BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for an epic feeling Sci-Fi/Space game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyson Wozniak
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
So I'm looking for a Sci-Fi/Space themed board game but there are a few stipulations.

1. I'd like to be able to play it with only 2 players. More would be great so we can play it with a group too, but a lot of the time it is just my wife and I or me and a friend. So it HAS to have a 2 player option.

2. Not to long. Twilight Emperium looks really cool but I've heard way to many stories of 3-6hr games. That is just too long. 1-2hrs is ideal.

3. I LOVE cool pieces. Cool board, plastic ships, tokens, tiles, cards, you name it. Love it all.

4. I don't want just a card game. Someone recently recommended the new Star Wars game and Race For The Galaxy. While those may be great games I have plenty of card games and deck building games. I don't need another one. If it doesn't have a board or tiles and pieces, I'm not interested.

So with all that in mind, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn von Knorring
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
The picture is a swedish cartoon-figure Herman Hedning. English info here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Hedning
mbmbmbmbmb
One word: Eclipse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tysonxy wrote:
So I'm looking for a Sci-Fi/Space themed board game but there are a few stipulations.

1. I'd like to be able to play it with only 2 players. More would be great so we can play it with a group too, but a lot of the time it is just my wife and I or me and a friend. So it HAS to have a 2 player option.

2. Not to long. Twilight Emperium looks really cool but I've heard way to many stories of 3-6hr games. That is just too long. 1-2hrs is ideal.

3. I LOVE cool pieces. Cool board, plastic ships, tokens, tiles, cards, you name it. Love it all.

4. I don't want just a card game. Someone recently recommended the new Star Wars game and Race For The Galaxy. While those may be great games I have plenty of card games and deck building games. I don't need another one. If it doesn't have a board or tiles and pieces, I'm not interested.

So with all that in mind, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Space Empires: 4X

1. It has a 2-player option.

2. It has a small map option that should play in 1-1.5 hours.

3. The board is gorgeous and nothing's cooler than pretty counters.

4. It's not a card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hutchinson
New Zealand
Waitakere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StarCraft: The Board Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bowers
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exodus: Proxima Centauri
Empires of the Void
May be worth looks as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
myth1202 wrote:

if you know how to play this it is just a 1.5 hr game for 2 people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium! You asked for "epic" doesn't that mean 6hrs?!

In all honesty, with the expansions you can get an eight player game done in four hours (with lots of secret conversations). Therefore a two player should easily fall into your normal times lot range.

It does have everything on your list, especially with the expansions- new units, senate members and senate assassins... Too cool.

Edit- out group can do this in 4 hrs now, but we all know the game. It took all nighters in the beginning for 6 and 8 player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Twilight Imperium is the only 4x game that provides the feeling of epic. Sorry.

But I guess you could play Eclipse. It is not epic, but it does provide that poor man's TI3 feel. So I think it will fit your needs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'ld look at Space Empires and Eclipse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
For the King!
badge
I bend all elements!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hegemonic is on Kickstarter right now, and it might fit the bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smith
Canada
Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest Eclipse or Throne World.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Trek: Fleet Captains sounds about perfect. It's built around two players, has all the chits and counters you could want, and includes two dozen starships with clicky bases.

Another option is to buy a tactical starship game with a campaign system, and play through that. That will let you play multiple 1-3 hour games that tie together into an epic experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've heard 3-6 hours for TI3 would be a speed game. Horror stories abound of that game taking basically days to play.

And yeah, Eclipse is a good one - I've only played it online so far but it's very cool. Once you have a couple of games under your belt a 2-3 player game will probably only take a couple of hours. (That first learning game is going to be loooong though).

I also keep hearing good things about Space Empires: 4X, but haven't had a chance to play it yet. It doesn't have the "cool bits" requirement you mentioned (it's a cardboard chit and hex game), but it also comes in as about half the price of Eclipse as well due to that, so there's that to consider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian S.
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gears of War: The Board Game seems to tick all of your boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon DeS***
United Kingdom
Sheffield
SouthYorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i'd suggest that you can't get too epic in less than 3 hours, but...

Eclipse works fine with 2 players but there isn't much conflict or player interaction. It plays more like a resource management euro but with attacking some random neutral enemy ships.

I haven't played it, because its hard to get hold of but Imperium by GDW is supposed to be a very good epic with 2 players, but it wont meet your plastic requirements http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3661/imperium

I'd also suggest Twilight Imperium 2nd edition. Its shorter and simpler than 3rd ed, and whilst i've never tried it with 2 players, it would work. It has plastic ships and is shorter than TI3 ( a 6 player game takes about 4 or 5 hours, but 2 player could clock in under 2 hours easily ). Its harder to find, but tends to be cheap due to its age and the popularity of TI3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Carroll
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Galactic Emperor . . . it is TI3-lite . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf
Switzerland
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the above posters: Epicness will cost you time. You might want to check these Geeklists for more information.
While I have been wanting to check out Conquest of Paradise for a while, it can't compete with TI3. Once you truly have experienced its epicness, you too won't be satisfied with less.
Quote:
"This is the best game ever. And I really don't care if I'm the only person on Earth who thinks so. It goes without saying that if you didn't like the first 2 editions you won't like this one. Me? I loved 2nd edition, and love this one even more. If it were a woman I'd make sweet sweet love to it down by the fire."

--Paul Ollenberger (Wyrenn)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freddieyu wrote:
myth1202 wrote:

if you know how to play this it is just a 1.5 hr game for 2 people.

It can be made quicker with the expansion.

Exodus: Proxima Centauri is more of a Ameritrash take on 4x and in the spirit of TI3. Space Empires: 4X is more wargame. Hegemonic is a more abstract thinking man's 4x. Eclipse is more euro and economical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Earth Reborn?

Also three hours Twilight Imperium? =P Where have you heard about such a thing? =P

I think a more common description is 6-.. 8? hours?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
Earth Reborn?

Also three hours Twilight Imperium? =P Where have you heard about such a thing? =P

I'm pretty sure they were talking about a two player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Mintkawetz
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse for sure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gassett
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me Eclipse is just an overly-complicated/fiddly version of Galactic Emperor. Take that FWIW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rathburn
United States
Roseville
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ECLIPSE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
www.therulesforge.com
badge
Get your slimy, webbed phalanges off ma boots!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll also recommend Hegemonic.

As for your criteria:
1. The game supports 2-6 players, and I have heard from folks at the publishing company that the game is very fun with just 2. I am thankful for this, because like you, I do a lot of my gaming in 2P situations.

2. The BGG entry says about 180 minutes, so that might be pushing the edge of your range, but I'm sure a 2P game runs about half of that.

3. The game is going to look awesome. Head on over to the Kickstarter page and check it out: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/miniongames/hegemonic-4x...
What is cool is that the KS campaign has some awesome stretch goals for adding more swag and upgraded components to the game.

4. Definitely a board game!

Pledging $69 (plus Canadian shipping, in your case) for a copy of the game with ALL STRETCH GOALS is pretty much a steal when you look at how expensive other "epic" sci-fi games are (CoolStuffInc prices: Twilight Imperium III for $58, Eclipse for $65, Proxima Centauri for $98). I'll encourage you to join the fight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
Earth Reborn?

Earth Reborn doesn't feel very epic. It's more like a Accountants Reborn. (I like it for what it is, but not for what it's supposed to be).

Our first 6+ player games of Twilight were indeed ALL night long. But with time/learning and new victory point options we consistently nail 6+ player games in 4 hrs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.