Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Ritz
United States
Kelseyville
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Below is an idea I had a few years back for some friends of mine. Here's the context: A few of us were very competitive gamers amidst a large group of people. So we decided to compete in a league centered around playing games. We called it the Secret League of Gaming Aficionados. We would secretly compete against each other while playing in a larger group context, and we simply used a percentage to figure out who was in first, second, and such. You'll get the idea by reading more below, but I would love your input on how it can be refined or expanded. This was definitely before I even knew about coop games, and I need some suggestions for how to handle that style of game as well.

General Rules and By Laws- Rough Draft
All members will commit to playing at least 30 games (sanctioned and/or secret) between Feb 1st and June 30th.

What constitues a game?
A sanctioned game is when just the SLGA gets together on its own to play several games on a game night where compition can be talked about openly far from the ears of those outside the League.

Secret games- As of February 1st, any game where 2 or more of the members of SLGA happen to be playing, it is hereby understood that they are competing against one another (no matter what or how the game mechanics function). This competition should go on without anyone outside of the League realizing its implications or that the competition exists between the members.

When group games are being played, any member of SLGA on the winning team will score a win and any member of SLGA on the loosing team will score a loss. Gentleman Rules may apply here.

Gentlemen Rules
Anytime extrodinary game play OR pitiful game play is exhibited, members may lobby for a bonus win point OR a penalty loss point. Gentlemen are assumed to give credit where credit is due, or face up to the reality of getting crushed. An example of extrodinary play- being on the winning team of Guesstures and personally doing 7 or 8 points in a single turn. An example of getting crushed- not getting any cards awarded to you in Apples to Apples. Gentlemen may also lobby for bonus or penalty points in inverse settings (i.e. great game play but on the loosing team). In this senario, one would get a point for Winning and Loosing.

Let it be stated that video games are assumed to not be counted, unless a verbal agreement (whispers only please) has been reached by any members of the League at the time in question.

Each member may also command a challenge game once during the season. This challenge game is the members choice (which we are told of ahead of time) and if the member issuing the challenge wins~ it will be worth 2 win points instead of the customary 1 point. If the member looses~ it will be worth 2 in the loss column. Any member defeating the challenge will only be awarded the 1 customary win point.

All game play results should be posted here on "The Wall" (we were using a Facebook group for communication at the time) and one member will be designated as the official record keeper who will tally the wins and losses as well as work out the percentage. This person will also be in charge of keeping the Current Standings Thread up to date at least once a week.

An awards night will be held the first week of July (I hope) and we will come up with categories and prizes along the way.

Some other ideas:
"Must Loose Secretly" Night where total loss (dead last) in the group counts as a victory
Buried Treasure day

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.