The Resistance: Avalon» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Vote Publicity? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: eugenetswong_misc_read [+] [View All]
Alex M
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
It seems like practically all of the posts in both this and The Resistances' strategy forums take players votes into account when determining the odds of their allegiances.

How is this considered absolute, empirical evidence? Do you usually play with everyone submitting their voting cards face up? It seems that the vote tokens were specifically designed to anonymize the votes and likewise my groups always vote anonymously. Or do most people just discuss how they're going to be voting both before and after the votes take place?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Confused by the question.

The rules say voting is simultaneous and public. You can say how you're voting before the vote takes place. Sometimes it makes sense to lie about how you're voting, sometimes not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Confused by the question.

The rules say voting is simultaneous and public. You can say how you're voting before the vote takes place. Sometimes it makes sense to lie about how you're voting, sometimes not.

Sounds like Alex was playing incorrectly. The vote tokens are so that everyone can vote simultaneously and reveal simultaneously. It is intended that you know how others voted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer the broader question, sometimes spies get trapped by voting. Other spies can manipulate the voting record well enough that the public vote exonerates them or implicates innocents.

Neither is empirical evidence one way or another, but at least it is something you can base your feelings on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Spartz
United States
Golden valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I've seen many games where the spies were discovered because they voted for/against certain teams. It's a huge source of information.

The spies can also take into account that the non-spies will be looking for that information and vote against their interest if it's not a game deciding mission. In regular resistance with the plot cards I had to vote before everyone else and I managed to get a team voted down that had no spies on it because I voted in favor of it (I was a spy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me tell you what I would do, Alex, if I was playing in your group, that used anonymous voting.

We vote on a mission in private and the results are revealed. The vote is 3-3 for mission 1 in a 6p game. I voted no since I wasn't on-mission.

Now I go around and ask every other player, what did you vote? Why did you vote that way? After I ask everyone, I see if the count equals 3-3. If not, someone is lying. I press further until I figure out why someone is lying about their vote. In any case, the very fact someone is lying, to me, suggests the proposal is dirty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
alexmes wrote:
It seems that the vote tokens were specifically designed to anonymize the votes

In our games, you select the vote token and present it towards the center of the table. Then everyone reveals it at the same time, and the result is totaled.

When you continue playing more, voting gives you information. What information it gives is upto you and other players. Without public vote for the team and table talk, team selection and thus the games are more random than not, favor the spies and Arthur staying hidden but powerless (or getting assassinated when he has to reveal too much verbally).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex M
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mfl134 wrote:
Sounds like Alex was playing incorrectly. The vote tokens are so that everyone can vote simultaneously and reveal simultaneously. It is intended that you know how others voted.

Ah whoops, I should have just looked at the rules instead of posting here:

Quote:
Each player, including the Leader, secretly selects one Vote card. When all players have their selected Vote card ready, the Leader asks for the votes to be revealed. All Vote tokens are flipped over so everyone can see how you voted.

I've been playing the same way a1bert has been playing:

a1bert wrote:
In our games, you select the vote token and present it towards the center of the table. Then everyone reveals it at the same time, and the result is totaled.

No doubt this made games a bit frustrating and myself quite confused when reading srategy posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alexmes wrote:
I've been playing the same way a1bert has been playing:

a1bert wrote:

No doubt this made games a bit frustrating and myself quite confused when reading srategy posts.

I read a1bert's method as pretty much the same as the one my group uses - choose one of your two vote tokens, push it in a little way toward the middle (possibly covering it with a hand to hide the wear pattern) then everyone flip over their own vote token.

I thought you had been playing where you all put your votes in a heap in the middle, and flip the heap over so you don't know who voted what...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both ways; it's a good game either way, but it helps the minions more if voting is anonymous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Wong
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most important part of voting is that it helps you to count up the number of spies voting in favour of a mission proposal. Novice spies will vote up almost anything in the beginning, but as they get better, they'll try to only vote up teams that have spies. They definitely will vote down clean teams near the end of the game.

If you take the time to examine the votes in relation to yourself [when you are rebel], and in relation to the mission results, then you'll begin to see more information. In a 7 player game, 5 votes in favour of a 2 player team means that 1 spy voted in favour for it. There could be 2 or 3 spies. You can then ask yourself questions about behaviour before the proposal, in between the proposal and the mission results, and after the mission results.

Using these numbers is a very fascinating part of Avalon/Resistance, and it is what I call Resistance math. If you pay close attention, then you can use those numbers for guiding your choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.