Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

I previously owned Innovation, but I sold it because I thought the rules were awful (having to print a page of errata on how to use the cards before I started was not good), plus everyone I played it with said it was too swingy.

I have Glory to Rome Black Box, but I haven't played it yet, as it seems to be generally recommended to find someone else to teach you how to play it, as its one of those 'learn by playing' games.

I have San Juan which I love. I will get to RfTG if I can just get past the evil iconography.

I saw that Uchronia is supposed to be a cut down version of Glory to Rome, on the recent Dice Tower 2012 Top 10 with Zee and Sam.

Questions:
1) Is it worth picking up Uchronia as a helpful entry point to GtR?
2) Is Glory to Rome less swingy than Innovation?

Thx,
CC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of San Juan as having rails and a net, Glory to Rome as having no rails but a net, and Innovation as not even having a net.

Also:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GtR is not that difficult once you get it. I recommend reading Ender's Review of GtR. He uses the old cartoony version but I learned how to play from his review and it's actually what made me a fan of him. As you know, the only differences between cartoony and black box is the presentation, gameplay is otherwise identical (I've played both)

GtR can be swingy, but the Black Box introduces rulesets to prevent it. There is definitely more of a focus on long term strategy in GtR than Innovation. Having said that, Innovation is one of my favorites and I'd play it over GtR any day
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooooo, that tutorial video was really excellent makes me want to play it now

Which extra rules in GtR black box limit the swinginess?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a swingset would still be less swingy than Innovation.

GtR isn't nearly so swingy. There are wacky combos, but they are mostly self-improving, rather than destructive.

I still love both Innovation and GtR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.