Recommend
31 
 Thumb up
 Hide
33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Structure of a run, text version for reference rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time I want to quote from the timing chart to explain stuff I have to bloody well open the PDF doc, and start copying stuff down. So I'm just making this shorthand version to stick here for reference purposes.

I've bookmarked this in my BGG Quickbar (anyone actually use that? I haven't realised it there till now) - very useful!

(The formatting only works if wrapped in code formatting)

Sources:
Official FAQ: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/android-netrun...
Official Rules: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/android-netrun...


Important timing notes:

1. During the run, Runner has priority, that means during any step, the runner gets to decide whether they wanna do anything first, before giving the corp a chance to do things. (rulebook page 21)

2. When both players has had a chance to do something, and one player passes, the phase ends and you move on to the next phase. (rulebook page 21)

3. According to above, a phase cannot end without both players having had a chance to act. (rulebook page 21)


Comprehensive version:

1. Runner starts, names server.
If there's ICE, goto 2.
If no ice, goto 4.
2. Approach outermost ICE.
2.1. Paid ability can be used
2.2. Jack out (Goto 6, cannot jack out if first piece of ICE encountered this run) or continue to 2.3.
2.3. Approached ICE can be rezzed
Paid ability can be used
cards can be rezzed.
2.4. Check if ICE is rezzed.
If rezzed, goto 3.
If unrezzed, and there's another piece of ICE, goto 2.
If unrezzed, and there's no more ICE, go to 4.
3. Runner Encounters Ice if rezzed.
3.1. Icebreakers can interact, Paid abilities can be used
3.2. Resolve all unbroken subroutines
...Either the run ends, goto 6
Or it continues, and there's another piece of ICE, goto 2.
Or it continues, and there's no more ICE, go to 4.
4. Runner approaches attacked server
4.1. Paid abilities can be used.
4.2. Runner decides:
To jack out, go to 6
or to continue, go to 4.3
4.3. Paid abilities may be used, cards may be rezzed.
4.4. Run is successful. Trigger abilities if any.
4.5. Access cards. Trigger abilities if any.
Agenda : Stolen (Unless additional cost)
Trash cost present : may be paid to trash
Everything not trashed or stolen is returned to server.
5. Run ends. Trigger abilities if any.
6. Run is unsuccessful. Trigger abilities if any.



Shorter version:

1. Runner starts, names server.
2. Approach outermost ICE.
2.1. Paid ability
2.2. Jack out (goto 6) or not
2.3. Approached ICE can be rezzed
Paid ability can be used
cards can be rezzed.
2.4. Check if ICE is rezzed.
3. Runner Encounters Ice if rezzed.
3.1. Icebreakers can interact
Paid abilities can be used
3.2. Resolve all unbroken subroutines
If run hasn't ended, and there's another piece of ICE, goto 2.
If run ended, goto 6.
4. Runner approaches attacked server
4.1. Paid abilities can be used.
4.2. Jack out (goto 6) or continue.
4.3. Paid abilities may be used
cards may be rezzed.
4.4. Run is successful. Trigger abilities if any.
4.5. Access cards. Trigger abilities if any.
5. Run ends. Trigger abilities if any.
6. Run is unsuccessful. Trigger abilities if any.



There is also a card-sized run timing chart that you can print out for reference:

41 
 Thumb up
2.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea! Two small things:

You should probably clarify in 2.2 that you can't jack out "if not first ice approached this run" and not "first piece of ICE" - this is because you can potentially jack out while approaching the first piece of ice in the server if you were Cell Portal'd back into it.

And in 2.3 only the approached ice can be rezzed, not just any ice.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mateui wrote:
Great idea! Two small things:

You should probably clarify in 2.2 that you can't jack out "if not first ice approached this run" and not "first piece of ICE" - this is because you can potentially jack out while approaching the first piece of ice in the server if you were Cell Portal'd back into it.

And in 2.3 only the approached ice can be rezzed, not just any ice.


Good points, thanks Added to v1. The shorter version I'm keeping bare minimal
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Hall
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Added. Didn't even notice the quickbar. Thanks for writing this!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to appeal to everyone to make use of this really simple and quick list to check up on how the steps of the run works, many many questions can be answered simply by looking at this.

And bookmark it in your quickbar!

Thanks
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Concise. Dig it. Well done.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A caution on your short version and a nit I have with the timing diagram as published by FFG.

I would actually have preferred that steps 5 and 6 be swapped with 'new step 5' being 'Run is declared unsuccessful, go to step 6' and step 6 being 'Run is over'.

As you have it in your short version, you cannot get to (existing) step 6.

I have a computer science background, and when you 'fall through' the order like this, funny things can happen.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Taylor
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bookmark'd! Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
A caution on your short version and a nit I have with the timing diagram as published by FFG.

I would actually have preferred that steps 5 and 6 be swapped with 'new step 5' being 'Run is declared unsuccessful, go to step 6' and step 6 being 'Run is over'.

As you have it in your short version, you cannot get to (existing) step 6.

I have a computer science background, and when you 'fall through' the order like this, funny things can happen.



k, I'll edit in the go to 6 things. It was supposed to be the short short version...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Clarification:
2.3 should read "approached ice can be rezzed"

The term 'encountered' should not be used until step 3.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
notyetsuperman wrote:
Clarification:
2.3 should read "approached ice can be rezzed"

The term 'encountered' should not be used until step 3.


Corrected, thanks for the input
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Valuable bathroom real estate!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I bookmarked, printed and laminated this run chart. It's just that damn useful.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mrspank wrote:
I bookmarked, printed and laminated this run chart. It's just that damn useful.


Why not print/laminate the official run chart from FFG?

I use this too, for responding to posts, so I get the bookmark thing, but this chart is not 'truth'. Only FFG's FAQ is truth.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mrspank wrote:
I bookmarked, printed and laminated this run chart. It's just that damn useful.


If you wanna print something, you can print this little reference card I made - otherwise why not just use the rulebook's version?

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/927720/run-structure-referen...

Cheers!

ninjad in my own thread!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
She wore! She wore! She wore a yellow ribbon! She wore a yellow ribbon in the merry month of May, And when I asked her why she wore that ribbon,
badge
She said, "It's for the Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!" Wembley! Wembley! We’re the famous Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
mrspank wrote:
I bookmarked, printed and laminated this run chart. It's just that damn useful.


Why not print/laminate the official run chart from FFG?

I use this too, for responding to posts, so I get the bookmark thing, but this chart is not 'truth'. Only FFG's FAQ is truth.


New Pope - Christian Petersen?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
Avatar
vantageGT wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
mrspank wrote:
I bookmarked, printed and laminated this run chart. It's just that damn useful.


Why not print/laminate the official run chart from FFG?

I use this too, for responding to posts, so I get the bookmark thing, but this chart is not 'truth'. Only FFG's FAQ is truth.


New Pope - Christian Petersen?

I just think Mr Carpenter prefers to speak in absolutes. It comes across as fundamentalism from time to time.
Maybe it's the computer background.

Quote:
A wife asks her husband, a computer programmer, “Would you please go to the store for me and buy a carton of milk? And if they have eggs, get six.”

A short time later the husband comes back with 6 cartons of milk.

The wife asks him, “Why the hell did you buy 6 cartons of milk?”

He replied, “They had eggs.”

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My point is that the all-text *copy* of the timing chart had multiple errors in it which had to be corrected and is not 'truth' with regards to the timing diagram.

If you're going to print/laminate something, why not go to the original source and not a potentially inaccurate copy?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Do I understand correctly that Corp. Troubleshooter must be rezzed in 2.3? If it's rezzed in 3.1 the Runners actions happen first.

I'm trying to figure out if Troubleshooter ever makes sense on Bioroids? Obviously it makes sense when its the last click... but want to see if I can choose to rez, trash and use it after they've commited to encountering it by breaking with credits.. (I don't think so...)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Keys
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Interrupt.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
notyetsuperman wrote:
Do I understand correctly that Corp. Troubleshooter must be rezzed in 2.3? If it's rezzed in 3.1 the Runners actions happen first.

I'm trying to figure out if Troubleshooter ever makes sense on Bioroids? Obviously it makes sense when its the last click... but want to see if I can choose to rez, trash and use it after they've commited to encountering it by breaking with credits.. (I don't think so...)


Corporate Troubleshooter needs to be used in 2.3. Technically you could rez it earlier and then use the paid ability during 3.1, but that would make it useless, since you wouldn't get a chance to use it until after the Runner was finished using their icebreakers and paid abilities.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
skiesbleed wrote:
notyetsuperman wrote:
Do I understand correctly that Corp. Troubleshooter must be rezzed in 2.3? If it's rezzed in 3.1 the Runners actions happen first.

I'm trying to figure out if Troubleshooter ever makes sense on Bioroids? Obviously it makes sense when its the last click... but want to see if I can choose to rez, trash and use it after they've commited to encountering it by breaking with credits.. (I don't think so...)


Corporate Troubleshooter needs to be used in 2.3. Technically you could rez it earlier and then use the paid ability during 3.1, but that would make it useless, since you wouldn't get a chance to use it until after the Runner was finished using their icebreakers and paid abilities.


I am thinking it has to be used in 2.3 as well though. Raising the strength in 3.1 means that the runner would interact with the ICE first, break its subroutines, then Trouble Shooter raises the strength of an ICE which is already broken. Any way, this is the reason for my question....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Added "Trigger abilities if any" at End Run, as Doppleganger kind of triggers there. Kind of.

(Thanks @beelzeben)

Also added that to Accessing cards, since that's where ASH triggers.

But honestly I don't think these "trigger abilities if any" are needed - we should be able to tell, really.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Kenyon
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
flag msg tools
mb
I really don't like this part of the timing structure of a run -

4.2. Runner decides:
To jack out, go to 6
or to continue, go to 4.3
4.3. Paid abilities may be used, cards may be rezzed.
4.4. Run is successful. Trigger abilities if any.

It seems INCREDIBLY broken.

So, if the Corp gets 3 DRT on the table, then places a snare, the runner runs the snare, if the Runner doesn't jack out they just straight up lose, this seems incredibly broken.

Once the runner wants to access cards the corp shouldn't be allowed to rez anything. It adds much more bluffing and intrigue into the game. Myself and my group have been playing it "wrong" for a long time now, honestly I do not at all like the timing of a run anymore.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chiefyk wrote:
I really don't like this part of the timing structure of a run -

4.2. Runner decides:
To jack out, go to 6
or to continue, go to 4.3
4.3. Paid abilities may be used, cards may be rezzed.
4.4. Run is successful. Trigger abilities if any.

It seems INCREDIBLY broken.

So, if the Corp gets 3 DRT on the table, then places a snare, the runner runs the snare, if the Runner doesn't jack out they just straight up lose, this seems incredibly broken.

Once the runner wants to access cards the corp shouldn't be allowed to rez anything. It adds much more bluffing and intrigue into the game. Myself and my group have been playing it "wrong" for a long time now, honestly I do not at all like the timing of a run anymore.


If the Corp gets 3 DRT out at the same time, they deserve to win.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Kenyon
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
flag msg tools
mb
So if the corp plays 3 DRT in one turn, then you run R&D, take the tag from Data Raven, you lose. That seems like terrible design.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
chiefyk wrote:
So if the corp plays 3 DRT in one turn, then you run R&D, take the tag from Data Raven, you lose. That seems like terrible design.

I wonder why nobody actually plays DRT, heh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.