Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Ritz
United States
Kelseyville
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking tonight, after playing at my weekly group, about the game Pandemic (which was one of the games we played a few times). And I shared that my son and I played the fastest game of Pandemic last week ever witnessed by man.

But like all coop games, today we got crushed in a hurry and we fared better in our second game... which almost seemed easy. Which leads me to my question.

I think Pandemic is balanced well (crushing losses, could have gone either way/down to the wire, and seems easy some times). What coop games have you played that you think are balanced well? Which games are more extremist in nature (only crushing losses or ease of victory- no in between)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, Castle Panic has seemed pretty easy. Although I will qualify that by saying that a) we don't have the expansion yet, and b) we mostly play it with our 5yo, which means we play almost purely co-op rather than "semi co-op."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew I
United States
Milwaukee
WI - Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Ghost Stories, Pandemic, and Space Alert are the games we play with the most close games. Actually just played two games of Ghost Stories this weekend where we lost after just barely failing to take out Wu Feng.

It's hard to tell sometimes though, because in most co-ops, there's some chance that you can be completely obliterated at any moment with just a bit of bad luck. Diseases suddenly spreading across the globe, the building collapsing after a half-dozen explosions at once, or every damn baddie on the map taking way too many actions.

The Lord of the Rings LCG is probably the single most "extremist" game I play. A lot of easy wins, a lot of getting crushed before completing the first stage, not a lot of close calls. Arkham Horror is another one where I don't have a lot of close games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
theritzes wrote:
And I shared that my son and I played the fastest game of Pandemic last week ever witnessed by man.

How fast was it? I recently played a 4p game where we lost on outbreaks before the 4th player got his first turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fletcher
msg tools
I'm a fan of Ghost Stories, Ygrazzil (sp?), and Forbidden Island, so far as a good range of play experiences go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sentinels of the Multiverse has a pretty swingy difficulty. Sometimes the villains just stomp your guys and there's not much you can do. I still love the game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
Elder Sign seems really hard to lose. We lost the first game we ever played, then won every single one after that. A lot of fun, but definitely not well balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jane doe
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
OMG Space Cadets is not in this list.
After 8 plays we still haven't won the intro mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ritz
United States
Kelseyville
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oriecat wrote:
theritzes wrote:
And I shared that my son and I played the fastest game of Pandemic last week ever witnessed by man.

How fast was it? I recently played a 4p game where we lost on outbreaks before the 4th player got his first turn.

Well, I once lost in a three player game before the third person took their turn (if I remember right, of the 9 starting cities- like 6 or 7 were black and many of those were the 2 and 3 initial infections. Then we hit an Epidemic card on the first draw which also turned out to be black and set off a chain reaction that devastated that part of the world... stinking zombie plague).

But I should have referenced that my son and I had the fastest VICTORY ever witnessed by man! We won in something like 8 turns with 3 sunsets and the other cure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ritz
United States
Kelseyville
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mosch wrote:
Elder Sign seems really hard to lose. We lost the first game we ever played, then won every single one after that. A lot of fun, but definitely not well balanced.

Agreed. And for a game with so many mechanics in the game play, you would think there would be a simple solution to make it just "that much" more difficult to even it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.