jon doedren
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the steps for building a team for a one-off game, and what are the steps for building a starting team for a league?

I've read through the rule book and I know I'm missing it, but what are the 1) 2) 3) steps for building a team?

I.E., what page says: You start with this much cash, you can only have X amount of Y positions and this and that ratio must be a certain number.

Sorry for the newb question and thank you for any help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
The starting teams are the eight figures listed for each team under the starting figures column for each team, plus the cards and coaching dice also mentioned on the teams page.

On page 67 it says, "Starting up a new team is simple. All you need to do is choose which of the four types you want to play and then copy their 8 player starting line-up onto a roster sheet."

For one-off games, check out the Exhibition Matches section on page 50.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon doedren
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there rules that are the near equivalent of "you start with "X" money and then buy your team"? Or do you *have* to start with a pre-made team as stated on page 67?

My fear is is that a lot of personalization is being taken out of my hands, which is one of the things I really like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Silbernagel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
With the basic teams there isn't any personalization available to you at the beginning of league play. Each team has a starting roster of 8 players, as listed in the rule book. Those rosters, plus their accompanying coaching dice and cards total 100mc. No additional cash is granted prior to league play starting. This will mean that before the first game of your league, no one will be able to qualify for underdog bonuses (because all the teams will be worth the same 100mc), or be able to bid for MVPs.

The personalization comes from playing games and your players gaining experience and thus new skills.

One off games can be played with the same 8-player starting roster, or any roster you want really. I think the one-off games that have been the most fun are the ones where each coach takes their base 8 players, and each adds a random free agent OR each picks an MVP to play with. The 2 or 3mc difference that you'll end up with isn't enough to make a huge difference in a one-off game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon doedren
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played a game yet, so this is more of a question.

Does *not* being able to sculpt your base team with a base set amount of cash take some of the fun out of it?

While blood bowl does have over complication in some areas, the ability to sculpt my starting team (even though I could only sculpt just a little as i had very limited starting cash) made me feel more in control and I liked it.

Does anyone have any particular feelings on this "Set starting team lineup" process (one way or the other)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Silbernagel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I suppose you could allow everyone to have a starting amount of mc to build a team from. You'd still need to ensure that coaches don't exceed the maximums for each position though. But that's a requirement regardless of how you get started.

I'd save this team-building strategy for coaches with some experience of the game though. The starting line-ups are well rounded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon doedren
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
where are the maximums for each position in the book at?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The maximum players for each position are twice the number you're allowed in the starting team.

The starting teams are well balanced and best for inexperienced players but there's nothing to stop you allowing people a set number of credits to develop their own teams. You may want to put certain restrictions on them; for example no more than the normal starting team + 1 in each position for example to stop Orx/Veer-Myn team overloading on Guards or a maximum number of coaching dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon doedren
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the Trontek's who have: (pg 69)
2x Guards (20mc)
3x Jacks (24mc)
3x Strikers (30mc)
1x Coaching Dice (06mc)
2x DreadBall Cards (20mc)

equals 100mc

Starting teams equal 100mc (pg 50)

Every team starts with a minimum of 8 players (pg 66)
Every team can have a max of 7 Coaching Dice and 7 Dreadball Cards (pg 61)
Dreadball cards cost 10mc each (pg 61)
Coaching dice coast 6mc each (pg 61)

Trontek's can have a maximum (at any one time) of (pg 59)
4x Guards
6x Jacks
6x Strikers
and 14 players total (pg 59)

Pages 50, 59, 61, 66, and 69 of the rule book

Does the above sound right?

So if I wanted to build a Human team from scratch, I would have to:

Start with 100mc (pg 50)

Need a minimum of 8 players (pg 66)

Can purchase a max of: (pg 59)
4x Guards
6x Jacks
6x Strikers

Can have a max of 14 players (pg 59)

Can buy Coaching Dice and DreadBall cards at a cost of: (pg 61)
Dreadball cards cost 10mc each
Coaching dice coast 6mc each

With a max Coaching Dice and DreadBall cards of 7 each (pg 61)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Barrett
United States
Warren
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use the tournament rules which allow you to spend 30mcs to upgrade your team.

Spend the creds to add additional models, extra coaching dice, extra cards or even upgrade individual models.

If you choose to spend creds on upgrading models its 5 creds per rank so to get to rank 3 would cost 15 creds and offer you 3 rolls on the experience charts where as rank 1 would cost just 5 creds and net you 1 roll on the skill charts.

**Note - the roll/s must be completed immediately prior to your match with opponent witnessing the rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelican Pants
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The part of expanding your team that confuses me is where to get new figures to play with! Having bought the base game I have 10 Orx and 10 Humans, the only way I can see of buying new figures is the 8 figure sets Mantic sells which would take me up to 18 figures, 4 more than I could ever have on a roster.Is there anywhere you can buy individual figures (other than ebay) or am I missing something simple?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the moment this is the only way but they are going to be releasing alternative sculpts for each of the teams that will come in packs of 4 so you will be able to just buy them to top up the team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
jonahmaul wrote:
At the moment this is the only way but they are going to be releasing alternative sculpts for each of the teams that will come in packs of 4 so you will be able to just buy them to top up the team.

I think they might be coming in packs of three. One of each position, or one of one position and two of the other for the Marauders and the Veer-myn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Silbernagel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I asked the same thing about adding player models over on Jake's (the game designer) blog. Here's what he said:

Chuck says:

So far I’ve been enjoying the game a lot, both in our start-up league, and as simply one-off games. I was wondering however (if you know), what the plans are for models to boost my team. For example, the Forge Fathers only come with two striker models and I’ll like to add some more, without purchasing another full team box. Does Mantic have plans to make individual models, or perhaps smaller boosters (ex: maybe two- or three-packs) of figures available to players?

Quirkworthy says:

Manic are going to release team booster packs (can’t remember the exact name) with a number of variant poses in for the team.The number of each model is proportionate to the number in the base team, as it should be.

I think these are due in the next month or two, though I don’t have an exact date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure from the Kickstarter that it's packs of 4. But I think you're right about only 3 additional sculpts. Orx will get 2 Goblins and Veer-Myn 2 Striker. I wouldn't bet on it but I'm fairly sure that's how many it is! We're definitely getting 4 more miniatures for each team through the KS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
jonahmaul wrote:
I'm pretty sure from the Kickstarter that it's packs of 4. But I think you're right about only 3 additional sculpts. Orx will get 2 Goblins and Veer-Myn 2 Striker. I wouldn't bet on it but I'm fairly sure that's how many it is! We're definitely getting 4 more miniatures for each team through the KS.

Correct. That is what the kickstart people are getting but that is not the boosters. I am sure I read that they will be released in packs of three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, interesting. I guess three does make the most sense as it's one of each position (for some teams) and 2 x booster packs makes the boxed teams up to 14 (although you probably don't want that many because you want to leave space for MVPs/free agents).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.