Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Simple mulligan rule rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Klaude Thomas
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been talked about. So here is a suggested rule framing.

Once before any player chooses tactics, players with no Move X cards in their starting hands may reveal their cards and then shuffle them back in and draw again.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aurax golden chubby dragon
msg tools
Sounds good for new players and first games, I wouldnt restrict it to "no move" though

However with 6 movements cards in the starting deck + 1 improvisation to convert any other non-move in 3/5 movement, plus the extra chances provided by taking "rethink" or "great start" as tactics and/or maybe using tranquility to draw 1 or 2 extras cards... you will need to be in the realms of EXTREMELY unlucky people to not be able to move in the first turn...

The mathematical probability of drawing 5 cards from 16 and not getting any of the 7 that allow you to move (this is before considering the tactics cards mentioned above and the use of tranquility) is fortunately way lower than 1 in 10000
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always play non-wound cards sideways for +1 Move. So with a minimum hand limit of 5 and a maximum terrain cost of 5, so long as you don't have any wounds in your hand and are not surrounded by rampaging enemies, you can always move.

Having impassible terrain on one side, a draconum on another, and an orc on the other, and not enough cards to fight either one of them off, is quite another matter.
yuk
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aurax wrote:
The mathematical probability of drawing 5 cards from 16 and not getting any of the 7 that allow you to move (this is before considering the tactics cards mentioned above and the use of tranquility) is fortunately way lower than 1 in 10000


I have no idea where you got this. The actual probability is 2.88%, or 1 in 35. If it were 1 in 10000, we wouldn't be discussing it.

But I don't personally think you should count the Swiftness cards. The chance of not drawing any of the "pure movement cards" (the cards that let you move 4+, and don't reduce your combat potential for the round) is 10.6%, or 1 in 9. When you don't draw any of those five cards, often you can recover, but there are other times when you do get left behind.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aurax golden chubby dragon
msg tools
DaviddesJ wrote:
aurax wrote:
The mathematical probability of drawing 5 cards from 16 and not getting any of the 7 that allow you to move (this is before considering the tactics cards mentioned above and the use of tranquility) is fortunately way lower than 1 in 10000


I have no idea where you got this. The actual probability is 2.88%, or 1 in 35. If it were 1 in 10000, we wouldn't be discussing it.

But I don't personally think you should count the Swiftness cards. The chance of not drawing any of the "pure movement cards" (the cards that let you move 4+, and don't reduce your combat potential for the round) is 10.6%, or 1 in 9. When you don't draw any of those five cards, often you can recover, but there are other times when you do get left behind.


You are right, I had the calculations grossly wrong :S Your 2.5% is right.

lol

I feel that with the available tactics, tranquility, improvisation, and even just crystallizing to draw one you are not usually badly harmed for not getting movement. 2.5% of not getting any move is still an acceptable chance imho...

But I play mainly cooperative, so for competitive games my perception can change.

I still feel that the most limiting factor at the start is the tile disposition. Maybe I had a wrong impression (like my calculations lol) but the snowball depends a lot on the initial tile placement...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aurax wrote:
But I play mainly cooperative, so for competitive games my perception can change.


Yes, that would make a huge difference. The primary problem with lacking early movement is being left behind so that other players snowball faster than you, and there aren't sites or units or opportunities left by the time you get to them. None of that should be an issue in cooperative games, you can convince the other players to leave you a plan.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aurax golden chubby dragon
msg tools
I agree with the mulligan for competitive then Or maybe players could directly take one of the staminas or march cards from their deck, and then draw other 4 random cards?

(then probably another rule about not depleting blue and green mana will be needed hehehe)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, a potential problem with giving everyone Stamina/March at the beginning is depletion of green/blue mana. But still, you can preferentially take an early tactic if you really need the mana that's in the pool, or Mana Draw of course. And there will also be players with multiple move cards who want to use their mana for something else.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.