Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Why do you get three copies of ID cards in the expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phoneix Trent
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Since you only ever have one in play at a time I dont see why you need three of them? Seems a bit of a waste, if you took them out there would be more room in the expansion for other cards. Or am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's presumably to do with the economies of printing.

The best idea I've heard is to put two back-to-back in a clear sleeve - that way you won't accidentally shuffle them in (or at least it's easier to get them out again).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis de Vries
Netherlands
Deventer
flag msg tools
Ah, doctor, that aneasthetic is perfect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

About your question: there is already a lot of discussion on this subject... (try to search before you post, I know there are already a lot of threads here on Netrunner, so I can imagine that you didn't find it and want to post it).

Most positive answers I read were that you could use 2 ID cards back to back in one sleeve, so you wouldn't shuffle them in anymore (see above ). That leaves one card for giving to others who don't want to buy a data pack, but would like to build a deck around the new ID.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoneix Trent
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks guys. At least it wasnt some mad rule that I had missed about changing identities mid game or something

I did try a search before but it wasnt yielding an answer and I am annoyingly impatient when it comes to any kind of string searches.

Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conny Karlsson
Sweden
Skövde
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drink!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Druni wrote:

Ahhh... you beat me to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would have been nice if they included the missing 1 ofs from the core set with each ID. E.G. the HB ID could come with 2* Corporate Troubleshooter instead of 3*HB. Wizzard could come with an Ice Carver and Grimoire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gondorf wrote:
I did try a search before but it wasnt yielding an answer and I am annoyingly impatient when it comes to any kind of string searches.

"Three identity cards" leads to a bunch of results Another trick is to use google:

site:boardgamegeek.com android netrunner three identity cards

Welcome to BGG and welcome to Netrunner!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Braun
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Father Jack, is that you!?!

Feck! Arse! Drink!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dalembraun wrote:
Father Jack, is that you!?!

Feck! Arse! Drink!

I think this forum needs a sticky FAQ/FOCS* file.

*(Frequently Offered Clever Suggestions)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Garrett
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
The Ball is round, the game lasts 90 minutes. Everything else is....
mbmbmbmb
Sinquetica wrote:
(Printing is expensive, so FFG cuts corners on production costs where they can. Cards are printed in 60-card sheets, so it would cost them more to go through the labor of removing the extra copies of the ID, so they don't. You get more as a result. Tadah)

See, I've never quite understood this either. I don't have a problem with the three identity distribution. But it seems to me that if they do print 60 card sheets then they can do whatever they would like with those 2 extra spaces on the single sheet. Such as reprinting 1 of's from Core, or printing errataed versions of cards or even special token or reminder cards.

But then I guess you would have people bitching about having one copy of said card from then on if the game gets to a point where you can ignore buying a Core.

Are we certain that they don't print in smaller 20 card sheets that makes this argument moot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manick74 wrote:

Are we certain that they don't print in smaller 20 card sheets that makes this argument moot?

Unless something has changed this is an uncut sheet for the GoT LCG from a couple years ago

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They certainly could print fewer than 3 IDs. They could print one ID and two blank cards, or one ID and two of another card (and you'd need to buy two packs to get a playset of that card) or three different IDs, or one ID and spare copies of two cards from Core, or one ID and two cards with ads on them... Most of these are no better than just printing 3 IDs, though.

And printing 58 cards is harder than 60, as people have said.

I may start putting two copies of IDs in sleeves back-to-back, that's smart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Cinn
Netherlands
Deventer
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, what happened to all those extra core set cards that only appear with 1 or 2 in game? If they only can print in 3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LCinn wrote:
So, what happened to all those extra core set cards that only appear with 1 or 2 in game? If they only can print in 3?

brisingre wrote:
or one ID and two of another card (and you'd need to buy two packs to get a playset of that card)
Question answered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
LCinn wrote:

They can print cards in sets other than threes. It's just that the total number of cards on the sheet must be 60. If one card in the pack is an identity, then that leaves only two spare slots. There are plenty of suggestions for what they could do with those slots, but none of them are completely satisfactory, so in the end they just print two extra copies of the identity for consistency -- they have exactly 20 new cards in each pack, and exactly 3 copies of each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Cinn
Netherlands
Deventer
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:
LCinn wrote:

brisingre wrote:
or one ID and two of another card (and you'd need to buy two packs to get a playset of that card)
Question answered.

Ah, that makes sense, but that does really kind of undermine the whole 'they HAVE to waste extra 2 cards on identities' thing. They really should have used the space to fill out the core set, that would have been nice.

Ah well, from the reactions here I take it this has been discussed over and over again. I guess I'll just take it like I take the terrible, terrible box inlays of Fantasy Flight: it's crap, but I'm willing to put up with it when the game is nice enough. It does make me feel just a little less good about sending money their way though :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LCinn wrote:
Ah well, from the reactions here I take it this has been discussed over and over again.
Right, I forgot: Drink!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
LCinn wrote:
Ah, that makes sense, but that does really kind of undermine the whole 'they HAVE to waste extra 2 cards on identities' thing. They really should have used the space to fill out the core set, that would have been nice.

I think the main problem with that approach is that the core set will be reprinted indefinitely, but the data packs will not. Eventually you get people buying new core sets and wanting to fill them out with the data packs, but those data packs are no longer available. Then they end up needing to buy multiple core sets or relying on the secondary market anyway.

Also, with a total of 7 identities in the cycle, that's only 14 spare slots, which isn't nearly enough to completely fill out the core set. So they make some people happy who happen to want the particular "fill" cards that they chose, and they make other people unhappy who wanted more copies of different cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Brooks
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mb
LCinn wrote:
Ah well, from the reactions here I take it this has been discussed over and over again. I guess I'll just take it like I take the terrible, terrible box inlays of Fantasy Flight: it's crap, but I'm willing to put up with it when the game is nice enough. It does make me feel just a little less good about sending money their way though :/

I actually took the two sides of the "canyon", bent each side about halfway down and flipped the "sides" inside out. When you are done, you have 3 sections each the length of the box and the width of a card lying down. I haven't taken a picture of it, but there is enough space for three copies of every card currently printed (sleeved) plus plenty of room for your tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:

I think the main problem with that approach is that the core set will be reprinted indefinitely, but the data packs will not. Eventually you get people buying new core sets and wanting to fill them out with the data packs, but those data packs are no longer available. Then they end up needing to buy multiple core sets or relying on the secondary market anyway.

The packs for the other lcg have never gone out of print, there have been times, sometimes extended, that they were hard to find, but they have always been reprinted eventually. No reason to expect netrunner to be any different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.