Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday we played our first game.
As both my sons were eager to try it, I gave them each two wariors while I supervised the demon.

Allthough we all really liked the components, the game... not so.
My eldest didn't have a clue asto what we were doing most of the time and I myself at times didn't really know what to do with the demon side.
My youngest really likes it, any game that allows him to kill monsters is apparenlty a sure winnner.

I'm guessing it lost a bit in translation, at times the text seemed a bit puzzeling.
The action fase of the demons was a bit cnofusing to me, half of the time you don't know what to do with the dice and we probably didn't handle combat as we should have either.

At one point it became a bit boring to me, throw dice, move demons, have a fight and than it starts again.

I was sure we were doing something wrong and going through the thread I allready discovered I totaly messed up the placing demons thing.
And I have a feeling the whole combat thing wasn't really handled as should have either.

So I wonder if there is any thread on here that will give me a step by step explanation of the game without all the beautifull distractions of the rule book.

Now to me it was suprising we didnt'experience the joy and exitement that other people find in this game, so therefore I'm sure we played it all wrong.
Rules seem easy enough (I did read through them several times, but maybe I took them to lightly which made me missunderstand) and well described, but as said I suspect, or rather sincerely hope, we still did things wrong.

Please help me enjoy this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
Yesterday we played our first game.
As both my sons were eager to try it, I gave them each two wariors while I supervised the demon.

Allthough we all really liked the components, the game... not so.
My eldest didn't have a clue asto what we were doing most of the time and I myself at times didn't really know what to do with the demon side.
My youngest really likes it, any game that allows him to kill monsters is apparenlty a sure winnner.

I'm guessing it lost a bit in translation, at times the text seemed a bit puzzeling.
The action fase of the demons was a bit cnofusing to me, half of the time you don't know what to do with the dice and we probably didn't handle combat as we should have either.

At one point it became a bit boring to me, throw dice, move demons, have a fight and than it starts again.

I was sure we were doing something wrong and going through the thread I allready discovered I totaly messed up the placing demons thing.
And I have a feeling the whole combat thing wasn't really handled as should have either.

So I wonder if there is any thread on here that will give me a step by step explanation of the game without all the beautifull distractions of the rule book.

Now to me it was suprising we didnt'experience the joy and exitement that other people find in this game, so therefore I'm sure we played it all wrong.
Rules seem easy enough (I did read through them several times, but maybe I took them to lightly which made me missunderstand) and well described, but as said I suspect, or rather sincerely hope, we still did things wrong.

Please help me enjoy this game.

Maybe you should have played the human side with the youngest and let the oldest play the trogs. The demons are a little easier to play. The hard decisions for the humans are when and if to split the group to achieve your objectives fast enough before the oncoming storm.

Look at a Sphere's session report to help with the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walkingshaw
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the link to Sphere's review/session report, tssfulk mentioned. It's got a complete annotated play through that will probably be very helpful for you.

The Dirty 1/4 Dozen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son (12y.o. at the time) hated it (he was the human, me the demon).
He played it another time with a couple of adult friends (basically keeping each one figure) and, being "forced" to listen and explain the reasoning about what strategy to use, he discovered and grasped the deep of the game, and now likes it a lot.

So, while learning it step by step is really useful, try to "induce" this kind of reasoning out loud by adding friends to some game (yes, being killed and playing no more is'nt that fun, but in this case it is for a goal )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Valle del Kas
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost
mbmbmbmbmb
parduz wrote:
My son (12y.o. at the time) hated it (he was the human, me the demon).
He played it another time with a couple of adult friends (basically keeping each one figure) and, being "forced" to listen and explain the reasoning about what strategy to use, he discovered and grasped the deep of the game, and now likes it a lot.

So, while learning it step by step is really useful, try to "induce" this kind of reasoning out loud by adding friends to some game (yes, being killed and playing no more is'nt that fun, but in this case it is for a goal )

Yes!
True
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice.

Knowing Sphere, he'll probably have something usefull to say.

The game, with it's great components has a lot going for it, but what I think we missed was the claustrophobic feeling we expected.
no doubt cause we played it wrong-ish.

Next time we'll play in a dark room wearing plastic bags on our heads, that should give us the right mood.
{not to mention make us all sound like Darth Vader}
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Veltre
United States
Middleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
Thanks for the advice.

Knowing Sphere, he'll probably have something usefull to say.

The game, with it's great components has a lot going for it, but what I think we missed was the claustrophobic feeling we expected.
no doubt cause we played it wrong-ish.

Next time we'll play in a dark room wearing plastic bags on our heads, that should give us the right mood.
{not to mention make us all sound like Darth Vader}

There is a file section here and there are player aids created that explain the phases and the order in which to take them. Print a couple of them out. The rule book wonderfully explains the game and very easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, but things have a habbit of getting confused in translation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soul Mox
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Another tip, dont play the humans with two players because dice (and skills such as blessing, bodyguard) are used amongst the worriers. It is easier to share the demons, imho.
Apart from it, i experienced that when with three players, i really enjoy watching the other 2 players play. When playing together, let THEM decide what to do, only ask questions to imply certain moves, it will give them most satisfaction and they will learn from mistakes.

Also be aware that the human player most often is weaker than the demon player (in most scenarios). Dont let them get demotivated when they loose

Hope it helps.
Regards, Soul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Barnes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest playing it with just 2 people, as it is intended. I could see the game possibly working with more, but the decisions need to be made to benefit the entire team. Many times sacrifices must be made, and player elimination sucks in any game.

The Humans are basically trying to rush through the level as fast as they can, while covering their asses the entire time. It isn't like this in every scenario, but for the most part this is the case. Sticking together is key, the hard decision comes when you are going for an objective, and need to split your party ... THAT is when the game gets intense.

The Demon is basically just building threat and cards to eventually hit the heroes hard when they leave themselves open. Some cards can help open up this opportunity, but throwing a few trogs at the humans every turn isn't going to get you anywhere, usually. Try to split up the group, and pick off the stragglers.

There is a lot going on in the game, and my guess is you were doing a few things fundamentally wrong if it wasn't fun or not really making sense. This is probably one of my favorite 2 player games, next to Android: Netrunner at the moment.

Read over the rules again, and get another few games under your belt. You could even have your sons play each other and you kind of watch on the sidelines and clarify/look up rule questions. Like any game, it is going to take a few plays before you nail the rules down and start understanding the mechanics on a deeper level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Watch them play and referee.
Now there a novel suggestion I'd not yet considered.

Thanks, might just try that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calvin chow
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another idea would be to just let them pick the stat line for the humans... It would make it simpler to split up the characters among players...

You could balance the demons out with more thread points, or an extra die, or something... Or just give the humans the extra advantage...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.