Nate Owens
Philippines
Cainta
Rizal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I understand the following:
- A spaceport, regardless of whether it is neutral or merchant, allows unlimited buy and sell actions.
- Upon making first contact, a player is allowed three buy actions and three sell actions.

So here's my question. Does that buy/sell action TAKE THE PLACE of the normal transaction phase? In other words, if someone makes first contact with a culture on a spaceport, do they get the three buys and sells, and then an additional unlimited buy phase?

I'm inclined to make it replace it, otherwise I think there might be too much of an initial rush to make first contact with the spaceports.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus G
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the rules, it looks like the 3 buys and 3 sells are in addition to the ones you get in the Transaction phase. It's not totally clear, but at the end of the First Contact phase rules it says

Quote:
The culture is now open for trade with any player who lands it its system, including the player who just discovered it.

I'm not sure this is going to be a huge difference over replacing it. Having 3 buys and 3 sells is already a lot considering this culture hasn't been discovered (I'm thinking this would be relatively early in the game). Also most cultures will be discovered by landing at a city, so you'd only end up with an additional 1 buy and 1 sell anyway, for a total of 4 each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InGA
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please see this thread for an indirect answer to your question:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/904760/first-errors-for-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Jones
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The initial rush as it were is important, though, so it's a good carrot to encourage players to explore and reveal, particularly some of the hard to navigate to regions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.