Ninja: Legend of the Scorpion Clan» Forums » General

Subject: How does this compare rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
russell gowlett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really like the theme of this game(ninjas rock!!) but am slightly hesitant about these hidden games.
I have played nuns on the run, and was not a fan (it was too easy for the nuns to make mistakes about if they were spotted, making things unfair on the hunting nuns.
I have also played Garibaldi quite a few times, and while I really enjoyed playing as Garibaldi, it wasn't as fun playing as the secret police.
I have never played scotland yard or letters from whitechapel, so can't comment on those.

So would you recommend this game to me, considering my doubts based on the above 2? Is it as fun playing the guards in this game as the ninja, or does that get a bit boring or confusing?

Also, 2 hours seems a bit long for this type of game, do you guys find it lasts a bit too long for your liking?
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Granted, I am biased, but I love this game. The mind games are just too fun. I play it with my kids (aged 10 and 12) at their suggestion.

I have won on turn 3 as the guards when the intruders got to aggressive, and with a carefully played listen I was able to deduce exactly where they both were.

I have lost on turn 20 as the ninja with one--one!--zone left unexplored.

Some people have an issue with asynchronous actions and the necessity for the intruder to annoucen searches, but IMHO the first is a necessity, and the second isn't a bug, but a feature: it's another way for the intruder to mislead the guard player.

Sometimes the best option is your worst option: I won a game by letting myself be seen near a dead end... but the guard player thought I was escaping the dragnet! Instead, I was entering it, trapping myself. A foolish play... except that the guard player knew I wouldn't be stupid enough to enter, so he sent all his guards in the other direction.

It's tense on both sides. One side is trying to avoid death, the other is trying to capture an eel with greasy hands. At least that's how it feels to me.

I've never had a game last more than an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this game a lot but on the other hand I also like Scotland Yard. The theme is great and mechanics are fun for me, it's really a big game of hide and seek. I played traitor, ninja and guard and all worked well for me. Guard was the hardest one for me.

It doesn't take two hours to play, we mostly finish a game in 1 to 1u30 max. We did fill an night one time but that was with a real slow player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Moyersoen
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the game can be played in one hour, but to be honest I must inform you that one test-play lasted 4 hours. I will not tell you which test group it is as they might read this post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
russell gowlett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks guys!
Wow, 4 hours is a while, I guess both the ninjas and the guards need to brush up on their skills!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Whittaker
United States
Andrews AFB
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Romans 1:16
mbmbmbmbmb
I play this game with my wife weekly- we always finish in under an hour and we trade wins almost every time. I have yet to be the ninja but each nuance of the game is magnified as we have learned about eachother. Wether it's a turn 6 loss or a fast win we still find ways of outsmarting eachother!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Moyersoen
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's clear that Joe is an experienced player who knows the game very well.
For your first game, when you are still struggling to understand the game mechanics, please provide the double of playing time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edbolme wrote:

I have won on turn 3 as the guards when the intruders got to aggressive, and with a carefully played listen I was able to deduce exactly where they both were.

Man Ed you can't just let me forget this one huh lol. OK me and Arnold made some silly mistakes angry

It is NOT "Ninjas on the Run" and I LOVE Letters from Whitechapel (can't wait for the reprint) but find the two VERY different so I will not compare them. Same with Garibaldi. While I enjoyed it I like Ninja better then Garibaldi.

Ninja has more for the Hidden Movement players to do. They are not just trying to get off the board. They are actually trying to get into the center of the board AND get off the board in only 20 turns. Very challenging! I recommend getting a copy.

I think the game excels with two players but the difficulty really ramps up with 3 players. I would recommend 2 or 4 players myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordunborn wrote:
[Man Ed you can't just let me forget this one huh lol. OK me and Arnold made some silly mistakes angry

I didn't name names.

But it is a great illustration of the variance of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.