Subject: Other World encounter card rule question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Krick
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our game tonight, one of the investigators went through a gate to the Abyss and got the encounter card below while in the Abyss. The problem is that they rolled 2, which sent them to the Dreamlands, but there was no return gate for the Dreamlands on the board. Following game logic, I assume that they would just end up Lost in Time and Space, but I'm not sure. Can anyone show me where in the rules it explains how to resolve this situation?

The caverns split. Make a Luck (+1) check and consult the chart below:

Successes:
0-1: Move to the Black Cave
2: Move to The Dreamlands.
3+: You enter a dark temple. Pass a Luck (-1) check to draw a Unique Item.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Digman
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Testing...1 2 3
mbmbmbmbmb
They would go to the Dreamlands, and perform the normal Other World actions. When it is time to return to Arkham, if the gate has not appeared then they are lost in space and time. If the gate has appeared they exit through it, normally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yep, they need to hope for a Dreamlands gate. Or have a Gate Box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Moore
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As stated on page 8, middle column, second bulleted paragraph: "If there is no open gate leading to the other world the investigator is in, the investigator is lost in time and space (see page 17)."

Unfortunately, this is one of the ways that the game likes to screw with the players. You might get lucky and have a gate open in the 2 mythos phases between when the investigator got shot to the Dreamlands and when he will have to exit back into Arkham, but without that, or some other kind of pull out of you butt magic, lost in time and space it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you move to the first space of the Dreamlands or the same space relative to where you were in the Abyss?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goody
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the gate to the abyss is at the black cave and you got 1 success would you get an explored marker or would you need to go back through?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The first space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Do the right thing. It's usually obvious.
badge
I has a stick! A tiny green stick!
mbmbmbmbmb
Inquisitorgoody wrote:
If the gate to the abyss is at the black cave and you got 1 success would you get an explored marker or would you need to go back through?

The only circumstance under which Investigators receive Explored Markers is when they "Return to Arkham", either by following the Other World Movement rules, or at the direction of some card.

"Move to the Black cave" is not "return to Arkham", so I would say no marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Do the right thing. It's usually obvious.
badge
I has a stick! A tiny green stick!
mbmbmbmbmb
jackalope wrote:
Do you move to the first space of the Dreamlands or the same space relative to where you were in the Abyss?

Keeping relative position would require a new mechanic, which would have to be printed on the card for it to be in effect. So yeah, start at the beginning and slog on through. (I once suffered a very long, delay filled visit to the Dreamlands as a result of this card; two turns in the Abyss, followed by four in the Dreamlands. Then LiTaS. Love this game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goody
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
Inquisitorgoody wrote:

The only circumstance under which Investigators receive Explored Markers is when they "Return to Arkham", either by following the Other World Movement rules, or at the direction of some card.

That was the conclusion I came to as well so thank you for the clarification and confirmation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Clarke
England
Dursley
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
Inquisitorgoody wrote:

This is an unlikely occurrence - that the gate to The Abyss is actually at the Black Gate - so I would say that you would get an explored marker.
But, I can see the logic of your argument, so maybe no explored is more in keeping with the Luck test "failure", although there are some Other World encounters that do benefit you indirectly, even when ordinarily they wouldn't.
For example, encountering a nightgaunt in an Other World location and losing a combat - this returns you to Arkham and you can place an explored marker (FAQ), even though it doesn't specifically state that you are "returning to Arkham".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Inquisitorgoody wrote:

You just lucked out. The game outsmarted itself, instead of you. Receive the explored marker.

Edit: I read some of the other answers after I posted. The other Return to Arkham OW encounters are sending the investigator back specifically to the location from which he started. This encounter sends that investigator specifically to The Black Cave, which cannot be argued is not in Arkham. The probability is that you're screwed, but not necessarily so. Explored marker, all the way.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
Inquisitorgoody wrote:

What's to say that there is a Gate at The Black Cave (except for the example)? I think that's why it doesn't say Return to Arkham. If there was a Gate at The Black Cave and it went to The Abyss then I would probably allow it as Explored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.