Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Leiner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG has an option to select "gameplay weight" that ranges from light to heavy on a five-point continuum.

How does one go about deciding how much "gameplay weight" a game has?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyndon Lampert
United States
Lake City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's entirely subjective, but you can consider game complexity, requirements of analysis, careful strategic planning, etc. You might look at the heaviness rating for the games you own to see how others view them and see if you agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Long time gamer that I am, gameplay weight at first escaped me. What were they asking for. After cogitating for a month or so. DING!

Compare something like Pickup Sticks which is so easy to play that you can drag neighbor kids in to something like Twilight Emperium.

Pickup Sticks is realy easy to learn and play but Twighlight Emperium is a bummer if you have never played games. Pickup Sticks are light, Twilight Emperium is heavy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Worden
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.mwgames.com/JumpGate ... check it out! ;-D
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksan wrote:
Emperium is heavy.

And it comes in a big heavy box too! Coincidence? ...

-Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe games have two weights. I discuss this in my blog:

http://ekted.blogspot.com/2005/12/weight-vs-weight.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim has it right. Game Weight is affected by the amount of learning required to play the game AND the amount of mental power required to actually play the game.

Chess is easy to teach or learn but to be really good requires years of experience.

I tend to rate my wargames from Medium Light (War at Sea) to Heavy (East Front Series).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, the weight rating basically means "overall amount of brain strain" (in a good way).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
jll1024 wrote:
How does one go about deciding how much "gameplay weight" a game has?

Undefined and entirely subjective. The definition I use is simply a measure of the difficulty in playing well. I consider that this covers both sides of Ekted's split in that complex/difficult rules are more difficult both to learn and to play well, as are games greater depths of choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the longest time I assumed this meant "How often you play this game." As in, "How much weight this game carries in your playing time."

After the realization it makes quite a bit more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksan wrote:
Jim has it right. Game Weight is affected by the amount of learning required to play the game AND the amount of mental power required to actually play the game.

Chess is easy to teach or learn but to be really good requires years of experience.

I tend to rate my wargames from Medium Light (War at Sea) to Heavy (East Front Series).

This quote illustrates perferctly what's wrong with weight: People rate the heaviest game they play as Heavy and adjust all lighter games downwards.

War at Sea is a light game--for a wargame. (Apparently, other wargamers rate it about the same a Skip does.) War at Sea has a relatively light rating of 1.8333, saying it's a slightly heavier game than Ticket to Ride (1.80) and a slightly lighter game than Ticket to Ride-Europe (1.983).

Nonsense!

To be honest, War at Sea ***SHOULD*** have a rating somewhere close to Puerto Rico or Power Grid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:
This quote illustrates perferctly what's wrong with weight: People rate the heaviest game they play as Heavy and adjust all lighter games downwards.

You are correct, but I don't think "BGG weight" is intended to be linear. I picture it as exponential. ASL is not 5x more difficult than Apples to Apples. It is 1000x more difficult! Because of this, people who have not played some of the truly heavy games cannot possibly rate game weight with any degree of accuracy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. I have started a list of my games by weight to see if I can work out why I am classifying them...no coherent principle has emerged yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
War at Sea and Ticket to Ride: Europe
I've played both games and believe that War at Sea is 'heavier' than TtRE.

To win at War at Sea, assuming having never played the game, is harder to figure out than Ticket to Ride: Europe. It might be heavier, say Medium, but compared to games like ASL or Wacht am Rhein II, War at Sea is very light weight.

I try to compare all games relative to each other. ASL is very hard to get into even with a totor. War at Sea can be learned solo.

How would you rate Go or Mah Jong? I can't figure out Go but Mah Jong is fun if you don't play rules based in the USA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.