West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have checked through the forum and cannot find an answer to this, somewhat simple question. Nor can I find an answer in the rules or FAQ. So here goes:

A server has a run against it which the Corp then decides to rez the ice associated with that server, and for arguments sake the run is unsuccessful.

Next a subsequent run against the same server and we come to the same ice card. Is this card now rez-ed from the previous run; or once the last run was completed was the ice returned to its un-rezzed state and hence the cost to rez the ice must be paid again?

The rules talk about returning server and upgrade cards to their original state, but it doesn't seem to mention ice.

I was assuming that ice had to be rezzed at each run against the server, assuming the Corp wants to of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once a piece of Ice is rezzed, it remains rezzed until instructed otherwise by a card effect.

(Conceptually, Ice is a one-time investment for the Corp that leads to continuous payment by the Runner.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
once ice is rezzed unless something specifically de-rezes it it stays face up and active.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, try to not assume anything. Assumption is the root of all troubles with game rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
In general, try to not assume anything. Assumption is the root of all troubles with game rules.

Amen to that. Thanks everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:

That and skipping/forgetting parts of the rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benedetto Loffredo
Italy
Portici (NA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JK777 wrote:
I have checked through the forum and cannot find an answer to this, somewhat simple question. Nor can I find an answer in the rules or FAQ. So here goes:

A server has a run against it which the Corp then decides to rez the ice associated with that server, and for arguments sake the run is unsuccessful.

Next a subsequent run against the same server and we come to the same ice card. Is this card now rez-ed from the previous run; or once the last run was completed was the ice returned to its un-rezzed state and hence the cost to rez the ice must be paid again?

Rules, page 18:

Rules wrote:
Note: Breaking all subroutines on a piece of ice does not mean
the ice is trashed. A passed piece of ice remains installed and is
approached during every subsequent run against the server it
protects

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sportacus wrote:
JK777 wrote:

Rules, page 18:
Rules wrote:
Note: Breaking all subroutines on a piece of ice does not mean the ice is trashed. A passed piece of ice remains installed and is approached during every subsequent run against the server it protects.
In Jason's defense, that passage of the rules specifically talks about the ICE being installed, not rezzed. (And the example run doesn't include any instances of all subroutines of a piece of ICE being defeated. Bad example! No biscuit!)

Normally, I'm a huge watchdog of The Munchkin Fallacy ("If the rules don't say you can't, that means you can"), but in this case it kind of seems appropriate to point out that if defeating the ICE meant that the ICE was de-rezzed, that -- as something that changes the game state -- would have been mentioned in the rules.

(The argument can, of course, also be made that "the ICE stays rezzed" is something that should have been explicitly stated in the rules, and I'm not arguing that point. That being said, as that does not include a change to the game state, it's a bit more acceptable that it not be explicit.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benedetto Loffredo
Italy
Portici (NA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:
In Jason's defense, that passage of the rules specifically talks about the ICE being installed, not rezzed.

In my defense I can only say I've read "installed" and not "rezzed".
I'm sorry.

I know that in the rules there is no statement about "ICE stay rezzed", but since there is a card in the core set like Cell Portal it was quite obviuos to me that in all the other case the ICE has to stay rezzed.
Also in the example at page 19 (though it's wrong about Crypsis and the timing of removal its counter) the Runner encounters an already rezzed ICE and the Corp didn't pay again to mantain it rezzed.

That said, maybe none of the above two things are better that state in the rules or in the faq that ICE stay rezzed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zhab wrote:
haslo wrote:

That and skipping/forgetting parts of the rule book.

And thinking it works like it does in Magic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manydills wrote:
And thinking it works like it does in Magic.

I would personally fit this in the "assumption" category. I assume that this must work like in MTG. No it does not...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:
Normally, I'm a huge watchdog of The Munchkin Fallacy ("If the rules don't say you can't, that means you can")

Thank you for giving a name to my pain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.