards in each expansion means that your deckbuilding card pool will grow only slowly, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Różycki
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Shadow over Mirkwood cycle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
The spirit of BGG as expressed by Esgaldil: "We lose nothing by trying to be helpful"
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play 4-player with just the core set. This would be a good introduction for your friends. You will need two substitute threat trackers but that is no big deal. Pencil and paper works fine.

After you play the core set together a few times then you will have more information to help make a better informed purchase. If everyone is interested then you may want to buy a 2nd core set. This would give you two more threat trackers and plenty of player cards. It would also give you the encounter cards needed to play two games simultaneously.

There has been nearly endless debates on whether or not a single player should buy a 2nd (or 3rd) core set (or even more). I think it makes a lot of sense when you have 4 players. It would give you 120 more player cards including: one more Gandalf card per player; 6x of 9 player cards, 4x of 38 player cards; and 2x of 13 player cards. Even the "big box" Khazad-dum expansion only gives you 33 more player cards.

I really think a 2nd core set is the best expansion when you have 4 players.

edit: Each core set has 4 Gandalf cards. With 2 core sets you get 2 per player. You want these cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sesma
United States
Corona
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWAlbion wrote:

Thank you very much for this link, I had been wondering the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Field
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play 4p with just the core set, but your deck-building options will be minimal.

I don't know how much cash you have spare but if I were you I'd invest in another core set and the first two or three Mirkwood adventure packs. That'll give you much more flexibility for deck-construction, and you'll have a few more scenarios to play with your pals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew D
msg tools
mbmb
You are starting early enough that it's probably best to go in order of the AP's original release (i.e., get Shadows of Mirkwood cycle cards, then Khazad-dum, etc).

If that doesn't appeal to you, go to lotrlcg.com or some other site to see which player cards are in which expansion. Think about what kinds of decks you want to make and see which APs best fit that goal!

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.