Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
NICK KOUKOS
Greece
HERAKLION ,CRETE
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are usually 4 in or gaming group and we enjoy Settlers of Catan very much. Which expansion do you recommend that we start with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruce freestone
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Catan: Seafarers - it expands the playing area without adding too much complexity. The sailing off and discovering new islands is a welcome addition. Catan: Cities & Knights really changes the game quite a bit so you might want to get that further down the line. I cannot comment on Catan: Traders & Barbarians because I haven't played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NICK KOUKOS
Greece
HERAKLION ,CRETE
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for the prompt reply.

...and thanks in advance for any further replies (cause I think there will be many of them)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Clinch
Scotland
Dundee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's a similar game rather than an expansion, but I personally like Starfarers of Catan. The fact that stuff actually gets to move around makes it rather more dynamic so there are far fewer turns consisting of roll dice, get a number that doesn't really help, don't have much to do, give dice to next player, and the Alien Encounters and generally fantastic bits add an extra sense of fun.

I quite like Seafarers, it's basically the same game but with far more choices of setup which encourage different approaches to play.

Cities and Knights I didn't really like, finding it added more detail and chrome than the game underneath could really take, but if you like lots of extra chrome it may well be just the thing. Though I suspect there are better designs if you want to develop cities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.