Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Encrypted Toast
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
MRP:

Quote:
Noon Job: Boot one of your Dudes to start a job that targets another player's Dude. The target must have a lower Bullet rating than your Dude. If the job succeeds, the target Dude is discarded (if still in play), and all Dudes in your posse become Wanted.

This should be simple so leave it me to complicate things I have a few questions on this rather fun sounding job:

1 - When a kidnapping is initiated can the target just boot to run home to avoid it?

2- Failing running away, can the target just say "Ok you win, kidnap me" and go to the discard pile, thereby avoiding the possilbilty of getting killed in a shootout?

3- If a posse decides to defend the target, can the target stay out of the shootout or are they forced to be part of it?

And last but not least, I guess this applies to all jobs that require booting - if the action is cancelled (say with Black Circle) does the dealer remain booted or does he never boot since the action was canceled?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
EncryptedToast wrote:
1 - When a kidnapping is initiated can the target just boot to run home to avoid it?

No. Can you boot to run home to avoid Rumors? Kidnapping is a Noon action that targets the dude. You can't dodge it just like you can't dodge Bad Tequila.

Quote:
2- Failing running away, can the target just say "Ok you win, kidnap me" and go to the discard pile, thereby avoiding the possilbilty of getting killed in a shootout?

Yes. There is no need to contest the job by forming your own posse and having a shootout. You can just let the action succeed and let the dude leave play. Savvy players often do this against serious shooters because they know that a gun fight means everyone dies.

Quote:
3- If a posse decides to defend the target, can the target stay out of the shootout or are they forced to be part of it?

Yes. The target does not have to join the posse.

Quote:
And last but not least, I guess this applies to all jobs that require booting - if the action is cancelled (say with Black Circle) does the dealer remain booted or does he never boot since the action was canceled?

Most jobs require you to boot someone to start the noon action. If it is cancelled at that point, before posses on offense or defense are formed, then that dude is booted, not others.

I play Kidnapping and boot Sin Je. You play Sheriffs Watchin'. Kidnapping card goes to discard, Sin Je remains booted, nothing happens. OR I play Kidnapping and boot Sin Je. You declare you will not play Sheriffs Watchin'. I go on to boot a few more dudes to join the posse and continue the job resolution - you cannot now play Sheriffs Watchin' as we have moved to resolution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Encrypted Toast
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
cosine wrote:
EncryptedToast wrote:

No. Can you boot to run home to avoid Rumors? Kidnapping is a Noon action that targets the dude. You can't dodge it just like you can't dodge Bad Tequila.

Good point!

cosine wrote:
EncryptedToast wrote:

Yes. There is no need to contest the job by forming your own posse and having a shootout. You can just let the action succeed and let the dude leave play. Savvy players often do this against serious shooters because they know that a gun fight means everyone dies.

Good deal, so we have been doing this correctly. Was kind of hoping it was wrong since sometimes you just want somebody dead

cosine wrote:
[q="EncryptedToast"]
Quote:

Ok this might need a little more clarification - are you saying that if a shootout starts, the target has the option to boot and go home (per normal shootout rules) or are you saying the target can stay there and not take part in the ensuing shootout?

IF it's the latter than I have been doing shootouts wrong all along!

cosine wrote:
[q="EncryptedToast"]
Quote:

Most jobs require you to boot someone to start the noon action. If it is cancelled at that point, before posses on offense or defense are formed, then that dude is booted, not others.

I play Kidnapping and boot Sin Je. You play Sheriffs Watchin'. Kidnapping card goes to discard, Sin Je remains booted, nothing happens. OR I play Kidnapping and boot Sin Je. You declare you will not play Sheriffs Watchin'. I go on to boot a few more dudes to join the posse and continue the job resolution - you cannot now play Sheriffs Watchin' as we have moved to resolution.

That clears it up perfectly, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EncryptedToast wrote:

Good deal, so we have been doing this correctly. Was kind of hoping it was wrong since sometimes you just want somebody dead

The right card for that Job is Ambush. If you don't have 300 of them, let me know; I'll give you a dozen.

EncryptedToast wrote:
cosine wrote:
[q="EncryptedToast"]
Quote:

Ok this might need a little more clarification - are you saying that if a shootout starts, the target has the option to boot and go home (per normal shootout rules) or are you saying the target can stay there and not take part in the ensuing shootout?

IF it's the latter than I have been doing shootouts wrong all along!

All of Cosine's answers are (predictably) correct.

But as to the further clarification requested, the target, in this case, just stands there, quaking in fear, as big, hairy men try to kidnap him. His friends come to his rescue but, if those friends lose the ensuing shootout, the target is kidnapped and discarded. This just follows normal rules for all Jobs.

In fact, all of your original questions appear to pertain to all Jobs. Kidnapping is no exception. Consider pulling an Arson Job on the Green-Eyed Saloon. If the controller (or owner) doesn't defend, the saloon'll be torched. If a posse attempts to defend against the Job, the saloon, while the target of the Job, isn't in the defending posse. If the defending posse loses the shootout, the saloon will be lit up. But, if no-one in the dealer's posse remains at the saloon by the time the defending posse is done defending, the saloon is safe. And it never boots to run home. (And all the aggressors do boot and run home after pulling off a Job.)

Don't let details get muddled just because the target of Kidnapping is a Dude. The Dude is under no special requirement to defend himself, nor is anyone else. But if others do, the target can still stay off to the side and not participate.

This is not the same as a call-out action. A Job is not a call-out action. During a call-out action, the target may boot to run home (if possible) and no shootout occurs. If the target is already booted or chooses to fight, the target must be among the defending posse.

You probably have been doing call-outs correctly all along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Encrypted Toast
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
FlatOnHisFace wrote:

The right card for that Job is Ambush. If you don't have 300 of them, let me know; I'll give you a dozen.

Thanks for the offer! While I doubt I have 300 it is one of those cards that I seem to always be tripping over so there must be quite a few in that box!

FlatOnHisFace wrote:

All of Cosine's answers are (predictably) correct.

You probably have been doing call-outs correctly all along.

Good to know. Yea you are right I was probably looking at Kidnapping differently for some reason - probably the wording that made me think it's different in some way when in fact it really isn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.