Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
Welcome to the finals of the 43rd Stare Out Tournament. Press Esc to start.
mb
Taking the risk, that I'm making a fool of myself, but I stared the board an embarrassingly long time and can't find SoAG anywhere on the 2-4 player side. I haven't found anything regarding this neither in the rules, nor here. Am I missing something?

More interestingly, (if it really isn't there) I'm curious what's the reason behind omitting it. We've played on both sides of the board, and can't really think any solid reason why couldn't it used with two or four. Does it have to do something with game balance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud MATAGOT
France
Bordeaux
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right there isn't. It is not omitted. Only the Gods of Egypt know why, but the Authors were very clear about that.

So yes it is game balance, even does not match the "game play impact" of the sanctuary. Much better to play with odd number of players. Not that you may try for yourself using the other side and forbidding some territories...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
Welcome to the finals of the 43rd Stare Out Tournament. Press Esc to start.
mb
Thanks Arnaud!
I asked just out of curiosity, and I could have been OK with either layout. However, knowing that the designers are so adamant about not using the Sanctuary on one side, I now really want to try it with four players, adding SoAG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasted fifteen minutes looking for this. It would have been pretty simple to point this out in the rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MDJD wrote:
I wasted fifteen minutes looking for this. It would have been pretty simple to point this out in the rule book.

It's mentioned in the rulebook, but it's in a weird place and it's not totally explicit.

On the last page, under the tactical advice section, it does say that depending on the configuration of the game, there may or may not be a sanctuary of all gods in the Nile delta area of the board.

I agree that it could have been made more clear. It's not the greatest rulebook I've read, but I don't think it's as terrible as some are making it out to be here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Meenachan
United States
Delray Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
KILLER QUEEN: BITES THE DUST!
badge
ShaRog Master Race
mbmbmbmbmb
pkreynolds wrote:

I agree that it could have been made more clear. It's not the greatest rulebook I've read, but I don't think it's as terrible as some are making it out to be here.

Agreed. It's got issues, but its LEAGUES above some other rulebooks I've read. ::cough:: Lifeboats ::cough::

Many thanks to the OP for posting this thread, as I had the same question the first time I played and still wasn't sure if we played it right afterwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing with two players last week it's easy to see why there is no sanctuary - if it was there the entire game would be spent fighting over it. Much better strategic options without it.

Also, with three and five players, the presence of the sanctuary reduces the likelihood of an odd number of players ganging up on a single player since it will always be a strong focal point for all players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
surprise Actually, its one of those magical places that only appears every 100 years! Just wait a while...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.