Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a reason that the masts are separate from the ships?

Is this so you can insert a mast to demonstrate that there's a unit aboard? A 2nd mast for a second unit? This seems logical to me since the unit-aboard-ship limit is 2.

Or is this simply a case of the part coming unassembled out of the box and I can go ahead and glue them together. I'd hate to glue them and find out later that there was an intended purpose for the removability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no purpose in the game. Be careful on what glue you use, as some will melt the plastic. I used simple craft white glue (similar to Elmer's) without any problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about gluing them, but I decided against it. When I build a ship in game, I build it IRL assembling the sails. They don't get moved THAT much during the game, and I just scoot them along.

The sails are easy enough to put in and this way I don't run the risk of damaging the pieces as Jeff says. Also if you glue it and don't store it properly, you may end up having bent sails.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't glued them yet but have considered doing so. I dislike the sails always falling out between games. Its a shame as I love the overall look of the ship when the sails are in, particularly the little dragon head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan

Dallas, Tx
msg tools
mbmb
I haven't glued mine yet. But once I've painted the ships, I'll glue the sails. I figure its easier to paint unglued.

You'll notice that most of the city pieces are also seperate pieces put together. However those don't have a problem staying together without glue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've decided against gluing mine too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You'll notice that most of the city pieces are also seperate pieces put together. However those don't have a problem staying together without glue.

You must have different pieces than I do. My city parts are definitely cast as a single piece of plastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Cantor
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I do not bother with the sails as that interferes with playing the game. I just say that I have slaves manning the oars. If somebody complains that they cannot see the oars I either tell them to get some glasses or to get a better pair of glasses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan

Dallas, Tx
msg tools
mbmb
zpeteman wrote:
Quote:

You must have different pieces than I do. My city parts are definitely cast as a single piece of plastic.

Nah we have the same set as theres only one set made. The actual Academy, Fortress, and Temple can be removed from its base by pulling upward. The biggest building in the central city piece can also be removed by pulling upward. All can be put back and stay snugly fit.

I only noticed it because I spent a long time examining the pieces to figure out how I would paint them.

Here is a picture of what I mean:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan

Dallas, Tx
msg tools
mbmb
oldephart wrote:
I do not bother with the sails as that interferes with playing the game. I just say that I have slaves manning the oars. If somebody complains that they cannot see the oars I either tell them to get some glasses or to get a better pair of glasses.

Lol. That's awesome - what a great idea! That could be one way to distinguish between different painted civilizations too - keep one without sail and paint accordingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Here is a picture of what I mean:

Whoa. I stand corrected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I went ahead and glued the sails in tonight. I used Super Glue. Normally I avoid it and use stuff I got from Litko for using on acrylic. But these are soft plastic so thought Super Glue was safer. It worked great and no frosting like sometimes happens with other plastic types.

One thing I was disappointed with was all the flash on the army & ship figures. Had to use an exacto knife to remove a lot of it. Especially the bottoms of the ships so they'd sit flat.

The army, settlers, & ships are soft plastic. All the buildings are hard plastic and those were in much better shape. I think the buildings could be painted and hold up well. The extremely soft plastic of the others probably wouldn't. They remind of army men in how much they bend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
We use the masts thematically. One player does the unmasted slave labor ship. Another goes for the single sail Viking long ship. A third does swept sails.

I personally go Viking longship unless/until I get warships and then I add the other sail. It adds an intimidation factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One could also leave the sails off until the controlling power gains Navigation. Then you can look and see at a glance which ships are a threat that could move around the outside of the board and attack you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.