Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Smash Up» Forums » General

Subject: My Overview of the Base Game Factions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Hi all!!!! I originally learned about this game from a friend and I liked it enough to pick up a copy of my own. Now there are other writeups on the site but out of boredom I decided to do one of my own. I’ll be going over the different factions and give my take on them and how I feel about them. So without further ado here we go.

So an interesting thing is all the factions have the same basic makeup. They have 10 minions with
4 power 2 (Light class)
3 power 3 (Medium class)
2 power 4 (Heavy class)
1 power 5 (Champion class)

The power of a particular class the minions can scale up or down depending on how good their ability is (will be noted) but all factions seem to follow this basic spread. Additionally the standard for actions is all factions have 10 actions. I’m going to go through the factions considering their minions and actions and give my take on them.

Aliens

Light: Collector
Medium: Scout
Heavy: Invader (-1)
Champion: Supreme Overlord

It’s kinda awkward to start with Aliens (curse you alphabet) since you can’t really talk about the merits of “returning minions to owner’s hand” before talking about “killing minions” hence we’re going to need to detour. Killing minions really speaks for itself. The minion is removed, it is no longer adding its benefit and it is (almost) beyond the reach of its original owner. Returning minions is much less effective. The minion might be removed but on the player’s next turn he can replay the minion and if you return a minion with a good on play power well the owner just gets the ability again.

However returning minions is not completely useless. Players only have so many chances to play minions over the course of the game and returning one reduces this by one. Further normally there are restrictions on what minion you can kill or return. Many factions cannot kill a power 3 minion without jumping through hoops. The Alien’s Lightweight minion, Collector, can return a minion of power 3 on a base its played. On the other hand the minion with the ability to outright kill a minion with power 3 is a Heavyweight minion (Ninja’s Tiger Assassin) so I think this is a fair balance.

No talk about Aliens is complete without mentioning the Invader. Another benefit of returning minions is you can return your own to regain on play benefits this has the obvious issue that few on play benefits are good enough to warrant returning your own minions. Hence they had to give the Aliens a minion with an on play ability that was so good it would justify returning your own minion to get it. For obvious reasons the Invader was it. A large portion of the Alien's game is playing the Invader as many times as they can. A large portion of everyone else's game is sending the Invader to the great beyond hence why Zombie Invader is so terrifying.

The Scout really isn’t that impressive a minion though is nice in a 4 player game where you draw fewer cards. The Supreme Leader might not be the best Champion in the game but there is something to be said about an attack that can work on any minion regardless of power and location (doesn’t need to be on the same base).

When it comes to actions the Aliens have some really great ones. Terraforming and Crop Circles get most of the attention but they also have several that can mess with other players since their “return a minion” actions are usually not restricted by power and the ones that are restricted return the minion to a place where they are hard to get back. Jammed Signal is very good for preventing players from abusing bases with really good point scoring abilities. Probe is another that is very worth mentioning since it is one of the few cards which allow you to see another player’s hand and knowing what another player is sitting on can be very valuable in the end game.

Dinosaurs

Light: War Raptor
Medium: Armor Stego
Heavy: Lasertops
Champion: King Rex (+2)

When I first started playing this game if you tied me up, held my feet to the fire and forced me to pick 1 faction that was overpowered the I would have had said Dinosaurs. Not because I actually thought they were overpowered but when the same faction wins your first 4 games in a row you are forced to take notice. Looking back I do not think they are overpowered at all. In fact many people here have expressed they think they are underpowered (though many have also expressed they think they are overpowered). So what’s going on?

Well I can’t say for sure but I will tell you what I think. People who say Dinos are overpowered usually point to the unnaturally high power that Dinos have relative to their minion class. In fact adjusted for their abilities the Dinos have the following spread during other player’s turns.

4 power 3 minions (normally Medium Class)
2 power 4 minions (normally Heavy Class)
3 power 5 minions (normally Champion Class)
1 power 7 minion (Ummmmmm World Champion Class?)

Their lightweight and medium weight minions gain a natural boost to their strength. While most Champions have strength 5 and an ability King Rex’s ability might as well be “+2 power at all times” though this is obviously rolled up into his power. As I talked about above killing power 3 minions isn’t all that easy and it only gets harder to kill minions as they get stronger and stronger. In a sense their strength increases acts as “extra defense” making it much harder to kill them. Additionally their only play on base/minion cards are defensive ones.

So what about the people that say they are underpowered? Well usually they usually point to the lack of combos and they are 100% right. Dinos are the only base game faction with absolutely 0% potential to play additional cards. Other factions can pull off brilliant dazzling multi-card combos to amazing effect but not the Dinos.

Now here’s what I think. People who find them overpowered might be playing with more players. In games with more players you have multiple people to worry about attacking you. The Dinos “extra power defense” while not perfect probably gives them a big hand protecting them from 3 other players looking for minions to kill. More importantly the larger the games is the harder it is to perform combos. More players mean bases break faster. Bases breaking faster means fewer turns. Fewer turns means less chances to draw cards and set up fantastic turns.

In fact when I play 4 player we probably make it through about 50%-70% of our decks and no one has ever flipped their deck, not even Wizards. The games where Dinos have be a major threat have always been 4 player games. Additionally the closest thing to a combo that the Dinos have is the Rampage card and the Augmentation card. Rampage usually gets a lot of attention because everyone points out the King Rex combo but really I think the Augmentation card is the truly terrifying one. There aren’t many minions with more than 4 power so in a sense Augmentation will usually add just as much power as Rampage but it gets even better. Rampage doesn’t actually add power to assist you in scoring the base. Augmentation adds 4. Think about that. 1 action card adding 4 power. That’s as much power as most of the stronger minions from other decks. You Augment any Dinosaur and you instantly have an at least 7+ power minion. You Augment King Rex and you have an 11 power minion. That is 11 power from just two cards. I don’t believe there is any other 2 card combo which adds that much power. A 2 card combo is not nearly as hard to set up as a 4-6 card one which is about how many cards most other factions need to dump that much power on a base in 1 turn.

However things change drastically when you have fewer players. With fewer players I found people made it through much more of their decks. They also were able to set up much grander combos and here’s where the Dinos fell apart. With more chances to set up their hands the Dinos who really don’t have anything they can set up other than King Rex + Augment or Rampage couldn’t contribute to a fantastic game winning move as well as other factions could.

In a sense the Dinos have so much more power because they need it. Their power to card ratio is the highest but without the ability to multi play if it were too easy to kill/remove Dinos from board they would be screwed. They are worse at recovering from devastating blows since they really have no hidden Aces they can use to accelerate. The designers had to make it harder to deal a devastating blow to them hence why they are given so much power but in addition by giving them more power they become much better at breaking bases with fewer cards.

One final Overview. Their Heavy weight minion is the Lasertops and is a fairly unimpressive minion. Being forced to kill a power 2 minion is a pretty weak ability for a Heavyweight class but the Dino’s other minions all can increase their power very nicely. Howl works but Dinos aren’t particularly good at playing a lot of minions, even more of a reason why they need the “defense boost”. Their Natural Selection and Survival of the fittest actions work well with their high power.

Ninja’s

Light: Ninja Acolyte
Medium: Shinbi
Heavy: Tiger Assassin
Champion: Ninja Master

Man its so nice to have an easy faction to write up. The Ninja’s have 2 tricks. First of all they are good at killing strong minions and second they are good at sneaking onto scoring bases.

The Shinobi and the Ninja Master embody the Ninja’s specialty better than anything else. Killing any minion really speaks for itself as does sneaking minions onto scoring. The Tiger Assassin is the Ninja master but slightly less.

The Ninja Acolyte is sorta a buggy minion. He can work to set up impressive plays but ultimately you are pretty much trading 1 minion play for another. He is best played when you have an extra play which must be a minion power 2 or less. Unfortunately power 2 minions are often targeted by attacks especially if their power is not a “on play” power.

The ninja’s have some really strange actions. Some of them come off as being weak versions of other common actions Like Way of Deception and Smoke Bomb. Others just kill off more minions. Then they have some really nice ones like Poison (great for minions with destruction protection), Disguise (take back your minions with powerful on play abilities or exchange some weak minions for some strong ones), and Hidden Ninja (Man this is a good action). In fact many a game has ended with a player having a Hidden Ninja and a Shinobi in hand.


Pirates

Light: First Mate
Medium: Saucy Wench
Heavy: Buccaneer
Champion: Pirate King

Now I like the Pirates but if I had to pick one faction to buff a little I would pick them. Now I don’t feel that they are particularly weak but it just feels like they are missing something and should have a little something extra. I’ll explain what I mean. Similar to the Dinos they have very little potential to play more than 2 cards per turn. In fact Full Sail is their only potential and they have 0 potential to play more than one minion. However a lot of their cards rely on them having played a bunch of minions like Dinghy, Swashbuckling and Full Sail. They tried to balance this out by giving some of their minions lasting potential but even their minions come off as slightly flawed and none have that WOW factor.

First of all the First Mate. This guy has probably one of the best abilities in the game. Once played he’ll never go away until attacked by another player... and that’s exactly his problem. Many factions can kill off weak minions, especially power 2s, so he becomes the first target of just about every attack. Don’t expect to ever have too many of these out at one time. You’ll be lucky to have one traveling around.

Saucy Wench is neither a bad or a particularly good minion so nothing to say about her.

Buccaneer sorta has the reverse problem of the First Mate. First Mate has a great ability and is really easy to kill before he uses it. The Buccaneer’s ability is protection from killing... which as I’ve already said a power 4 minion is not that easy to kill in the first place making the ability less useful. Of course if your opponent CAN kill a power 4 minion you’ll be very glad for the power but I find that this doesn’t occur too often. It often seems like the Buccaneer was given his ability to use with “destroy a minion you control for some great benefit proportional to its power” action cards but the pirates don’t really have enough of these to justify it (although Powder Keg - Buccaneer is pretty amazing). If they had just one more card like this, Probably instead of Swashbuckling, I’d feel the power would be justified.

There’s nothing wrong with the Pirate King but again he feels rather lackluster. Whereas most of the other Champions really feel like they’re a game changer he feels lacking somewhat. Sorta like you wish he could do more like maybe an additional ability like a free move during your turn or the ability to move off of a scoring base in addition to on.

If it were just the minions I’d probably label the pirates as being underpowered but the pirates actually have some really nice actions. Most factions are lucky if they have a single card that can take out multiple minions. Pirates have 4 (Cannon, Broadside x2, and Powderkeg) and when you get right down to it is killing 2 power 2 minions any better or worse than killing 1 power 4?. Swashbuckling, Dinghy and Shanghai also do their jobs well although again Pirates will need a few turns for Dinghy and Swashbuckling to be really effective.

However Sea Dogs and Full Sail are simply amazing. Sea Dogs can yank several minions to whatever base you want and assist you in scoring it (like a superpowered Shanghai). As for Full Sail if it wasn’t playable before a base scored it would be a very good card. By playing it before a base scores you can do all sorts of funky stuff. Remember even if you reduce the power on a base below its breaking point it will still score so feel free to remove all your minions from a breaking base except for your First Mates. They’ll catch up later after they bag you a few points from the base currently being scored. If you can snipe a second base and make it break as well when no one expects it to it can be a real game winning move.

Robots

Okay hopefully no one rushed to comment about how I was wrong above about all the faction having 10 minions. While its true Robots have 18 minions they still have the same basic makeup of 10 minions... sorta.

When you ignore the Microbots you’ll find they conform to the same basic minion breakdown that the other factions do :

Light: Zapbot
Medium: Hoverbot
Heavy: Warbot
Champion: Nukebot

However they have an additional 8 minions in the form of microbots and 2 actions.

Zapbot and Hoverbot are both really good. A deck with robots is going to have a lot of low powered minions in it thanks to the microbots making Zapbot and Hoverbot much more likely to play additional minions

Everything said about the Buccaneer applies to the Warbot. Just finds itself in a different place after someone tries to kill it.

Now the Nukebot is the truly bizarre one. Robots really don’t have much potential at all to destroy the Nukebot and kill off several opposing minions. If anything the Nukebot actually works against them since they usually have a lot of minions on a base and want to avoid things that can sweep them off. Better to drop him somewhere you don’t intend to play to scare other players away from playing there.

If it were just the minions above I’d probably label the robots underpowered but the Microbots is where its at. The Microbot Gaurd is probably the weakest one as he might accidently attack you. Microbot Fixer gives a nice boost to all your microbots, not just the ones on the same base, Reclaimer will get you back your microbots, Archive will keep you drawing but the true Champion of the robot deck is the Microbot Alpha. Turning all your minions into microbots works wonders when you have the fixers and/or the archivist down but more importantly Alpha can become disgustingly powerful if you have enough other minions in play. Nearly every massive combo using robots involves this guy.

Their one action is really all they could possibly ask for. A way to draw more cards to set up their multi play turns. I’ve seen some amazing plays using them but again in 4 player I’ve also found myself unable to set up my combo before the game came to an end.

Tricksters

Light: Gremlin
Medium: Gnome
Heavy: Brownie
Champion: Leprechaun

I actually wasn’t too sure about these guys when I first saw them. I didn’t remember the players who had them seeming all that impressive. Then I played them and they quickly rose to being one of my favorite factions. What I like about them is it seems like all their minions have the “right” ability.

The Gremlin’s ability might not seem impressive but the Gremlin being this factions Lightweight minion is in the most danger of being killed. Hence having a lightweight minion with a defense to being killed ability if great. Forcing all other players to discard a random card is a pretty big deterrent against killing them. Most players will save a powerful card or two for just the right opportunity and the risk of losing said amazing card is just not worth killing a lightweight minion not to mention allowing the owner of the Gremlin to draw a card. Hence Gremlins are for the most part left alone once played which when you consider they are the most vulnerable to being killed is a very good thing. Of course there are other things you can do to them like returning them but being a lightweight they probably won’t be high on your opponent’s priorities.

The Gnome is neither impressive nor unimpressive. He can kill off other minions even strong ones if the setup is right and the Enshrouding Mist action assists him greatly.

Now you might have noticed me ripping on Heavy weights with “defense to being killed powers”. I really don’t feel there are enough abilities in this game which can kill power 4 minions to really be worth it. The Brownie on the other hand knows exactly where it’s at. While there might not be many which can easily kill a power 4 minions there sure are a lot that can mess with them. From moving them, to returning them to poisoning them there are a ton of creative ways to screw with a heavy weight. Not true for the Brownie. No one messes with the Brownie. Just like how the risk of losing a very good card from the Gremlin is usually more than enough to convince people not to kill them the risk of losing a good card to the Brownie is twice as high hence they pretty much always left alone and unlike defense to being killed the Brownie’s power is a defense to pretty much everything.

Lastly their champion is the Leprechaun and there really isn’t anything to say about him other than his strength is plainly obvious. Dump him on a base and that base instantly becomes much harder for opponents to play on.

Action wise the tricksters have some really nice ones. Pay the Piper and Flame Trap aren’t perfect but will stop several factions from playing on the respective bases. Now Block the Path is a really nice one since unlike Pay the Piper and Flame Trap there is no faction or minion which can work its way around it (Pay the Piper can be abused by Zombies while minions with Death protection can get around Flame Trap). Block the Path has saved me by stopping a player from being able to break a base for the win on his turn. Disenchant working on both PLay on minion and play on base actions is really nice and Take the Shinies is pretty good which can really mess an opponent up.

However as of now I think there is no better “Play on Base action” than Enshrouding Mist and the tricksters are very lucky to have 2 of them. It is not unusual to find yourself with a handful of minions and no good way to play them. Enshrouding Mist can grant you several of extra minion plays over many turns and there aren’t many factions which can remove it from a base once played.

Wizards

Light: Neophyte
Medium: Enchantress (-1)
Heavy: Chronomage (-1)
Champion: Archmage (-1)

Ah wizards. In a sense the Wizards are the exact opposite of the Dinosaurs. In exchange for giving up a lot of power the Wizards are the best at pulling off amazing multi-card combos (the Dinos got the exact opposite deal).

Wizards are all about playing many cards. Their cards mostly hinge on drawing a ton and playing what they draw with nearly every card in their deck allowing them to draw or play more cards. Even in 4 player where most factions cannot make it through most of their decks Wizards usually make it pretty close to the end.

Their minions really speak for themselves. Enchantress draws you cards while Chronomage
and Archmage lets you play more. Neophyte might let you play AND draw more if you get lucky or if you have a preview.

Their weakness is really obvious. In exchange for massive comboability (totally a word) they give up quite a lot of power being the only base game faction where multiple of their minion classes are docked a strength point. Hence they must make their plays count because otherwise they’ll find themselves losing to factions whose minions have a little more bite. Of course losing that strength point also makes it easier to kill Wizards so watch out. Especially the Archmage. He always has a hit placed on his head by all other players.

Their actions also reflect the Drawing and playing of cards. Time Loop and Summon get more cards out. Mystic Studies Portal, Sacrifice, Mystic Studies and Winds of Change all get you more cards in their own way. Mass Enchantment is the closest thing the wizards have to an attack and of course Scry is great to get that one action card you really want.

Zombies

Light: Walker
Medium: Tenacious Z (-1)
Heavy: Grave Digger
Champion:Zombie Lord

The Zombies are a bit of an unusual faction in my eyes. Many people will say they are the strongest faction and with good reason. Being able to take back and play cards from the discard is immensely strong. Someone once said Zombies start slow and finish fast which is very true. Playing good cards over and over again without needing a reshuffle is very desirable and works with every faction but the cards need to get their first use before they find themselves in the graveyard. However what I find so interesting about them is that most factions work really well with their own cards and just let neat combo’s arise with whatever faction they are paired with. however in the case of Zombies it seem like several of their cards work better with whatever faction they are paired with more so than with themselves. That might sound confusing but I’ll explain what I mean.

First off the Walker. It’s nice that Zombies comes last alphabetically since I’ll make the bold statement that I think that at least in the base game the Walker is the weakest minion in the game. I would rank the ability of every other lightweight minion above them and here’s a quick summary.
Alien Collector: A lightweight being able to mess with strength 3 minions is pretty good.
Dinosaur War Raptor: +1 strength automatically is hard to compete with
Ninja Ninja Acolyte: Can set up some pretty nifty combos
Pirate First Mate: Never “Naturally” discarded
Robot Zapbot: Free plays? Yes Please!!!
Trickster Gremlin: You don’t mess with the Gremlins
Wizard Neophyte: Rather than outright discarding the card being able to play it is much better.

The Walker really only Combos with Tenacious Z. Other than that it can be used to move garbage outa the way but really it’s not that good overall. The only nice thing is that by virtue of always being in a Zombie deck opponents are less likely to target it

Now Tenacious Z is a extremely good unit. Similar to the First Mate he won’t go away easily. However it seems a bunch of Zombie cards have abilities almost just for them. The Walkers for example want to turn up no other card more. Also I cannot see using Mall Crawl on any other minion but them. Really the only thing they fear are aliens who can put them in places they really don’t want to be but overall they are a really great unit.

The Grave Digger and Zombie Lord specialize in bringing units back from the graveyard and here what I said above about Zombies working better with their linked faction comes into play. First of all the Zombie Lord. As I implied above I think that the Walker is the weakest lightweight unit. Hence I pretty much always bring back the lightweight units of the linked faction first and only bring back Walkers when I’m out of other minions. For obvious reasons I don’t want to bring back Tenacious Z.

The Grave Digger finds himself in a similar situation. You aren’t going to use him on a Walker or on Tenacious Z. If the Zombie Lord is discarded he’s good to take back but you might have to wait a while until the bases are bare and he’s useful to play again. On the other hand if you have the champion of the other faction early then you will want to play him again and again. One of my most devastating victories was Zombie Dinosaurs with King Rex in my starting hand. He just came back again and again breaking base after base.

In a sense the Zombies want you to use good/powerful minions and they will help you use them again. However the Zombies themselves don’t actually supply you with the good/powerful minions to continually use so they have to rely on the linked faction to supply them.

Action wise Zombies have some great ones. They Keep Coming and Outbreak let you play more minions while Grave Robbing and They Keep Coming let you take things back from the discard but again it seems like rather than take Zombies back you are better off taking the power cards from other factions back again. Mall Crawl, Not Enough Bullets, and Lend a Hand are very Niche cards which have some use in the right situation. Overrun is the closest thing zombies have to an attack being the only card they have which affects other players. They’re Coming to Get You is probably their best action since what isn’t to like about being able to continually take minions back.


So there you have it. My views on the factions. I tried my best to be fair and consider the advantages and disadvantages of each. I didn't rate them but I do feel that all the factions are sufficiently balanced that I'm not too sad with whoever I get.
6 
 Thumb up
0.10
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper Birch
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review on the factions! I think you wrote it better than I did myself, so definitely for good use for newer players (and also experienced players). There are a few tiny things I don't agree with, but that's everybody's preference. :)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Really? I'd be interested to know what.

I have to confess something. Prior to playing my first 2 and 3 player games I had only played 4 player games. I didn't know at the time that we were supposed to have Number of Players +1 bases and thought that you had 5 bases no matter what which may have skewed my experience.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper Birch
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
Really? I'd be interested to know what.

I have to confess something. Prior to playing my first 2 and 3 player games I had only played 4 player games. I didn't know at the time that we were supposed to have Number of Players +1 bases and thought that you had 5 bases no matter what which may have skewed my experience.


-That Dinosaurs work better in 4 player games I have to disagree with. I am one of the players that think of Dinosaurs as a less powerful faction, and I mostly play 3 or 4-player games. Dinosaurs will almost always be attacked first or other players move around them, so they mostly have to do most of the work all by themselves.
-Robots definitely work amazing with 4 players as well and you can still pull off great combos, since there are 5 bases, so there is almost always one to mess with.
-I agree that Zombies are somehow helping the other faction more than themselves, but then again they do very impressive things with the faction they are teaming up, making them a very strong faction.

Also a few tiny little things as well, but these were probably the biggest ones.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
FredjeBono wrote:

-I agree that Zombies are somehow helping the other faction more than themselves, but then again they do very impressive things with the faction they are teaming up, making them a very strong faction.

Oh I wasn't implying that the Zombies were weaker than other factions. I was just making note of the fact that I felt in exchange for working better with most other factions Zombies seem to work not as well with themselves (relative to other factions). All factions have a little give and take so this is very fair.

FredjeBono wrote:

-Robots definitely work amazing with 4 players as well and you can still pull off great combos, since there are 5 bases, so there is almost always one to mess with.

Oh absolutely it's just that for a faction that relies on multi-card combos as much as they do you need to draw cards and since in my experience you draw fewer cards due to having fewer turns in 4 player they performed better in 2 player for me than in 4 player. In 4 player robots got me to the end game with a close score but floundered cause I couldn't draw enough of them to finish the game before someone else did. I'm not saying this is what will always happen but it's definitely something to keep in mind. Then again I've mostly played robots in 2/3 player where they performed very well but using the wrong rules when it came to base number so maybe the game went on longer than it should have.

Quote:
-That Dinosaurs work better in 4 player games I have to disagree with. I am one of the players that think of Dinosaurs as a less powerful faction, and I mostly play 3 or 4-player games. Dinosaurs will almost always be attacked first or other players move around them, so they mostly have to do most of the work all by themselves.


I'm sorry but what you are saying here doesn't make much sense to me. First you say that you think that Dinosaurs are a less powerful faction which is fair but the reason you give is that Dinosaurs will almost always be attacked first. If they are a less powerful faction why are they being attacked first? If anything people should be attacking the player who is in the lead or are you saying Dinosaurs are weak because they are so good that they will be attacked first (similar to what I was saying about the First Mate)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Sousa Campos
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One quick note.

You put the Warbot and the Buccaneer at the same lvl, but i think the Warbot its better for the fact you have more control over its power. Like you can use it to pass a gremlin. Or even a flame trap and clean the way for your microbots.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper Birch
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
FredjeBono wrote:
-That Dinosaurs work better in 4 player games I have to disagree with. I am one of the players that think of Dinosaurs as a less powerful faction, and I mostly play 3 or 4-player games. Dinosaurs will almost always be attacked first or other players move around them, so they mostly have to do most of the work all by themselves.


I'm sorry but what you are saying here doesn't make much sense to me. First you say that you think that Dinosaurs are a less powerful faction which is fair but the reason you give is that Dinosaurs will almost always be attacked first. If they are a less powerful faction why are they being attacked first? If anything people should be attacking the player who is in the lead or are you saying Dinosaurs are weak because they are so good that they will be attacked first (similar to what I was saying about the First Mate)?


Yes, I mean that Dinosaurs are so strong and everyone knows this that they will be likely to get attacked first (just like the First Mate), which yes, in theory means they are a strong faction, but in practice, at least with me and my friends, they don't end up winning that much.

Another thing I forgot to mention that I will disagree with, is that when me and my friends are playing (4 players), mostly at least one (and usually 2 or even more) will get through all of their decks, so I don't know if we just play it so differently or that we just don't all dump our minions on the same base and therefore games take longer, but usually a few players get all they way through their deck (sometimes even halfway through the second time). I mean, it seems hardly impossible to me with Wizards or Robots (or even Zombies) to not get almost through the end.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FredjeBono wrote:
allstar64 wrote:
FredjeBono wrote:
-That Dinosaurs work better in 4 player games I have to disagree with. I am one of the players that think of Dinosaurs as a less powerful faction, and I mostly play 3 or 4-player games. Dinosaurs will almost always be attacked first or other players move around them, so they mostly have to do most of the work all by themselves.


I'm sorry but what you are saying here doesn't make much sense to me. First you say that you think that Dinosaurs are a less powerful faction which is fair but the reason you give is that Dinosaurs will almost always be attacked first. If they are a less powerful faction why are they being attacked first? If anything people should be attacking the player who is in the lead or are you saying Dinosaurs are weak because they are so good that they will be attacked first (similar to what I was saying about the First Mate)?


Yes, I mean that Dinosaurs are so strong and everyone knows this that they will be likely to get attacked first (just like the First Mate), which yes, in theory means they are a strong faction, but in practice, at least with me and my friends, they don't end up winning that much.

Another thing I forgot to mention that I will disagree with, is that when me and my friends are playing (4 players), mostly at least one (and usually 2 or even more) will get through all of their decks, so I don't know if we just play it so differently or that we just don't all dump our minions on the same base and therefore games take longer, but usually a few players get all they way through their deck (sometimes even halfway through the second time). I mean, it seems hardly impossible to me with Wizards or Robots (or even Zombies) to not get almost through the end.


I will disagree with your dinosaur assessment as I feel they really are a very powerful faction, maybe the most powerful in larger games. A good Dino player isn't going to let him/herself get marginalized by playing on bases that have nothing on them. Dino's are sort of like ninjas. You bide your time while the other players start chipping away at a base and then drop the bomb. Dino's have the advantage of being able to score a base much more easily than the other factions. As long as you are patient, it should be easy to vulture bases away from others.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.