Terra Mystica» Forums » General

Subject: Yowza! 3.8 game weight??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At first blush, the game doesn't seem that complicated. I've been watching videos and it seems like the mechanisms are easy to digest -- so what gives? Why the high complexity level?

I mean Dominant Species is a 3.9 ferchrissakes. Agricola is a 3.6.

How long do the 1st games usually take (which is usually my rule of thumb on the complexity of a game)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reddish22
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say the complexity is due to the number of different systems you have to manage, not that any of them are that tough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
dyeyk2000 wrote:
At first blush, the game doesn't seem that complicated. I've been watching videos and it seems like the mechanisms are easy to digest -- so what gives? Why the high complexity level?

How long do the 1st games usually take (which is usually my rule of thumb on the complexity of a game)?

The mechanisms for Dominant Species are extremely easy to digest. How they all interplay is where the complexity comes in.

I imagine the same is true here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Easier

Fairport
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
From our experience this weekend (thanks reddish!), its weight isn't necessarily the complexity of the individual parts, but the individual contribution of each part to the sum of the entire system. Just like with Dominant Species.

This game has so many paths to victory and enough asymmetry that it can feel heavier than the actual mechanics are. I gave it a medium-heavy rating and it feels to be just the right amount heaviness for me. Plenty of meat on the bone, but the meat is deliciously melting slow-roasted smokey goodness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
TM should be much closer to 3, I'd say maybe 3.2 or 3.3. Agricola is way more complicated. Le Havre, Ora et Labora, Trajan also all have a lot more going on than TM. Even Tzolk'in is a deeper game. I think the high weight is due to more of a crossover appeal from people who don't normally play heavy euros but are playing TM because it has a fantasy theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
MattShinners wrote:
dyeyk2000 wrote:

The mechanisms for Dominant Species are extremely easy to digest. How they all interplay is where the complexity comes in.

I think Matt has it. I would put it in between Agricola and Dominant Species myself. Probably closer to DS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Tadyshak
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
The game isn't too complicated, or really really deep. It just has a lot of different races.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chris1nd wrote:
MattShinners wrote:
dyeyk2000 wrote:

I think Matt has it. I would put it in between Agricola and Dominant Species myself. Probably closer to DS.

So . . . 3.8?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Torselli
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
TM should be much closer to 3, I'd say maybe 3.2 or 3.3. Agricola is way more complicated. Le Havre, Ora et Labora, Trajan also all have a lot more going on than TM. Even Tzolk'in is a deeper game. I think the high weight is due to more of a crossover appeal from people who don't normally play heavy euros but are playing TM because it has a fantasy theme.

NBAfan wrote:
The game isn't too complicated, or really really deep. It just has a lot of different races

I really can't understand you guys. Or I played Tzolk'in VERY WRONGLY or you haven't played Terra Mystica with the right people.

In our first games, the problem was managing your people do develop. Now that everybody understood that, the cutthroath has begun.

Our TM games are getting harder and harder. Dense, brain buster, heavier than ever.

Besides, there's no luck envolved, like the annoying cards of Dominant Species. (btw, I like DS, but never played it again since TM).

I think Trajan is a bad game (no interaction at all and everything you do works for getting points) and so is Tzoll'in (no interaction). Ora et Labora and Le Havre have the annoying convert anything in everything else system - besides that, I can realize that they are good games.

But nothing compares to TM in density, brain burning, interaction and replayability. It's a really really amazing game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.