Popular Tags: [View All]
amurobo
Canada
Markham
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, just finished my 1st play of the game today. A few questions arise during play that I was not able to find answers. Hope to get some help from the community to clarify.

1. Shipping company
- Do they flip the company token after expand?
- Can that company still ship after the token is flipped? (ie, ship unlimited amount of time?)

2. The bidding order, does it always the turn order? Or clockwise?

3. The ship marker, are they unlimited (there is a limit on how big a shipping company can get) or limited by what is provided?

4. Can we start a product company where there is a city? (there is a picture in the rules shows that it can but the rule also stated "...He may place this counter on any empty land area. " assuming empty land area means province that's empty)

5. In the first game, it seems like the strategy is to R&D on slot as quick as possible to get more income. However, this push the game to end quickly since company being taken quickly and the era just end quickly too. Is this normal?

Thanks all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shingo Ishikawa
Australia
Isaacs
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amurobo wrote:
Hi all, just finished my 1st play of the game today. A few questions arise during play that I was not able to find answers. Hope to get some help from the community to clarify.

1. Shipping company
- Can that company still ship after the token is flipped? (ie, ship unlimited amount of time?)

3. The ship marker, are they unlimited (there is a limit on how big a shipping company can get) or limited by what is provided?

4. Can we start a product company where there is a city? (there is a picture in the rules shows that it can but the rule also stated "...He may place this counter on any empty land area. " assuming empty land area means province that's empty)

5. In the first game, it seems like the strategy is to R&D on slot as quick as possible to get more income. However, this push the game to end quickly since company being taken quickly and the era just end quickly too. Is this normal?

Thanks all!

1. Yes every company that operates you flip their tiles.. this is done in turn order one company per player. Shipping company when you operate, all you do is that you may expand by placing more ships. That company can be used by yourself or other player after the tile is flipped.. or before for that matter.

2. Bidding for the turn order or bidding for the merger? Bidding for the turn order is always in the turn order.. bidding for the merger.. we generally just play clockwise as we never find it affect that much and it's just easier that way.. (may not be the correct rule)

3. There is limit on how big a shipping company can get, it's written on the bottom of the shipping tile. number may increase per each era. When you merge two shipping company, then you will add up the number for both companies.

4. No you cannot place production chit where city is.. you may place next to the city. but not in the same space. Also you can but shouldn't place your counter inland.. or you won't be able to ship them you can always expand inland as long as there is one port available.

5. Well.. it's hard to give strategy answer as games can play in so many different way, basically how everyone advance your R&D affect how each game develop. You can advance merger early, to get the first favourable merger, you can advance expansion to try to expand your initial rice or spice company to protect from being merged away but also possibly ship multiple goods to get more money. Also this depends on the player number also.. with 5 it might be worth while to inprove slots so that you are able to pick up the new Era B tiles that come up.. while with fewer player, you may just pick up extra shipping tiles and not make much money. Oh and ofcourse this all depends on where are the starting cities also.. Sorry it's just hard to say what's the best way, or normal way that game should progress... I used to think bidding turn order was weak but in our last few games, if one player advances it then others are pretty much forced to match it unless you have monopoly in one type.

Hope this helps!! feel free to ask any more question, I don't have Rule book handy at the moment so can't check on the bidding order. enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Carlough
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amurobo wrote:

1. Shipping company

Thanks all!

1. You would flip it after you expand (to keep track for yourself.... we sometimes don't before the game gets crazy) but the company can still ship fine.

2. The bidding order is in turn order (specified in the rules) for both biding for turn order and bidding for mergers.

3. The ship markers are basically unlimited. Because there are two different styles of each color, usually by the time you get a company too big for one type of marker there are few enough companies that the big company can be one color. So when your company gets too big for just the flat blue boats, you'd make it the blue company and use both types. Do note that there IS a limit on shipping company size marked on the tiles, in case you missed that.

4. You can start a product company in the same province/named region etc as a city, assuming there's space. So, each area of land (each small piece, you know how they are separated by lines... I don't know what words the rulebook uses to differentiate) can hold either a product tile or a city. A production company can no longer be started if there's no space left (ie in later stages, other companies may have already grabbed the land).

5. This is normal early in the game, the first phase usually ends pretty fast. After the first turn or two, it's good to take expansion, merger, hull etc too as those can make the companies you have way awesomer... it's complicated trying to figure out what's best of course. But in my games we never just push to 5 slots or anything.

Hope that helps~
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shingo Ishikawa
Australia
Isaacs
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, thanks it saved me from checking the rule book. yes i think we knew about turn order bidding.. but got lazy as bidding is quite complex already

Also downloading the bidding chart is pretty handy for playing this game.. I made my own but I think it's available here in the file? It just makes the bidding much much easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martins Livens
Latvia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amurobo wrote:

If you talking about bidding order after merger has been started by making first bid, then rules don't specify it, but for convenience here we play it around the table. You can play it in turn order of-course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martins Livens
Latvia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
2. The bidding order is in turn order (specified in the rules) for both biding for turn order and bidding for mergers.

"Bidding proceeds in order of play"
and in from Bid for turn order "Whoever has the highest bid gets to be first in order of play", looks like you are right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amurobo
Canada
Markham
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much all for spending the time to type up the answer, really appreciate!

For question 4 - I think I've totally missed the map that a province is also divided into smaller lands. I was thinking the whole province can only have 1 company. Now things are more clear!

I really enjoy this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shingo Ishikawa
Australia
Isaacs
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah ok. Unfortunately those lines could've been more clear. Also remember that you cannot put company next to the existing same type belonging to the other player. And adjacent can be little unclear with the lines.

Also map in the Bali area is little confusing so pay attention in the rule it's a great game! Enjoy!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martins Livens
Latvia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shingoi wrote:
Ah ok. Unfortunately those lines could've been more clear. Also remember that you cannot put company next to the existing same type belonging to the other player. And adjacent can be little unclear with the lines.

Also map in the Bali area is little confusing so pay attention in the rule it's a great game! Enjoy!!

see strikeout part - it's unneeded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shingo Ishikawa
Australia
Isaacs
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is probably nit picking but.. strikeout part is needed if you merge two companies that produce same goods then their good markers can be placed next to each other.

This can happen quite often with the two rubber plantation on the top left island.. if they merged together then there is nothing to stop you from connecting two plantations of your two rubber companies together.

Sorry if it was confusing, when I said company, I meant good marker.. so you cannot put good markers next to the same type belonging to the other player, you can do this if they are both yours as part of merger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martins Livens
Latvia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shingoi wrote:
I know this is probably nit picking but.. strikeout part is needed if you merge two companies that produce same goods then their good markers can be placed next to each other.

If you merge two companies they become one company and don't fall under this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shingo Ishikawa
Australia
Isaacs
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I know, I was trying to make it really clear for the OP that in that instance you can place two of the same good markers that was originally belonged to two separate companies together.. but looks like making it more complicated than needed. Anyway original questions has been answered already so I guess i should stop now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.