BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Life as game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Max Leonard Hitchings
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I have what might be considered a bizarre idea for a thread here!

I am sure there has been plenty of research done on the benefits of game playing, how the mind may be trained to solve problems in business and social contexts, how playing games may increase our appreciation of logic, strategy and how to deal with, well, the cards we're dealt.

While I won't presume to add to this research in any truly academic way, I'd be really interested to hear any accounts people may have of experiencing this phenomenon.

Here's an example of what I mean:
The train I ride to work every day is always ludicrously full by the time I get on. A seat is never available at the start of my journey, so here is a game I play. I try to make a snap assessment of the people sat on the train, based on a number of factors: clothing, activity engaged in, demeanour, age and group size.
If I spot somebody wearing workboots etc, eg builder/labourer, I will stand near them. They are usually travelling a very short distance for some reason (I am guessing that they are from out of of town and staying near to their temporary workplace until their contract finishes). Following the pattern of where they get off can help predict this "type's" movements for a while, as I learn where local developments are taking place. I will never stand next to somebody watching a film on their iPad, as I assume they're in it for the long haul. Reading a massive book - not likely to get off soon. Flicking quickly through a paper - just maybe.
There is a lot of competition from other people playing this game. Positioning is important, as there is a strange etiquette in play - a seat must be won fair and square - by being the closest to it and, crucially, at the correct angle - if this is poorly judged, someone else can swing in there first. I find it helps to make a barrier on one side of your target, so that they have to exit the other side, allowing you to slip quickly in almost as their bum leaves the seat.
I also watch for the usual signs of readying to leave, eg packing bag and putting on gloves, however opponents are watching hawklike for the same signs.
I may have an advantage over them though - as people tend to be creatures of habit, I am sometimes lucky enough to see a previous success. Naturally I make a bee-line for that person.
With two feet, I am sometimes able to 'mark' two places. Two builders in a row then, would be my ideal hand.

Please post similar musings here!

Best
Xithi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds really interesting! Google out concept of Gamification.

Also, title of your post reminded me of an iOS app Epic Win, which can be used to set up real life quests for yourself, which reward you with xp and loot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was young (10?), I realized that all of life (in modern society) is a game. If you play by the rules, you get the perks. I may not have gotten to hang out with the cool kids much, but overall the strategy has served me well.

I view driving as mostly a cooperative game.

Can't think of other specific examples right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything we do all day long is a game. You have a preferred outcome to almost everything, so you try to make the moves to achieve it. These can be as simple as standing in the right like, saying the right words, timing your travel and errands to be during low usage periods, etc...

You're playing it whether you intend to or not, so why not become aware of it and play to win?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Kohut
United States
military/mobile
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Very interesting Xithi.
Now if you can only use your Sherlockian powers on the side of Good, the world would be a better place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.