Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vaughan Edge
United Kingdom
Cheshire
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When i bought the deluxe version of this game i seem to recall reading that if you opted to use the new OPTIONAL cards then you shouldn't play with the chinese civil war variant. However i haven't really found the optional cards to address the balance that much in favour of the USA player. After skimming through the rules i can't find where it says you should use the OPTIONAL cards OR the civil war variant. Have i imagined this? I'm thinking of using both rules together or is this not advised?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's not rulebook advice, but advice from those experienced with the game. The optional cards do swing things towards the US by a bit, and the game was already close to balanced, so the optional cards is just enough of a push that the Civil War isn't needed as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughan Edge
United Kingdom
Cheshire
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow really! I always find myself on the backfoot as the USA. Although stupidly i didn,t counter USSR influence in the middle east and had OPEC pulled on me twice. Similar thing in South Americas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
There is no reason why you shouldn't use CCW & optionals together. Its statistically the most balanced option there is (though the data is very low).

I don't however like CCW, since its usually equal to "no china card" variant (& too much extra rules for my taste).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a comment made by Jason Matthews over on CSW at one point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yes, Jason said on the CSW that CCW & optionals were not playtested together. In fact CCW was not playtested at all as far as I know. However there is nothing indicating that they do not work together. In contrary CCW reduces "no turn 7 resuffle" problem which has come up a few times after optionals.

I was a part of the optional cards playtest team and so rare people would be as happy as me, if the optionals balanced the game completely. Now wargameroom has started to give US +1IP with optionals (because stats were not balanced) and my gut feeling is that it will raise to 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.