mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
So according to the timing sequence, an encounter could go like this...

The runner breaks all subroutines on Woodcutter.
The corporation uses the paid ability on AstroScript to put a token on Woodcutter.

This new subroutine was never broken and therefore triggers.

So, do we need a new timing sequence diagram, or does it work this way?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavlos Pavlopoulos
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: Woodcutter + AutoScript Pilot Program
This sounds reasonable. All runner paid abilities trigger first, and then all corp abilities.

Also, take a shot!

Edit: Yes, the below posts are right. I forgot that after a set of paid abilities from a player has resolved, the other player gets the chance to act again.

Thus the runner gets a change to break the extra sub spawned by the Astroscript counter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Poitier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you check the timing diagram in the FAQ, you can only use paid abilities during step 3.1, regarding an ice being encountered. That step is the one where the runner can interact with his icebreakers, on the ice being encountered.

As such, since the corp uses the hosted token to use AstroScript's paid ability in the time that the runner is interacting with the ice, that means that the runner can continue interacting with the ice and thus break the new subroutine created.

So the run isn't automatically ended, since you can't use paid abilities when resolving all unbroken subroutines (and thus the runner can break the new subroutine created at the time it's created)

3. The Runner ENCOUNTERS a piece of ice. (‘When encountered’ conditionals meet their trigger conditions)
3.1 Icebreakers can interact with the encountered ice, (paid abilities can be triggered)
3.2 Resolve all subroutines not broken on the encountered ice. ...Either the run ends: go to [6]
...Or the run continues: if there is another piece of ice protecting the server, go to [2]; if there is not another piece of ice protecting the server, go to [4].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the runner gets another chance to use paid abilities after the corp uses paid abilities in 3.1.

Its only really relevant for a MorningStar or Battering Ram on a tinkering'ed Woodcutter *cough spoilers*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Poitier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And for those wanting the complete info, here's taken from the manual directly :

Timing Priority
Whenever there is an opportunity to trigger paid abilities, rez cards and/or score agendas (usually at the beginning of a turn and after each action), the player who is currently taking his turn gets the first opportunity to act. He can trigger as many paid abilities, rez as many cards, and/or score as many agendas as he wishes in the order of his choosing. When he is finished, the other player gets the opportunity to act. When that player is finished, the first player gets the opportunity to act once again.
After both players have had at least one opportunity to act and a player declines to act, then the players cannot trigger more paid abilities, rez more cards, or score more agendas until the next opportunity to do so.
For more information on the intricacies of triggering paid abilities, rezzing cards, and scoring agendas, consult the timing diagrams on pages 32-33.

So the runner definitely can pay to break the new subroutine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did send this off to FFG for confirmation, but I agree with what's been said here that the Corp can do it and then the runner can pay to break it.

So what about drawing a parallel situation:
Ice Wall (already advanced once, so now Strength 2)
vs
Corroder (no Ice Carver, DataSuckers, Parasites, Personal Touches, Helpful AIs or anything else around).

Runner: I pay 1 to break Ice Wall.
Corp: I use AstroScript to advance Ice Wall. It's now strength 3.

IMO, the corp doesn't accomplish anything here, because the ice has already been broken. It was legal to break it at the time the runner paid for it, and making it illegal after the fact doesn't change that the subroutine is broken.

The fact that these similar situations work differently is bound to be a point of confusion, and hopefully something they can toss into an official FAQ at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Infocynic - I think that situation is the same as with a Troubleshooter, you are welcome to boost the strength of ICE after its been interacted with, but this isn't very useful; the subroutines are still broken.

The only case this might matter would be if you get some new cards which interact with an ICE's strength.

EG is you had a subroutine: do 1 net damage per strength of this ICE and the Anarch used Wrym to lower strength to 0 but didn't break sub, you could then boost it with troubleshooter. They could then lower it again, of course, if they had the cash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
IMO, the corp doesn't accomplish anything here, because the ice has already been broken. It was legal to break it at the time the runner paid for it, and making it illegal after the fact doesn't change that the subroutine is broken.

This is also why Corporate Troubleshooter must be used during step 2.3, before the Runner encounters the ICE; otherwise, the Runner would break the subroutines before the strength was raised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
I did send this off to FFG for confirmation, but I agree with what's been said here that the Corp can do it and then the runner can pay to break it.

So what about drawing a parallel situation:
Ice Wall (already advanced once, so now Strength 2)
vs
Corroder (no Ice Carver, DataSuckers, Parasites, Personal Touches, Helpful AIs or anything else around).

Runner: I pay 1 to break Ice Wall.
Corp: I use AstroScript to advance Ice Wall. It's now strength 3.

The fact that these similar situations work differently is bound to be a point of confusion, and hopefully something they can toss into an official FAQ at some point.

Yeah the first thing I thought of was obviously troubleshooter, but the woodcutter is unique in that it adds subroutines.

So it's pretty clear cut it seems, except that it only seems clear after a lot of reading

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
AutoScript

Drink!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.