Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » ACT (Canberra)

Subject: What did you play at Cancon? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: cancon [+] cancon2013 [+] [View All]
Callan Finn
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Why would you name yourself after a car security device?
badge
i herly berly on gerly werly!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I certainly got my monies worth from the games library at Cancon - thanks to Terry for teaching us games (and putting up for us for 3 days straight for over 12 hours on Saturday and Sunday) - and for everyone else who helped run the games library, it was a fantastic experience, and led to more then a half dozen purchases of games from myself and my fellow geeks friends.

So, what did you play at Cancon? Did you break out the games you bought yourself straight away and play them, or did you try some out from the library? Did any of those lead to direct purchases?

Here's what we managed to play, all of them from the games library. We specifically tried to avoid games we had already bought, or already owned, because we knew we'd get a chance to play those later.

Android: Netrunner (our group ended up buying 4 copies between us after we played a couple of games)
Army of Frogs
Batik (played this like 10 times, it was a great filler)
Bloodbowl - Team Manager
C02 (tried to play, couldn't get past the rule book - would like to try this one again but with someone teaching)
DC Deck Building Game (bought straight away after playing)
Dixit (will buy this in the future)
Goblins Inc (I bought this one for myself before we played it)
Libertalia
Notre Dame
Power Grid
Ra
Seasons
Smash Up
Suberbia (we bought this one straight after playing as well)
Terra Mystica (we will likely get this for our group when we can find a copy)
The Castle of Burgundy
Twilight Struggle
Tzolk'in (we bought this one straight away after playing)
Ubongo

So, what did you play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
Australia
Dickson
ACT
flag msg tools
??!
badge
And when you gaze long into Ducky Momo, Ducky Momo also gazes into you.
mb
Shingo hosted some gaming on the Friday night with a lot of out-of-town visitors and I'm including that because it's all a blur:

Coup
Tumblin' Dice
The Great Zimbabwe
Agents of SMERSH
Taj Mahal
Copycat
Terra Mystica
Batik
Quads
Quarto
Myrmes
The Hobbit: Card Game
Monster Factory
Khmer
R
Dungeon Fighter
Boom Boom Balloon
Primordial Soup
Dr. Shark
Tichu

Maybe missed some? Myrmes was the highlight for me -- echoes of Antiquity in half the time. I might have bought it if I'd been able to find a copy afterwards. I had hoped to try CO2, Sheepdogs of Pendleton Hill, Suburbia and Tweeeet, but it was not to be. Another time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam, unless you have kids there's nothing at Pendleton Hill for you. I played:

The Hobbit Card Game - 8 times, then I ran out of opponents
Coup
Agents of SMERSH
Doctor Who: the Card Game
Ginkgopolis
Monster Factory
Myrmes
Spin Monkeys
Taj Mahal
Tumblin Dice
Let's Catch the Lion

Obviously I liked the Hobbit, and I would play Coup again, but the new big games - Ginkgopolis and Myrmes - didn't do much for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
Australia
Dickson
ACT
flag msg tools
??!
badge
mb
Friendless wrote:
Sam, unless you have kids there's nothing at Pendleton Hill for you.

Really? qwertymartin's review suggesting that it has train-game incentive management DNA and all the comments about how it's a horribly mean game where you do more to screw with opponents than help yourself made me think it was a) right up my alley and b) not one to play with children unless you hate them. You weren't just all playing nice?

I still want to try it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pullen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Games Library was awesome, Hayley and I had a great time. Its was great to catch up with friends and make a whole heap of new one. Very glad we made the effort to attend, and will certainly return next year.

This is what we played:

Escape: The Curse of the Temple
Loot
Toc Toc Woodman
Category 5
Space Beans
Pizza Theory
Khet: The Laser Game
Chess
A Fistful of Penguins
Toc Toc Woodman
Triassic Terror
Moto Grand Prix
Sheepdogs of Pendleton Hill
Ticket to Ride
Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 2 - India & Switzerland
Loopin' Louie
Batik x8
Memoir '44: Breakthrough
Buster Balloon
Pickomino
Sitting Ducks Deluxe
Can't Stop
Love Letter
Abandon Ship
The Castles of Burgundy
Taj Mahal
Blue Moon City
Rory's Story Cubes
Hanabi
Tumblin-Dice
Spin Monkeys
Cavemen: The Quest for Fire
Coup
Those Pesky Garden Gnomes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
srand wrote:
train-game incentive management DNA and all the comments about how it's a horribly mean game where you do more to screw with opponents than help yourself

The train game bit sounds fanciful to me, but yes, there's a lot of screwing with opponents. As there is in Trouble. There's a lot of player chaos, so planning ahead is futile. The bits are designed for 5 year old hands. Definitely try before you buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shingo Ishikawa
Australia
Isaacs
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Games Library was great, and I don't think I hardly left that area.. I did more gaming than ever in my previous Cancon.. and not much shopping so finally balance is getting better.. It was great to play with so many new and old friends. I'll probably make some kind of geeklist for this so that I can talk in detail but here is what I played..

Puerto Rico
The Great Zimbabwe x2
Tumblin Dice x3
Coup x4
Lets Catch the Lion
Terra Mystica
Copycat
Scrabble Slam
Tzolkin x2
Hanabi
Boom Boom Balloon x2
The Hobbit Card Game x3
Taj Mahal
Monster Factory x2
Il Vecchio
Quads
Quarto x2
Batik x5
Myrmes
Dungeon Fighter
Ginkgopolis
Suburbia
Dr.Shark
Tichu
and
Go using Pente set
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shingo Ishikawa
Australia
Isaacs
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fronk wrote:

Loopin' Louie

So how many of that did you ended up playing? It was nice meeting you and Hayley!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shingo Ishikawa
Australia
Isaacs
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And I would say of the new games played

Myrmes was probably highlight.. although learning how to play Il Vecchio from the rule with Terry and Aaron was pretty fun and also enjoyed my game of Suburbia. I think Ginkgopolis would be very brutal and cutthroat two player game.. so I am really keen to try it with 2 or 3 and see how it is.. Too bad no one I know has a copy.. just to test my theory. Of old game.. I played.. I enjoyed playing Taj although I came dead last.. and Terra Mystica with playing mermaid was lots of fun. Two more games of TGZ with 5 and 3 each very different game and my appreciation grows.

I really wanted to try CO2, but other than that.. I think I played most of the games I wanted to try from new Essen release.. so pretty happy

Ah and ofcourse learning Go from Phil was enlightening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sacha Spinks
Australia
Lavington
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First time I've actually been able to just play what I want at Cancon, and not have to demo the same game all weekend.

Here's my list:

Domaine
Rattus
Citadels
San Juan
Agricola
Cosmic Encounter
Merchant of Venus
Sentinels of the Multiverse
Ra
Age of Steam
Flash Point
Die Macher
Coup

The highlight? Always Die Macher, closely followed by Age of Steam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pullen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shingoi wrote:
Fronk wrote:

Loopin' Louie

So how many of that did you ended up playing? It was nice meeting you and Hayley!

18 Total plays, Hayley even found others to play it her as well. So I would suggest her personal tally would have reached between 30-40.

Now I have to find a copy!!surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
Australia
Dickson
ACT
flag msg tools
??!
badge
mb
Fronk wrote:
Now I have to find a copy!!surprise

For a while you could easily get the Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue version cheaply all over the place. If you prefer Louie it is super easy to get the German edition on Amazon.de (where by happy coincidence it is currently half price, so probably about $40-45 shipped).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
I recall playing:

Earth Reborn
Palastgefluster
Alien Frontiers expansion prototype (well, I sort of played it... I moved the pieces around)
DC Deckbulding
Innovation + the expansion with the figures in
Netrunner x 3
Ugg-tect (awesome)
The Cave
Tzolkin x 2
Timeline x 2
Batik x 6
Smash Up
Hanabi
ACTION CASTLE! (shakes fist)
Go x 2
Monster Factory

And I probably played some other stuff too. The games library was great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs Smith
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
This is my chance to convey something meaningful! Darn. Wasted it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't around a whole lot (busy with wedding planning mainly) but managed to get in some gaming time, during which I played 7 new-to-me games:

1812: The Invasion of Canada
Dungeon Fighter
Boom Boom Balloon
Coup
Tsuro
Dr. Shark
Tichu

Of these, the only one I feel I really want to add to my collection is the one that's hard to get: Coup. I thought it was fantastic and I can see my workplace game group having a lot of fun with it.

Thanks to everyone who played with and taught me games! It was great to meet a bunch of new people (even if I'm not sure which avatars many of you belong to!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the opportunity to play with visitor board gamers and locals the following:

Copycat
7 Wonders + Leaders + cities
Agents of smersh
Tokaido
Triassic Terror
Batik
Puerto Rico
Famiglia
Tsuro
Guildhall
Eclipse

Maybe a few others that I can't recall.

My highlight has to be Triassic Terror, I usually don't go for area control games, but this was a nice surprise to me and I couldn't ask for a better group of players to try this. Guys (you know who you are) thanks for the game experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter McAndrew
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shingoi wrote:
I think Ginkgopolis would be very brutal and cutthroat two player game.. so I am really keen to try it with 2 or 3 and see how it is.. Too bad no one I know has a copy.. just to test my theory.

I think Games Capital has a store copy, so if you can make it along on a Monday night or Sunday you might be able to test your theory.

I didn't play many board games, given I was playing Blood Bowl all day and was librarian in the evenings, but I did get in:
Innovation
Pandemic
Pyramid Scheme
Ticket to Ride
Alhambra
Suburbia
Alien Frontiers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kieren Otton
msg tools
Whoever the people were who ran the Sentinels of the Multiverse demos on Sunday did a fantastic job. So many people were walking round with the base and 2 expansions after trying it

We learnt Libertalia and Tsuro. Both awesome.

I bought 1969 from the unhalfbricking guy who kindly reserved me a copy for most of the day. Haven't played it yet but it looks so cool

And the new favourite Spartacus got a few runs over beer at nighttime back at the Carotel. It was great

Cheers

Honest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
They explained everything in detail and at great length. After they finished I sat, despondent, contemplating a bleak and empty future. "I’m glad you’re depressed" said one. "It means you’ve understood the situation.”
mbmbmbmbmb
I played 12 games of De Bellis Antiquitatis in miniatures competition over two days and as the games finished early more often than not I also managed to play Tokaido which was a great little game with a really fun theme and several games of Go Away Monster!, once at the Bunyip Toys stall and then several times at home after purchase.

And a good time was had by all.

Say, did anyone try the WWI or WWII Wings of War games that were set up next to the radio controlled tanks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some Guy
Australia
flag msg tools
I spent about six hours playing a 15mm recreation of Gettysburg. Massive props to the guys running that game. It was the highlight of Cancon for me.

The other game I really took to was Triassic Terror. Being demoed by the guy who just created it, it was a lot of fun. The board and pieces also looked fantastic. I'm waiting for it to come out so I can pick it up.

Similarly, I also loved playing Dreadbowl. It's yet another one I'm waiting to pick up once I can get friends into it.

Other than that, I played Star Trek CCG, Twilight Struggle, and Dominion. I keep forgetting how awesome Dominion is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter McAndrew
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VonCloverfield wrote:
Similarly, I also loved playing Dreadbowl. It's yet another one I'm waiting to pick up once I can get friends into it.

Two forums that might be worth checking out regarding Dreadball:
http://forum.manticblog.com/forumdisplay.php?39-DreadBall-Th... - official site
http://www.ausbowl.com/viewforum.php?f=273 - primarily a Blood Bowl site, but there is a sub-forum for Dreadball and it is mainly Aussies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Powell
Australia
Wangaratta
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another fantastic con.
Although it's been said many times - the library was outstanding well done to the organisers and helpers especially Terry and Merrin.
I thought the placards were a great idea - should have them at other cons?

Games played:

Terra Mystica x2
PI
Ascension
Arkham Horror
Libertalia
Village
Survive
Battlestar Galactica
Myrmes
7 Wonders x2
Tzolk'in
Loot
Smash Up
Ra
Triassic Terror
Dominion Dark Ages
Dominion Seaside
Hanabi x2

The standout game for me was Terra Mystica (thanks Kerrin for showing my son another game he can annihilate me at!)

One other thing I should mention: I was camping with my son and his friend in the EPIC grounds and found our tent a soggy mess of broken poles after the storm on Saturday evening - thoughts of going home (4+ hr journey) early entered my head as I did not think I would get a hotel being Australia day weekend etc. I wondered into he games library and asked if anyone could suggest a nearby hotel and one of the organisers, Ian Byers said we could stay at his place in Canberra. I can't thank him enough for his hospitality.

By the way I will be in Canberra on Thursday night (7th Feb) so if anyone would like to hook up for a game let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I heard the story about the guys flooded in the camping ground. I didn't realise it was you surprise

Good that everything tune up right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Mc
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
ManualGamer.com
badge
Bloodshed and violence and savagery were the natural elements of the life Conan knew
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of fun to be had in the games library this cancon. A vast improvement compared to 2012 and a real highlight for me.

I played:
- Terra Mystica;
- Small world;
- Triassic Terror;
- Race for the Galaxy;
- Lords of Waterdeep;
- Hive x 3;
- 1812: The Invasion of Canada;
- R;
- Khumer;
- DC Comics Deck building game x2;

During my library shifts I taught:
- DC Comics Deck building game x2;
- Race for the Galaxy (looong teaching game, but think I saved a 14 yr old girl from being turned off boardgaming for life)
- Myrmes (man, that was hard work)
- Cavemen: the Quest for Fire

Highlight had to be playing Triassic Terror with the designer. Thanks to all those I played with. And big thumbs up to Terry and Merrin for organising the games library so well. meeplemeeplemeeplemeeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabrielle Dayhew
Australia
Moama
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played lots of new games but I loved Triassic Terror and it was amazing.
-wooden mini dinosaur playing pieces
-Great strategy game
-Every played for themselves

I enjoyed it so much I joined the line up so I could play again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.