Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

Police Precinct» Forums » General

Subject: Donuts and extra police cars... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
had our 1st play sat night, and had a blast!!! we lost when an urgent marker had to leave the board, the turn before (with all the evidence "in") i would have arrested the murderer...i was in a marked car 1 street away, 3 donuts on the front seat, and with a "support card" to use (and 4 cops just hanging around the station)...while the murderer was racing down the street with just 1 other punk! (i'll try to post more later)...but had a question:

- if i remember right you can not use your donuts to help other cops, just the symbols on your card...right?

- and...i went a little overboard, and have 9 more marked police cars (all matchbox size) than i can use...they're brand new and i have a pic avail if you want to shoot me an email...anyone wanting them (as a group) can email me (and include your zip code so i can figure s/h, etc.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
had our 1st play sat night, and had a blast!!! we lost when an urgent marker had to leave the board, the turn before (with all the evidence "in") i would have arrested the murderer...i was in a marked car 1 street away, 3 donuts on the front seat, and with a "support card" to use (and 4 cops just hanging around the station)...while the murderer was racing down the street with just 1 other punk! (i'll try to post more later)...but had a question:

- if i remember right you can not use your donuts to help other cops, just the symbols on your card...right?

- and...i went a little overboard, and have 9 more marked police cars (all matchbox size) than i can use...they're brand new and i have a pic avail if you want to shoot me an email...anyone wanting them (as a group) can email me (and include your zip code so i can figure s/h, etc.)


Hi John!

1. Very good description of your game, well written and fun to read. Your experience is what we were shooting for, and dare I say... What actually happens the vast majority of the time (meaning winning or losing by a tiny margin). That's very high on the list of why Tom Vasel liked the game so much. It's something we are very proud of. That tension!

2. That's a good question about the sharing! The answer is...
You can't share your donuts.
I just updated the Rules page to handle this...
http://www.commonman.com/rules
Thanks for bringing that up!

3. Great to hear that you are helping others get cool cars too!!!

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
glad it wasn't just something i missed...but, we decided not to allow donuts to be shared (hey, who gives away donuts???!!!), only the cards with the symbols that applied...

we had a great game! the only thing that required several "rule lookups" was when the urgent token was already on the board (let's say on 1 of 2 green emerg, with a single blue and red emerg also in play)(might have exact colors wrong, game's not in front of me)...and a 2nd blue or red flipped...we played that the urgent token immediately moved the 1st blue/red emerg, and because we hadn't taken care of the green emerg with the urgent token on it already, that we also had to move the crime marker...(from memory, and hope we did that right)...

it was a four player game, and we took our time (hey, we were having fun)...took about 90-100 min...next time we play we'll need to spend a little mor time selecting characters (spread out players best at arresting punks, having some better prepared to handle the emerg than others, and maybe even 1 who's best suited to investigate...all those extra little dice come in handy)...and also in selecting type of car you're in...

because, once the game started we did NOT have any spare time to be swapping out rides, or even upgrading (1 player switched cars once, nobody had time/donuts to upgrade)...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
(hey, who gives away donuts???!!!),


Good point!!!


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:


when the urgent token was already on the board (let's say on 1 of 2 green emerg, with a single blue and red emerg also in play)(might have exact colors wrong, game's not in front of me)...and a 2nd blue or red flipped...we played that the urgent token immediately moved the 1st blue/red emerg, and because we hadn't taken care of the green emerg with the urgent token on it already, that we also had to move the crime marker...(from memory, and hope we did that right)...
.


This sounds perfect. Just be sure to get rid of the failed emergency (green in this case), moving the crime track is the full penalty for this. Meaning the emergency goes away, BUT at a high price (crime track moves).

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a copy of the game on the way from Coolstuff, but I am also planning on ordering some cop cars. Can someone tell me how many I need to pimp out the game? ...3 ..10?

thx
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ole Steiness
Denmark
Herlev
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The game supports up to six players, and you will need a marked and an unmarked patrol car for each. So, twelve, in theory, half of them unmarked/civilian vehicles (unless you play with fewer players, of course).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a hard time discriminating between the police cars - they're all the same color and the names are in too small of a font for me. So I took sharpies and colored the two extra police cars that came with the game. The patrol car side has a stripe down the middle while the other side is solid color. Very cute, if I do say so myself!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
debwentworth wrote:
I have a hard time discriminating between the police cars - they're all the same color and the names are in too small of a font for me. So I took sharpies and colored the two extra police cars that came with the game. The patrol car side has a stripe down the middle while the other side is solid color. Very cute, if I do say so myself!


Way to go Deb!

You should show us an image.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
glookose wrote:
I have a copy of the game on the way from Coolstuff, but I am also planning on ordering some cop cars. Can someone tell me how many I need to pimp out the game? ...3 ..10?

thx


I bought these from http://www.policecarmodels.com/modelpower.html. $6.00 each and they are HO (1/87) scale - so they are the perfect size.

They also sell "Unmarked" Police Cars - http://www.policecarmodels.com/187blankcars.html


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Common Man Games wrote:
debwentworth wrote:
I have a hard time discriminating between the police cars - they're all the same color and the names are in too small of a font for me. So I took sharpies and colored the two extra police cars that came with the game. The patrol car side has a stripe down the middle while the other side is solid color. Very cute, if I do say so myself!


Way to go Deb!

You should show us an image.



Yes, Please do!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hmm - I was thinking I would get the cars to look alike, but now I think it might be easier to play if the cars were all different styles

unless you could put a sticker or write with a marker the name of the officer assigned to each car, for easy reference ...

would that work?

and I was thinking 1/64th scale, but you think 1/87 fits better?

My game is arriving today - I am eager to set it up and test it out
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
glookose wrote:
hmm - I was thinking I would get the cars to look alike, but now I think it might be easier to play if the cars were all different styles

unless you could put a sticker or write with a marker the name of the officer assigned to each car, for easy reference ...

would that work?

and I was thinking 1/64th scale, but you think 1/87 fits better?

My game is arriving today - I am eager to set it up and test it out


You could do like the do on real squad cars and put the number on the trunk/back bumper of the vehicle

1/87 will fit a little better on the board - and is truer to scale, but the 1/64 Hotwheels size work just fine.

That being said, if you're adding figures (officers, punks) you should go with 1/87 as the HO size figures look great based on the pictures some folks have posted.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
scoutmom wrote:

That being said, if you're adding figures (officers, punks) you should go with 1/87 as the HO size figures look great based on the pictures some folks have posted.


Agreed! HO scale has a LOT of figures and scenery (even Buildings and such) one could go NUTS with.

I wonder how long it will take someone to 3D the entire board?

- SK
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sargonkid wrote:
scoutmom wrote:

That being said, if you're adding figures (officers, punks) you should go with 1/87 as the HO size figures look great based on the pictures some folks have posted.


Agreed! HO scale has a LOT of figures and scenery (even Buildings and such) one could go NUTS with.

I wonder how long it will take someone to 3D the entire board?

- SK


Kind of like this?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my Sharpie-colored cars - one showing the unmarked car side, the other showing the patrol car.

I never claimed artistic talent - just a car that I can discriminate from the others!

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The green van in the pic above is the Mystery Machine?

lol!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
scoutmom wrote:
sargonkid wrote:
scoutmom wrote:

That being said, if you're adding figures (officers, punks) you should go with 1/87 as the HO size figures look great based on the pictures some folks have posted.


Agreed! HO scale has a LOT of figures and scenery (even Buildings and such) one could go NUTS with.

I wonder how long it will take someone to 3D the entire board?

- SK


Kind of like this?



Hmmmm ... I am going to need another dribble cup - my DROOL fills up my first one too fast!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B.
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got to quit clicking on these threads. Between the game and vehicles, I'm already $120 or so in...and have yet to take the first turn. lol.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BadHabitBand wrote:
I've got to quit clicking on these threads. Between the game and vehicles, I'm already $120 or so in...and have yet to take the first turn. lol.


Makes you wonder where you will be after your first turn? Or even - GASP! - your second turn!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BadHabitBand wrote:
I've got to quit clicking on these threads. Between the game and vehicles, I'm already $120 or so in...and have yet to take the first turn. lol.


That's Hilarious!!!

laugh
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly City has some cool pieces (and I happen to have thrifted at least one copy whistle)



Scale might be a bit off, but still...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cindy,

You are the queen of Thrifting!

I can't wait to see what you come up with next!!!

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.