Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Pax Britannica» Forums » General

Subject: Anyone interested in playing a Play by email game of Pax Britannica rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
keith gell
United Kingdom
eastbourne
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone interested in playing a Play by email game of Pax Britannica?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ground Pounder
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be up for it. Is there a Vassal module for it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keith gell
United Kingdom
eastbourne
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure about a vassel module. I was just thinking about a PBEM game. Maybe we could use the new 2nd edition rules, does it use 1st Edition map and pieces?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you guys read the "Play by Forum" game that we played here on BGG last summer? That was a wild one, starting here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/808955/pax-pbf-game1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Notmyreallastnameberg
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm in if anyone else wants to join. I've never played PB with a full set of players. This could be interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ground Pounder
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, I guess there isn't a Vassal module.

Warren: It seems like your PBF game worked reasonably smoothly; is that perhaps easier than or just as easy as trading emails?

I've only played PB face to face, and the phase where you place your influence etc. markers is of course rather "interactive" so I'm curious how the game works or changes in the non-ftf setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keith gell
United Kingdom
eastbourne
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The PBEM rules are here:

http://www.costik.com/pbpbm.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gromitspaw wrote:

Warren: It seems like your PBF game worked reasonably smoothly; is that perhaps easier than or just as easy as trading emails?

I've only played PB face to face, and the phase where you place your influence etc. markers is of course rather "interactive" so I'm curious how the game works or changes in the non-ftf setting.

I think the point of doing the "Play by Forum" here on BGG was to emulate the way actions are taken in the face to face game, rather than using sumultaneous move orders with algorithms of conditional orders. That was interesting given that the players and GM were scattered across the globe from India to the west coast of North America (the player from Bavaria was in India for part of the game).

It was also a way of playing the game in public, so that all the world could watch. One could set up a private email or forum group that would be invisible to the rest of the world.

We had a GM ("Funky Fresh Cecil") who had the technical know how to produce and update attractitive maps. There was a point when the GM was struggling with other time commitments, however, so another player also generated another kind of map.

Keeping the game moving was the biggest frustration. Some of us wanted to engage in the game constantly throughout the day. Others wanted to invest less time. GM & players need to have the time to commit. I'm guessing that simultaneous moves in the movement & status change phase would make that easier. However, the reactive quality of that phase in the face to face game would then be lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Oliver
Saint Lucia
Terrassa
Catalonia
flag msg tools
Too much people on Earth. Nihilism is the true path.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea was good but it just was the first experience for a play-by-forum for all of us, players and GM. The game don't help with his funky rules. But... maybe we can go again in a medium term future?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gromitspaw wrote:

I'm not Warren, but I play him on tv and in the movies.

I was in that game. It worked out REASONABLY well. If there is one person who is slow, it can REALLY slow down the game. You'll want some kind of limit and penatly for not answering.

Also, you can't control the crazy person who threatens to destroy the game somehow, when he's not in a position to win.

Finally, I wouldn't play with Italy. It's a dud of a country. I DO like playing with Japan (#5) and even Russia (#6).

Just my $.02.
Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the most fun things about that pbf game was the international cast of players. We had GM & players from British Columbia, Britain, France, Spain, Germany, New York, Florida, and Oregon. And a couple of the players travelled for work.

Hopefully a new pbem or pbf game will result in a similar international group of players.

Italy does work very well as a non-player country in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Oliver
Saint Lucia
Terrassa
Catalonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not Spain but Catalonia, please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teofilus wrote:
Not Spain but Catalonia, please.

Hear, hear!

I do hope to be able to ask for a Catalan Passport in the near future
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be interesting to observe a new PBF.
I would even think about joining, but I really dislike the extremely precise treaties that arise in PBF/PBM, as they do feel like rule-lawyering with VPs...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Reed
United States
La Junta
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
I would be interested in a PBEmail game if others are interested.... just let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keith gell
United Kingdom
eastbourne
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sancherib wrote:
I would even think about joining, but I really dislike the extremely precise treaties that arise in PBF/PBM, as they do feel like rule-lawyering with VPs...

Would you willing to be GM?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keith gell
United Kingdom
eastbourne
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do we have 7 players:

Ground Pounder
Warren Bruhn
Rob Notmyreallastnameberg
Oscar Oliver
Jason Johns
Jeffrey Reed
Keith Gell

and a referee:

Pablo Klinkisch

?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm busy with some other things at the moment, so I need to sit this one out. I could try to help you guys round up other players if you need that kind of help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
easypeasy wrote:
Sancherib wrote:

Would you willing to be GM?

Sorry, I'm currently moderating 2 PBF games (Origins and Pax Porfiriana) and don't have enough time to moderate something like PB.

On the other hand, you really don't need a moderator: just put some realistic deadlines and do the whole updating together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Ouzts
United States
Madison
Mississippi
flag msg tools
I would be interested if you need a player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Oliver
Saint Lucia
Terrassa
Catalonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can play but I cannot GM nor produce maps as I've resumed EiA referee and it consumes a lot of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keith gell
United Kingdom
eastbourne
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
May well do Jay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Derrick
United Kingdom
Coventry
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warren brought this to my attention. I used to GM Pax games 10 years ago and re-wrote the rules 4 times (see Files section). No interest in PBEM games now as I am in the fortunate position of getting regular face-to-face gaming. I remember that Pax games by mail were frought with problems over the wording of treaties so players must respect the GM's decision on these matters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keith gell
United Kingdom
eastbourne
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sderrick wrote:
Warren brought this to my attention. I used to GM Pax games 10 years ago and re-wrote the rules 4 times (see Files section). No interest in PBEM games now as I am in the fortunate position of getting regular face-to-face gaming. I remember that Pax games by mail were frought with problems over the wording of treaties so players must respect the GM's decision on these matters.

Well the chances of doing a game do not look good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Oliver
Saint Lucia
Terrassa
Catalonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... don't lose the faith
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.