Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Monika Żabicka
Poland
Wodzisław Śl.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hello

I'm lucky to have the game and to have understood all the issues but one - TRACE. i have no idea how it works :shake: or, should I say, i thought i knew until i read the protocol ;)

could anybody please explain it to me IN DETAILS, step by step, using kind of a different language than in the rulebook? (what does "note" mean in the first point of the protocol anyway?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) The Corp’s initial trace strength value is listed as TraceX. (So if the trace was listed as Trace2 for example, the value is 2).
2) The Corp may openly spend as many credits as they want to increase their initial trace strength (by 1 for every credit spent) to get a total trace strength.
3) The Runner's initial trace strength (or link strength) is equal to the number of links they have. (Count the number of link symbols the Runner has. This includes any shown on their identity card plus any cards in their rig).
4)Then the Runner must spend enough credits (value increases by 1 for every credit spent) to match or exceed the Corp’s total trace value to make the trace unsuccessful. If he fails to match the Corp’s trace value, the Corporation wins the trace and it is successful.
4)Both players’ spent credits are returned to the supply.

I'm not sure what you mean about "note"... What page of the rulebook are you asking about specifically? (I don't see a note under the Traces section of the rules).

Wrong game! Sorry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monika Żabicka
Poland
Wodzisław Śl.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And I can't see any "rig" or "link symbols" you mention ;)

The Trace protocol is on page 28.
Maybe you're talking about Android: Netrunner? Different nomenclature (also Trace n - not Trace X), some different rules about tracing, as far as I know.

In my rulebook it reads:

"We [Corp] and the Runner secretly note how many bits we are spending to establish our trace and link value, respectively.

The Runner states which base link card in play, and which cards that aren't base link cards, he is using to establish link value.

We [Corp] and the Runner simultaneously reveal how many bits we are spending. We compare... [the rest I understand]"

And earlier in the rules it says the initial trace value is 0 and Corp can pay bits up to "n" (in "Trace n") bits for n trace value.

Somehow it differs, doesn't it? :) and I'm still confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. He's talking Android: Netrunner. Frikkin script kiddie. devil

In Netrunner, the number of bits used by each player to increase trace or link values is secret. The word "note" means "to write the value down". However, we just secretly hold some number of bit tokens (glass beads, mini poker chips, etc.) in a cloased fist. Once both players are ready, they reveal the bits they are spending.

One very important point, if the Runner does not have a Base Link resource in play, then they can NOT spend bits to increase their link!

I know this is not the detailed example you were hoping for. I'll if I can type something up later if noone helps out sooner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, thought I was in the Android: Netrunner forum! Don't mind me! I'll rectify this right away.

- If a card calls for a trace, it is indicated by the term "trace n", where n is the trace limit. The trace limit is the maximum number of bits the Corporation can spend on that trace.
- The Corporation player’s trace value starts are 0 for each trace attempt.
- The Corporation can increase the trace value, paying 1 bit for each point in increase.
- These bits are secretly chosen. The Corporation hides the amount of bits they are paying in their hand until both players simultaneously reveal how much they are paying.

What this means for the Runner:
- The Runner needs to select one card that he has installed that provides him with a base link value. Otherwise he is considered to have a base link value of 0.
- In order to increase the link, the Runner needs to use any installed cards he has to allow him to increase his link value. Usually cards that provide base link values also allow the Runner to increase the link, but other cards can do this as well. The Runner can use any number of other non-base link value cards to increase his link.
- Unlike the Corporation, there is no limit to how much the Runner can spend to increase his link value.

Trace Attempt Protocol:
1) Both players secretly note how many bits they are spending to establish their trace and link value.
2) The Runner states which base link card in play, and which cards that aren't base link cards, he is using to establish his link value.
3) Both players simultaneously reveal how many bits they are spending.
4) Compare the Corporation’s trace value to the Runner's link value. If the trace value equals or exceeds the Runner's link value, the trace is successful for the Corporation player.

Instead of writing down how many bits I'm going to spend I just hide the bits in my hand and reveal them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monika Żabicka
Poland
Wodzisław Śl.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like cut off the rules, but thanks ;)

still don't know: why does Runner point to his link cards as Step 2? it seems meaningless.
It should be rather as Step 1 (look Corp, I have this base link and this card to increase the link, these are my possiblities, so let's bid) or Step 3 (look Corp, as you already know how many bits i'm spending i can show you now how i'm spending them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Veridiana wrote:
It looks like cut off the rules, but thanks

still don't know: why does Runner point to his link cards as Step 2? it seems meaningless.
It should be rather as Step 1 (look Corp, I have this base link and this card to increase the link, these are my possiblities, so let's bid) or Step 3 (look Corp, as you already know how many bits i'm spending i can show you now how i'm spending them).

Because he might have two different base link cards in play and maybe he doesn't want to Corp to know which one he is going to use. Only one of base link cards can be used to establish the link value.

Basically, have both players do the calculations of what they need to spend in their head, select bits and put them in their hand, then simultaneously reveal. Have the Runner show the Corp how he is calculating his link value, and then compare it to the trace strength of the Corporation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monika Żabicka
Poland
Wodzisław Śl.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and that's the way I like it... :D thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.