BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Best games with quick set up time... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave

Gatineau
Quebec
msg tools

I've been finding myself less encouraged to play lately and was wonder if anyone has recommendations of games that require small amount of set up time. I really enjoy Agricola but find setting up the game to be a bit of a turn off. So I'd like recommendations of great games with little set up time 2 minutes or less (including taking the box off the shelf). All recommendations welcome! Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Gibbons
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
The Plano 3500 box to store the resources will surely cut your setup time in half for Agricola. Since I started using it, I can set up Agricola in ~5 minutes. It can be had for $3.50 on Amazon, and it fits perfectly in the box with everything else.

Otherwise, Race for the Galaxy has an extremely short setup time. Distribute starting worlds, shuffle the deck, and you're ready to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave

Gatineau
Quebec
msg tools
I do have my components in a bead tray. The nice thing about the bead tray is that the bottom is rounded to make it easier to remove the components. Does the Plano box have that as well?

still hoping to find something a bit quicker none the less. Thanks for your suggestion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Burdett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
I SHALL DESTROY ALL THE CIVILIZED PLANETS
mbmbmbmbmb
For 2 players, Hive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Gibbons
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Danger Dave wrote:
I do have my components in a bead tray. The nice thing about the bead tray is that the bottom is rounded to make it easier to remove the components. Does the Plano box have that as well?

If you have your components in a tray, I wouldn't bother with the Plano. It's essentially the same thing. And no, it has square bottoms, which makes it tricky to fish the square cubes out of the bottom. Worth it for me, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son and I have to have quicker games on school nights, so I totally get this need! For different reasons, sure, but yeah, you sometimes need some good, quicker set-ups.

The Battle for Hill 218---2p game; sets up in a minute, plays in 5-15 minutes, and is quite the addictive little strategy game; it's a gem

Lord of the Rings: The Duel---2p game; sets up quick and plays in 25-35 minutes

Pocket Battles: Celts vs. Romans---2p light conflict game

EDITED for clarity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Battle for Hill 218 +1
Taktika
Chicago Express

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two games that I really enjoy that can be set up in two minutes or less are

1) Thurn and Taxis

and

2) Saint Petersburg.

Kingdom Builder is pretty good, too, but lighter than the other two.

And I will also say Hive is great with two and the set up time is maybe 15 seconds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 Chicago Express - an amazing deep game with no fiddliness, rules nor components wise

Glen More - A euro with a cool turn track. Tableau builder

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second both Race for the Galaxy , Saint Petersburg , and Hive. Go is also quick to set up laugh. Some basic card games that require practically no setup: Haggis for 3 and Tichu for 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave

Gatineau
Quebec
msg tools
Ideally is like to stay away from card games. I prefer the the main activities happen on a board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jawn Bee
msg tools
Formula D requires:

1/ unfold board
2/ give a plastic tray, cardboard overlay, 6 pins, 1 gear stick and a car to each player
3/ each player puts card into tray, and pins and gear stick into card
4/ roll for starting order. or argue about it and punch people, whichever is quicker

that is all.

cheers,
John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soares
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Revolver is a game that can take 30 seconds to set up and about 30-40 minutes to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.