Subject: Looking for match, real time via Vassal rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Finkenbinder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all! I have owned this game for years but am just now playing "for real." I am interested in playing a game vs. an opponent real time with the Vassal module. Some notes:

1) I am eastern standard time (Maryland).

2) I would prefer to use the original, un-altered 1983 rule set as originally designed. I have not read or practiced with any of the alterations, nor have I played with any of the variant counters included in the Vassal module.

3) I would be playing with the Far West option, but no other optional rules included in the original set (I prefer historical accuracy where possible). As the Vassal module does not include a set-up for the Far West scenarios, I have created my own set-up file to include the 1861 Far West set up. I place all Far West reinforcements at the bottom of the resource allocation/SP/CP table included in the module.

4) I will play whatever side my opponent does not opt to play

If interested, please respond to this thread and hopefully I will see someone online soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fred,

I'd suggest posting on the CSW thread also, because that's where some of the dedicated Vassal players regularly post (some of them show up on BGG as well).

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.ee6ce3e

1. Most of those regular denizens of the CSW forum are in the eastern USA, from Lousianna in the west to places further east.

2. I'd suggest using most of the unofficial WGA 3rd edition for reasons of clarity. Much of the work that was involved related to clarifying rules that were previously unclear. Years of pbem play had exposed some of those less clear areas of the rules, and pbem players wanted a common standard interpretation. Players don't need to use the options, although a few of those are very popular, particularly "non-army leader reaction." Players can cut out chunks of what was added to the base rules, including the "red tape" rules. I wrote a review of the changes, which you can read here on BGG:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/646409/guide-to-the-wga-unof...

3. If I remember correctly, I think that Rick Coyne likes to use the Far West Option. He just finished (and won) a game against Dave Turansky. So Rick might be available to play you. Contact him on CSW.

4. For less experienced players, it is recommended that they play the Confederates first. Figuring out how to win with the Union is more difficult. With the CSA, one just has to react and try to frustrate the Union player, preventing or delaying the USA plans.

[I'm purely a cardboard player, so I'm just passing these tidbits along.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Finkenbinder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh OK, so you can disregard my invite to you made in a separate thread. Thanks for the info!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Finkenbinder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE:

I have printed and am reviewing the rules revisions in the WGA 3rd edition ruleset that has been compiled by long-time players. While I still want to stick to standard rules (under this ruleset) without optional rules, I am still looking for a match. I am playing my brother right now and have a good feel for the game, and I welcome an experienced competitor.

I will also play without the Far West option if my opponent prefers.

Hoping to hear from someone soon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.