Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryce Journey
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The box says the game supports 3-4 players but there's really no reason why 2 players couldn't play the game with the rules as is. However, I've introduced a couple of rules modifications for a two-player game to make the game even more balanced, engaging, and entertaining than it already is. I've play-tested these rules with my wife a couple of times and we've had a lot of success with them. Let me know what you think.

Rules Modification #1 - During the Intrigue Phase, if a player wants to play a Scheme that requires more influence than they already have, instead of asking their opponent if they can "borrow" their influence, they pay their opponent an amount of gold and/or gold value (of cards in hand or in play) to make up the difference where 1 gold = 1 influence.

Rules Modification #2 - During the Market Phase, if a player was outbid on both cards up for auction, they can commit to buy the top card of the Market deck at a cost of the card's gold value + 1 (without looking at the card first). If the player cannot afford the card, they forfeit their remaining gold.

Rules Modification #3 - During the Market Phase, the Host token is not put up for auction. Instead, the Host token alternates between players from one turn to the next. However, a player must pay 5 gold for the Host token when it's their turn to Host. If they cannot afford token or decline to purchase it, their opponent has the option to retain control of the Host token for 5 gold. If both players decline to purchase the Host token, there is no Host for the game turn, no one receives the bonus influence for being the Host during the Arena Phase, and the defeated gladiator from the Arena fight is subjected to the whims of the crowd to determine if they live or die (roll a die: 1-3, the gladiator dies; 4-6, the gladiator lives).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cormier
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the sound of this. Sounds like it might work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
radagast14 wrote:
If both players decline to purchase the Host token, there is no Host for the game turn, no one receives the bonus influence for being the Host during the Arena Phase, and the defeated gladiator from the Arena fight is subjected to the whims of the crowd to determine if they live or die (roll a die: 1-3, the gladiator dies; 4-6, the gladiator lives).

That seems a bit too random to me. I would give the roll some modifiers such as the following:

Has any number of "Favour" tokens: +1
Has "Champion" Token: +2
Slave: -1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Journey
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
NappyPlayer wrote:
radagast14 wrote:
If both players decline to purchase the Host token, there is no Host for the game turn, no one receives the bonus influence for being the Host during the Arena Phase, and the defeated gladiator from the Arena fight is subjected to the whims of the crowd to determine if they live or die (roll a die: 1-3, the gladiator dies; 4-6, the gladiator lives).

That seems a bit too random to me. I would give the roll some modifiers such as the following:

Has any number of "Favour" tokens: +1
Has "Champion" Token: +2
Slave: -1

I was thinking a gladiator with the Champion token would still be immune to a thumbs up or down at the end of an arena battle, but I like the idea of the favour and slave modifications. That seems like a natural thematic modification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian L
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
radagast14 wrote:
instead of asking their opponent if they can "borrow" their influence, they pay their opponent an amount of gold and/or gold value.

Some Great ideas in this post. However, do you think this rule would influence the special ability of house Solonius, since they can always pay the bank instead of the other player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason (sans nation)
Germany
Holzhausen
March
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been going through the rules tonight. I'm predominately in a two-player games situation, but would love to be able to get this to the table plenty (I'm coming to it off the back of the first TV series, too).

I like a lot of your ideas for this variant and was wondering if the game could benefit from a third "dummy" player, in addition - and whether this might be mitigated by dice rolls to make that dummy player's decisions. The dummy could bid on auctions with a dice roll, the result being his gold bid. The human players would have to bid a minimum of six to definitely compete at auction, or take their chances on lower bids. Similarly the dummy could be approached for influence contributions by either human player by, again, a dice roll to see if the request meets favour. Goods may also be traded using this system - but there's potential for the human players to "game" this a little too much (mind you, a dummy opponent seems to work in 7 Wonders).

I don't see an obvious solution for all factors of the game, but whichever human is not fighting in the arena could take control of the dummy's combatant for the duration of their combat. I'm not even sure if the dummy player needs to be the Host of the games either.

Will give this some more thought, but I'm keen to hear if others think this might be the beginnings of a workable solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Williams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
radagast14 wrote:
Rules Modification #1 - During the Intrigue Phase, if a player wants to play a Scheme that requires more influence than they already have, instead of asking their opponent if they can "borrow" their influence, they pay their opponent an amount of gold and/or gold value (of cards in hand or in play) to make up the difference where 1 gold = 1 influence.

Doesn't this negate Solonius's special ability? He can already do this so that means if he is playing he is at a disadvantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PeR Aragon
Spain
flag msg tools
Solonius ability pays gold to the bank. The 2 player mod pays gold to the other player.

Actually is better paying bank than feeding and fatting the opponent's gold bag.

So, Solonius can sleep calm because his skill stands as good as ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Another option would be not using Solonius in a two-players game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Broad
United Kingdom
Unspecified
cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did any one try these suggestions?

Ive just got hold of the game and am in a predominatly 2 player situation

cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.