BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games for the boat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Max Leonard Hitchings
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This summer I will embark on a week-long boating holiday with four friends.
Does anybody have any suggestions for nautical/aquatic themed games? Pirate games also accepted but it isn't my favourite setting and we're already taking Pirate Fluxx.
Perhaps a co-op sea-journey with voyage of Sinbad type vibes? Or something silly but competitive along the lines of 'who will kiss a mermaid/coelacanth?'

I am having plenty of ideas I could try and turn into games but please save me the trouble by suggesting some that already exist!
Any weight or mechanic considered.

Thanks!

Xithigoo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd totally play a game about kissing mermaids/coelacanths. I can't think of a game that sounds quite that good, but...

Red November is a silly co-operative submarine adventure.

Fleet is an auction card game about fishing trawlers in Canada...but it's fun.

Container is about overseas shipping.

Libertalia a role selection card game about piracy.

Mundus Novus is a relaxing economic card game. Okay, it's not really 100% nautical, but there's a sailing ship on the box. Another thing I like about this game is that it doesn't glorify its theme; the rulebook takes time out to list some of the atrocities committed by its various historical personalities.

If you want to go digging, you can check out games with the Nautical tag and sort them by rank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Cantrell
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Fleet and Red November. Great suggestions.

I'd also add Navegador.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I realize now that your group is five total, so only go with Fleet if you think you might game while one of you is otherwise occupied. It's a pretty short game, if that matters. All the other suggestions so far play at least 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Moskop
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Fleet and Libertalia. Those were the first two games that came to my mind due to the theme and the fact that since they are card games, there is no chance the boat's rocking will send pieces flying around the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
I suggest Riff Raff if you want to get really meta with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Leonard Hitchings
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all of your suggestions and my sincere APOLOGIES that it took me so long to reply, I should check the geek way more often, clearly!

There were six of us in the end so I went for Lifeboat which proved pretty fun. We actually had less time for gaming on board than I'd hoped but managed a couple of rounds of Pirate Fluxx and I enjoyed reading Fighting Fantasy's Book 16: Seas of Blood to my crewmates and having them make the decisions(we came to a sticky end when our crew mutineed against us)

We travelled through The Great Glen in Scotland, climbed Ben Nevis, looked for the Loch Ness Monster, ate wild strawberries and swam in the river Oich.

I would strongly recommend it!

Thanks again

Xithi arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.