BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Need more genres, 2-6 players, low set-up time rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Goh
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Hi everyone! I would like to request for some suggestions as to new games to add to my collection.

Here are a few features that I am looking for in my future purchases:
- 2-6 players: I play with a group that varies, usually from 3-6 players but sometimes there are only 2 of us
- low set up time: so that I can set up and keep the game quickly
- playtime preferably within an hour
- preferably a different game mechanic from what are listed here

Okay, so here's a list of my current collection:
- Dominion
- Dominion: Intrigue
- Dominion: Hinterlands
- Dominion: Dark Ages
- Resident Evil: Alliance
- Resident Evil: Nightmare
- Quarriors (2nd edition)
- Smash Up
- Elder Sign
- Small World Underground
- Red Dragon Inn 2
- Munchkin
- Munchkin 4: The Need for Steed
- Munchkin 7: Cheat with Both Hands
- Munchkin Booty

I have pledged for the following:
- Ruse
- Boss Monster
- Guilds of Cadwallon
- BattleCON: Devastation of Indines (Perfect Collection)

I would prefer if you could suggest games with different core gameplay mechanics from the ones listed above, to keep my collection fresh.

Games I am currently thinking of include:
- 7 Wonders
- Mice and Mystics
- Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt
- Zombicide
- 12 Realms
- Ascension: Storm of Souls

If you can add any recommendations to these games, or comment on these games, that would be great! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders

Carcassonne (need the first expansion for 6 players)

Race for the Galaxy (Base game is 2-4 players, first expansion allows up to 5)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Clinch
Scotland
Dundee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Elfenland, though it's better with more so best left in the cupboard if you're down to 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 7 Wonders

Citadels
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for 7 Wonders and Citadels

Looking at your collection, I'd also suggest that you check out Gauntlet of Fools. 2-6 players, quick setup and short games, designed by Donald X. of Dominion fame, and and is a lighthearted game about storming through a dungeon, killing a bunch of monsters, and taking their treasure. So thematically, it's somewhat similar to Munchkin, although it plays completely differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PAX supports 2-4 with 1 copy ofthe game and 2-8 with 2 copies of the game. Really slick game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo fits the bill!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter will play five in the base game and up to eight with the expansions and is ate easy to set up and tear down.

7 Wonders plays nice with a large group.

The Resistance: Avalon or Ultimate Werewolf: Ultimate Edition might also be worth a look.

Edit: this is what happens when posting too early in the morning before coffee sets in. I missed the "also good with two players" qualification. Ill keep my above recommendations but note they are not for two players and are best at around five.

A correct recommendation from me would be Cyclades. I play it two and its pretty good but it is fantastic above that and supports up to five. It is easy to teach and learn and relatively easy to set up and tear down (3-5 minutes at most).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo is not good with 2 players, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it at least a little odd that 3-6 people get together for a game night but need to set up, play, and put away a game in an hour. That rules out many of the best board games out there. Can you not find time for, say, a 2-hour cap instead of 1?

Here are a few worth looking at:
Citadels (a lighter civ game, almost faux-civ, but cutthroat and worth a look)

Three-Dragon Ante (it's like, IDK, strategic gambling lol)

Red November (great co-op, esp. for a group, but if you only have 2 players, you'd probably want to each control 2 pawns).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Leidich
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Citadels and Resistance. If your group really likes fast paced card games these offer really good player interaction, fast set up and quick play.

Kingsburg seems to fit the themes of what you already have in your collection and plays with 2-5 players @ about 90 minutes. I picked this up for my brother-in-law as a Christmas gift and really enjoyed it.

Getting away from the themes and genres you already have listed check out Suburbia. It is a little fiddly but fun.

+1 7 Wonders too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Power Grid. Throw in the Robots and you've got a game that plays well 2-6

Chicago Express is even better but sucks with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Schwartz
United States
Sturgis
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 7 Wonders. Played this for the first time this past weekend and had loads of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne or Alhambra.

Cosmic Encounter is excellent, but doesn't play less than 4 very well at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're up for a minimal equipment, restaurant-friendly moving target deduction game with a strong memory element for 2 to 6 players, you might try Short Changed. Alternatively, if you have several pounds of dice and like simple trick taking games, a 6th player could probably be added to Tricky without much fuss, although I have never test played it with that number. Neither of these games takes more than a couple of minutes to set-up or put away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on your listed games, I humbly submit the following list of games that fit most of your criteria.

Games that play 2-5:

Sultan, The Speicherstadt, Urbania, Alea Iacta Est, Middle Kingdom

Games that play 3-6:

Medici

Games that play 2-6:

Mord im Arosa, Tsuro

Good luck with your search!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some games featuring different mechanics/styles that have worked well for our group in recent times...

Ticket to Ride - Set collection, route building. Plays from 2-5. IMO best between 3-4

Carcassonne - Tile laying. Plays from 2-5. IMO best as a cutthroat 2-player game

Alhambra - Set collection/Tile laying. Plays from 2-6. 2-player requires a dummy 3rd player, don't really love it that way. IMO best at 3-4.

Lords of Waterdeep - Worker Placement. Plays from 2-5. IMO best at 4-5, 2 player is a different dynamic, it's more of a points race than a tense WP game. Really fun, but might stretch your time limit.

Dixit - Voting/storytelling. Plays from 3-6. Theoretically goes up to an infinite number of players, though it gets awkward past about 8 IMO. Sweet spot for me is 5-6 players. Not playable at 2-players.

Hopefully those suggestions are interesting to you Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
Drakon: Plays 2-6, quick set-up, tile-laying, cut-throat.

Go Goblin, Go!: Plays 2-6, quick set-up, clever filler.

Ra: Plays 2-5, quick set-up, auctioning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Barbie
msg tools
mbmb
Hey, Eric. I have the same goal as you; lots of variety for game night. I think you could use some abstract, chess type, story telling, co-op and card games. We seem to like a lot of the same things, so feel free to poke through my collection list for specifics.

http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/Ellyria

-Emma

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jawn Bee
msg tools
Hi,

I recommend Formula D because it is tonnes of fun with extremely low set-up time, is very easy to teach to new players, supports up to 10 players, and is quite a bit different from the titles in your collection. Depending on how many players you have, it may take anywhere from 30 mins to 90 mins to play, too.

cheers
John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.