Subject: Suggestion for future versions of Fluxx rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Ross
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Replace "Trash" with "Discard" and replace image of trash can with image of discard pile.

Reason: In the "Dominion" card game, a trashed card is out of play for the rest of the game. It's a minor point, but it caused a lot of confusion for myself and many Fluxx players when we were learning how to play Dominion. Of course, one could also ask the makers of Dominion to replace "Trash" with "Remove".

Unfortunately, there's no Style Sheet for game terms; a "stash" is also a "collection" or a "stock", a "deck" is also a "stock" or "draw pile" (which means a "stock" could be a "collection" or a "draw pile"), etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First there was Fluxx .......

But seriously, if people take their time to read and understand the rules (and keep them at hand), it shouldn't really be a problem. There's always one in the group who knows how it works and if others disagree, it's always possible to check in the rules sheet.
No need to change a game print. Just my 0.02
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
ad3ross wrote:
Replace "Trash" with "Discard" and replace image of trash can with image of discard pile.

My first thought was that an image of a trash can is unambiguous, whereas an image of a "discard pile" probably looks very similar to an image of a "draw pile".

My second thought was wondering if people complained about "trash" in Dominion being confusing, since people were used to the "trash can" in Windows and various other graphical user interfaces being undoable (just because you trash something doesn't mean it's permanently gone).

But then I looked at my Fluxx set (v4.0) and saw that it uses the term "discard pile" and I don't see any images of trash cans, so I guess you have an old version of Fluxx and your suggestion is already moot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Ross
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
The "Trash a Keeper" and "Trash a New Rule" cards also mention the discard pile, so like Mike Schröder said this shouldn't be problem as long as the players know what they're doing.

Target Fluxx has the New Rules "Recycling" and "Goal Mill" which each show a trash can (but also have the word "discard"). I think these are both new to Target Fluxx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Ross
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
So, what I'm trying to say is that is not Fluxx's fault that I got confused when trying to learn the rules for Dominion. I had just been so used to Fluxx (and many other games) using "discard" and "trash" to mean the same thing that when I was learning Dominion I got them mixed up a few times.

I was suggesting _for future versions_ that "trash" be changed to "discard"; I see no need to change it in the middle of a print run.

Trying to blame a specific game for the lack of consistency in the world of game terms would be like trying to blame a specific drop of water for the flood. Making suggestions for future changes in various games is like building levees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.