Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Tempest + Ancestor Spirits rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Angus McKhager
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmb
”Ancestor Spirits” wrote:
When a monster suffers Wounds due to 1 of your class skills, exhaust this card. That monster is Poisoned. When a hero recovers Wounds or Fatigue due to 1 of your class skills, exhaust this card to allow that hero to recover 1 Wound and 1 Fatigue.

Tempest lets you damage monsters and recover your teammates wounds at the same time, so I was wondering, if in this case, you could poison the monster(s) AND recover wound(s) & fatigue - using Tempest + Ancestor Spirits combo.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.M. Proc
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct...

See clarification below...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When you use a class skill that results in multiple monsters to suffer damage or heroes to recover damage and/or fatigue at the same time ( like tempest, vigor, share pain, and so on ) and you then exhaust Ancestor Spirits, what is the result ? Are all the monsters poisoned or only one ? Same for Heroes, are all recovering additionnal damage and fatigue or only one ?

Answer :

Quote:
With Ancestor Spirits, any ability that damages multiple monsters will Poison each damaged monster, and any ability that allows damage or fatigue recovery for multiple heroes will recover 1 damage and 1 fatigue for each affected hero.

Justin Kemppainen
Creative Content Developer
Fantasy Flight Games
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus McKhager
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmb
Areinu wrote:
When you use a class skill that results in multiple monsters to suffer damage or heroes to recover damage and/or fatigue at the same time ( like tempest, vigor, share pain, and so on ) and you then exhaust Ancestor Spirits, what is the result ? Are all the monsters poisoned or only one ? Same for Heroes, are all recovering additionnal damage and fatigue or only one ?

Answer :

Quote:
With Ancestor Spirits, any ability that damages multiple monsters will Poison each damaged monster, and any ability that allows damage or fatigue recovery for multiple heroes will recover 1 damage and 1 fatigue for each affected hero.

Justin Kemppainen
Creative Content Developer
Fantasy Flight Games

Well, that is actualy why I started this thread in the first place. The quoted answer says Ancestor Spirits can affect multiple targets, but it doesn’t say if you can use both effects, or you have to choose one, to exhaust the card with.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that you have to choose which effect you use. The way I read it is that when one or both of those things are triggered you get to exhaust the card and use one of its effects. Basically you have to declare which of the triggering conditions you are exhausting it due to and then you get that effect.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it has 2 paragraphs describing two separate effects. Once you choose an effect it ends with card being exhausted, which makes you unable to choose another.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.M. Proc
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Khager wrote:

Well, that is actualy why I started this thread in the first place. The quoted answer says Ancestor Spirits can affect multiple targets, but it doesn’t say if you can use both effects, or you have to choose one, to exhaust the card with.


Ancestor Spirits by itself? Yeah you have to pick one of the options...

Buy your original question was about combining Tempest with Ancestor Spirits... And you can combine the effects of those two cards...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus McKhager
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmb
emproc1346 wrote:
Khager wrote:

Well, that is actualy why I started this thread in the first place. The quoted answer says Ancestor Spirits can affect multiple targets, but it doesn’t say if you can use both effects, or you have to choose one, to exhaust the card with.


Ancestor Spirits by itself? Yeah you have to pick one of the options...

Buy your original question was about combining Tempest with Ancestor Spirits... And you can combine the effects of those two cards...


Sometimes I have a problem to spell out my thoughts, but the original question was supposed to be: If you wound monsters, and heal teammates (with Tempest), can you exhaust Ancestor Spirits to poison the monsters AND heal W&F of your teammates?

I was hoping for a massive combo with Mok as Spiritspeaker, but I'm afraid the choose one version is correct.

Thanks for all the answers!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Khager wrote:
”Ancestor Spirits” wrote:
When a monster suffers Wounds due to 1 of your class skills, exhaust this card. That monster is Poisoned. When a hero recovers Wounds or Fatigue due to 1 of your class skills, exhaust this card to allow that hero to recover 1 Wound and 1 Fatigue.

Tempest lets you damage monsters and recover your teammates wounds at the same time, so I was wondering, if in this case, you could poison the monster(s) AND recover wound(s) & fatigue - using Tempest + Ancestor Spirits combo.


For reference, here are the cards...

Ancestor Spirits: http://www.descentinthedark.com/2nd/ancestor-spirits/

Tempest: http://www.descentinthedark.com/2nd/tempest/


To answer your question, the game devs say yes in this thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/11168887#11168887
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That doesn't answer the original question.

If multiple enemies are hit, Ancestor Spirits can be used to apply Poisoned to all of them. We got that.
If multiple allies are healed, Ancestor Spirits can be used to recover health and fatigue for all of them. We got that.

His question is specifically for Tempest, which does BOTH; it hurts monsters AND heals heroes. He wants to know if he get the effect of both parts of Ancestor Spirits.

For what it's worth, I would think not, just by how it's worded. Gameplay-wise, it might be what the Spiritspeaker would need to be as useful as the Disciple...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
That doesn't answer the original question.

If multiple enemies are hit, Ancestor Spirits can be used to apply Poisoned to all of them. We got that.
If multiple allies are healed, Ancestor Spirits can be used to recover health and fatigue for all of them. We got that.

His question is specifically for Tempest, which does BOTH; it hurts monsters AND heals heroes. He wants to know if he get the effect of both parts of Ancestor Spirits.

For what it's worth, I would think not, just by how it's worded. Gameplay-wise, it might be what the Spiritspeaker would need to be as useful as the Disciple...


Thanks! I missed that!

In that case, the answer would be no. You must exhaust Ancestor Spirits to use one of the effects. once exhausted, you can not then exhaust it again to activate the other effect.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc mad
Canada
flag msg tools
What about the Bard skill: Concentration (Shadow of Nerekhall):

"Exaust this card when a hero within 3 spaces of you recovers 1 or more hearth. That hero recovers 2 additional hearths."

Does it follow the same rules then Ancestor's Spirit ? Do all the heroes recover 2 hearths if they did recover hearths from the same skill?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.