Goody
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All

I'm sure this has been covered before but I'm struggling to find any links.

I will be playing BSG with Pegasus next weekend with 7 people for the first time. As I am the most familiar with the rules I have already said I'm happy to play as the CL but looking back at that decision now I'm not sure it was the right one as no one in our group has ever used one yet.

Any advice or tips on being a successful cylon leader would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Loke
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
BUT MY DREAMS THEY AREN'T AS EMPTY
mbmbmbmbmb
There's really not a lot to it. Always act or pretend to act on the side of humans at first since you will either genuinely be on their side or want to gain their trust until the time is right to murder them.

Other than that it's just reactionary to the events of the game. Just play it out and you'll be fine.

Actually, what i recommend is finding an alternate set of agendas because frankly, the ones that come with the game suck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just be aware that none of the other players (neither humans nor cylons) care about you.
It is not their job to help you with your agenda and they will probably not listen to your requests.
All you can do is try to manipulate the situation for your agenda without getting in the way.

It is a lonely position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goody
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's why I'm regretting volunteering a little. I love the discussion and banter that comes from the early game. I'm a very vocal player in BSG and like to steer the group one way or the other depending on my loyalty. My favourite example of this was convincing the group to try and execute a known Cylon before he revealed so they would throw a lot of cards in and then spiked the check as I was the other Cylon leaving the Humans with very few cards for the next round.

However I want everyone to enjoy the game and with new players and other people who I don't think would like the CL role it was left to me to pick up that role. In a way I hope someone flakes out so we only have 6 players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO you should explain to the players that it matters a lot for them to find out the CL Agenda. Because depending on the team the CL is in, they will then be able to prevent or help him to fulfill his secondary goal.

Concerning the play of the CL, he should be a very vocal player. He should always give advice, make suggestions and offer deals. And he should constantly emphasize that he has a valuable OPG, which can greatly help the team he is on if his team gets him into the position to use it effectively.

Long story short: the CL should always try to get the players support to fulfill his secondary goal. And he should make clear that he will not hesitate to play against his teammates if they do not help him to win with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strategy-wise...

you don't have many turns as a CL (or a cylon for that matter). Depending on whether or not Cain's in play and if she uses Blind Jump to get a high destination, if she's in you'll have on average 5 to 6 turns the entire game in a 7p game! That's not a whole lot, so while you shouldn't take forever on your turn, you also shouldn't take them in haste, as every right and wrong decision counts. Even when you infiltrate, you shouldn't count on others XO-ing you.

However, if the situation's "right", they'll XO you. For example, if you've shown to be not hostile (or completely hostile), if not helpful, a human may XO you rather than taking the chance the targeted human is a cylon and do worse damage otherwise.

It takes a bit of finnese to know when you'll need to go after the resources you need to. Go too early and or too hard for those that want 1 or more resources to be low but still require you to win, then humans may lose due to resources. Go too late and soft, and you may not get it low enough before the game ends. That said, only thing you can do with Fuel is use LS when infiltrating, or Human Fleet to leave fuel expensive destinations on top. Food is often the way to go whenever you get the chance, as it doesn't come up often at all, save for those "freak shuffles". If you need more hits in Morale, crisis deck is usually the better way to go, althouogh make sure you have skill cards yourself to better hurt with that (or help in rare cases). For Pop, cylon ships vs. civvies is often the way to go, although you can try your luck in swarming them it ships to see if they'll lose pop through FTL Control. If you have Calculations, it may be worth infiltrating so you can use it. In general, if you have Human Weakness (of course, human needs to be in the brig) and need to reduce ANY resource, then use it. A free resource is nothing to sneer at. Otherwise, it indirectly puts pressure that the humans have less overall resources to work with, but make sure you still have the "long term" for this sort of approach. Won't help if the game's ending soon.

Use Sabotage as a means for keeping them on edge with discarding brown!

Definitely use your OPG! More than being a human player really!
Keep in mind your weakness! Leoben seems to have the worst, but Cavil's can be pretty bad. Cavil is offset by the fact that it only happens up to twice per game. I got Brigged, but could've gotten out with Pol. Prowess (from Exodus), but the person before my turn revealed and I lost it!devil

If you want to help humans, then consider using Caprica! Yep... now that jump icons count, it's much different now. In some ways, it's like Roslin's special (pick 2 crisis cards), but even better since Caprica still ignores cylon ship icons!

If you want to manipulate the crisis deck without risking giving them jump icons, then try your hand at Human Fleet. Scouting away a jump icon is about as good as it gets. For a more long term plan, scout the appropriate Destination cards away. Then use the Skill cards to desparately boost your measley 2-card draw, and the nice thing too is get to draw outside your skillset, which is often a good precursor to infiltrating (it lets you use those card texts).

For good and evil, remember that you're still immune to crisis card effects (except that one specifically from NC crisis deck that executes a cylon.. Resistance Bombings 12GPB). One game, Guilty Conscience was truly one of the better cards for the humans (only I discard cards, and it did have a jump icon)

TRY TO PREPARE FOR "JERK MOVES" WHERE THE HUMANS ALREADY WON, BUT SOME JERK DECIDES TO PLAY sp B/C HE WANTS TO SAVE MORE POPULATION AND BE THEMATIC, EVEN THOUGH AT THAT POINT IN THE GAME, YOU'RE TELLING HIM (indirectly or otherwise) THAT YOU U CAN'T SAVE POPULATION FOR YOUR AGENDA angry

BACKDROP
FWIW, more of my groups would rather have a 4p or 6p game with a CL than the other alternatives (especially the symp-cylon, but they're not wild about the No-Symp either).

Another thing about CL is pschologically, it is refreshing to play in the sense that you're a 1-man team in a manner of speaking. If you mess up, you're not letting down your teammates b/c you kinda don't have any.

Gameplay-wise, some people may enjoy a CL more since one thing they hated about being a human is that aspect of switching sides midgame and realizing you now need to undo all the good things you did, or can't do anything very assertively until you know for sure which team you're on.

I like CL for the above reasons, but it's also the only character that can freely use human and cylon locations back and forth. Whereas regular cylons will go to the cylon zone one way or another, a CL can always come back down to the human zone, making brigging and executing one less of an automatic/sure thing to do.
CL also has special abilities that can do some really unique things never seen before, and the weaknesses can really throw things in for a loop. It's fun for both humans and cylons to exploit some of those weaknesses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CD Harris
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inquisitorgoody wrote:
That's why I'm regretting volunteering a little. I love the discussion and banter that comes from the early game. I'm a very vocal player in BSG and like to steer the group one way or the other depending on my loyalty. My favourite example of this was convincing the group to try and execute a known Cylon before he revealed so they would throw a lot of cards in and then spiked the check as I was the other Cylon leaving the Humans with very few cards for the next round.

However I want everyone to enjoy the game and with new players and other people who I don't think would like the CL role it was left to me to pick up that role. In a way I hope someone flakes out so we only have 6 players

Every one of the last dozen or so games I've played I've chosen to be a CL. I love it. It's more challenging (most of the time) because you have to walk a fine line. I never lost a single game as either a human or a Cylon before I started playing as a CL, but it took a few games as a CL before I got back in the win column. I like the challenge.

One thing being a CL never lacks is interaction with the other players. Done right, you can be slipping back and forth across the line the whole game and the humans will still be listening to your advice. The fact that all the agendae require that the humans obtain at least some level of success means you get plenty of opportunities to build trust. You just have to be careful abut when you risk blowing that trust to advance your own agenda. For instance, a couple of games ago I got unlucky with the Destiny draw on one such attempt and my trust building was undermined. So the next chance I got, I spiked again to deflect suspicion to another player. It worked and he wasn't quite trusted for the rest of the game (he was human so he knew it wasn't him but that won't get you too far in isolation). The fact that I got a lot of chances to overtly help them a lot (I needed them to jump 6 before losing and the Admiral was being insanely cautious because I did manage to hammer a couple of resources early), I was still considered a probable ally until I openly turned on them to close out the game. Pulling things like that off makes for a very satisfying gaming experience.

It can't hurt with less experienced players to remind them a couple of times that the CL agenda decks are specifically designed to give you a win condition that requires them to succeed to a certain level. Reminding them specifically that you may very well want them to win but need for a couple of resources to be low to win as well gives you some cover for spiking the occasional skill check. The trick is to keep them believing you're (mostly) on their side even if you aren't. Just keep your wits about you, continue to offer suggestions, and be openly helpful whenever you can safely do so and you'll do fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goody
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all the replies. I'm feeling a lot happier about taking on the role of the CL, now I just need to decide which one I like the look of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inquisitorgoody wrote:
Thank you for all the replies. I'm feeling a lot happier about taking on the role of the CL, now I just need to decide which one I like the look of.

Much like with loyalty cards, It'd be nice if you can pick a character AFTER you've seen your loyalty card. Here, it'd be nice to see your Agenda first, but of course that's not how it works. Cavil is geared more towards cylon ship manipulation, but his OPG while not terribly exotic, is nice. He's the only one without an ongoing Movement Ability (his OPG, just use it once and you can forget about it). Cap6 is more oriented towards skill card manipulation. Leoben's even better at that than Cap6, but he's got a crippling weakness that can really put the hurt on him at times (and both humans and cylons have especially exploited that weakness of his). The latter 2 have ongoing movement abilities which does limit their mobility and flexibility at times, but being actions are even more precious for a CL, if you can get to a position where you won't need to move sometimes, that's basically a "free thing" to help you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.