Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is something about Christian Marcussen's designs that really sparks my imagination. It probably has a lot to do with the fact that he has tackled what for me are 2 of the Holy Grails of game themes: a pirate game and a civ game.

After the release of Merchants & Marauders, I spent hours and hours and hours creating an expansion that featured forts and mobile merchant ships, among other things. Similarly, after acquiring, playing, and promptly falling in love with Clash of Cultures, I spent hours and hours and hours creating an expansion that allows players to play the game as 1 of 7 very different civilizations. (Because I have a rather childish sense of humour at times, I was thinking of calling it "Clash of Cultures: Kingdoms", but I decided to stick with "Civilizations".)

This is a completely unofficial, totally fan-made expansion. I've only just finished creating it and haven't even had a chance to play it yet, so I have no idea how wildly unbalanced the civs are. My hope is that if I post it and people are inclined to give it a try, they will give me some feedback and I can tweak things as necessary.

Rather than simply give each civ one unique little trait, I've tried to create it in such a way that every civ will feel very different from the others. Each of the 7 civs has a Civilization Reference Board and a Commander Card. Here is what 2 of the civ boards look like without the Commander Cards in place:

(That second civ is, of course, a nod to the game designer... cool )

Everything you need to play the expansion can be downloaded from this file:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/86710/clash-of-culture...

The rules (which are included in the last page of that file) are as follows:

Setup

-Each player takes the Civilization Reference Sheet (CRS) and the Commander Card associated with it.
-The Commander Card should be placed image side down at the top right of the CRS.
-The CRS shows the starting tile for that civ and indicates on which hex to place the starting city/units.
-Each civ starts the game with a unique assortment of 3 advances and 4 resources. Any Mood or Culture tokens associated with the starting advances are also shown with the starting resources (don't forget to also mark them on the scale at the top of your original Player Board).

Civilization Powers

-Each Commander Card shows 2 commander abilities. Each game round (ie. series of 3 game turns), the player may use 1 (but not both) of those commander abilities. When an ability is used, flip the Commander Card so that the image side is face-up. During the Status Phase at the end of each round, turn the Commander Card text side up to indicate that 1 of the 2 commander abilities can be used again in the next game round.
-The Civilization Abilities show 2 special abilities that may be used at any time the conditions are met. Civs that can achieve a Cultural Influence against a specific building type on a roll of 4-6 do not have the roll against that building type improved even further with the “Conversion” advance. However, the roll of 4-6 still applies if the opponent has “Separation of Power”, “Totalitarianism”, or “Devotion” (it simply cannot be boosted through the use of Culture tokens).
-Most civs are predisposed toward a certain government type, which means that the first advance under that government type is cheaper, whereas the first advances under the other 2 types are more expensive.
-Each civ has 1 Wonder Specialty, which allows it to build that Wonder at a cheaper cost. The indicated Wonder may be built even if an opponent has set it aside with the “Monuments” advance.

Unique Units

-Each civ has a unique unit that it can build (which will need to be indicated with other tokens/figures).
-The unique unit will be either an Army unit, a Settler unit, or a Ship. It will share all the characteristics of the original game units of that type, with the exception of the rules written on the CRS.
-There is a limited number of each unique unit that can be in play at any one time, and unless otherwise stated, they will replace the same number of the original game's units of that type in your personal supply. Units that are eliminated from the board can be re-built with a future Build Units action and come into play again.
-Your civilization must develop to a certain extent before it acquires the knowledge and skills that are required to build unique units. You must have either 2 or 3 cities on the map (as shown on the CRS) and the indicated advance in order to bring the unique units into play. As soon as these conditions are met, you cannot lose the ability to build them even if you later lose some of your cities.
-Each unique unit costs 1 Ideas resource and a different assortment of 3 other resources to build. The full cost must always be paid for a unique unit, even with advances like “Draft” and “Civil Liberties”.
-If a unique unit has the ability to travel 2 hexes with a Move action, the “Roads” advance does not allow it to travel further (it can still only travel 2 hexes).

I should probably note that, since this variant adds several more things for players to keep track of, it probably shouldn't be included until players have a few plays of the base games under their belts so that they are fairly familiar with the game.

Clash of Cultures is a really amazing game (I hope to write a detailed review soon), and I hope that you enjoy this variation of the game!

Cheers, and happy civilizationing!! meeple

-Josh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
This is pretty impressive. I look forward to hearing about the balance after play testing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
redOne El Big Daddy
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious about Christian's thoughts about this tremendous effort of Joshua.
Thumbs up by me, anyways

Keep up this creativity beast!

The RedOne
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Dawson
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We did 2 games with these civs.

Thank you for your effort but I need to tell you that Vikings are by far too strong. Easy and ready access to gold from the beginning give them too much advantage.

They obliterated the other players in both 2P and 3P games we had
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blackholexan wrote:

Thank you for your effort but I need to tell you that Vikings are by far too strong. Easy and ready access to gold from the beginning give them too much advantage.

Thanks so much for the feedback!!

I'll definitely look over my work again at some point with your experiences in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
blackholexan wrote:

Just wondering which civs the other players were. Seems to me the Greeks might be pretty powerful too, but I've yet to try it out.

Looks sweet though and the commander card idea is very slick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Josh, thanks for sharing this file!

Have you adjusted the civilizations after initial release? I am really interested in giving a try to your expansion, as I just can't buy the Civilization expansion now.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Venshad wrote:
Josh, thanks for sharing this file!

Have you adjusted the civilizations after initial release? I am really interested in giving a try to your expansion, as I just can't buy the Civilization expansion now.

Thanks again!

I haven't done any tweaking since sharing the files, so there are likely to be some serious imbalances still. However I appreciate your interest, and do let me know how it goes if you give it a try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Francis

Tallahassee
Florida
msg tools
These look fantastic. I am just now buying Clash of Cultures. I'd love to hear more about anyone's experiences using this variant. It seems especially promising given the impossibility of finding Clash of Cultures: Civilizations.

Many thanks to Josh for the work to put this together!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cfr09 wrote:
These look fantastic. I am just now buying Clash of Cultures. I'd love to hear more about anyone's experiences using this variant. It seems especially promising given the impossibility of finding Clash of Cultures: Civilizations.

Many thanks to Josh for the work to put this together!

Thank you for the kind words! The timing of your post is amazing, because I've spent quite a bit of time today digging around in my old Clash of Cultures posts as I write the script for the final video in my "top 60 board games" series, so for the first time in much too long I've been thinking a lot about this game!

It's heartbreaking that the expansion (which I played a very tiny role in helping to develop) is so difficult to find because I'd much rather see people playing that than my untested ideas, but for those who can't get it, I do hope that this gives them something fun to play around with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.