Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pasi Lallinaho
Finland
flag msg tools
Learn more at xubuntu.org
badge
mbmb
I have a gift coupon for the FLGS and now I'm wondering what to invest in.

Here's my thoughts/requirements:

1) Same intensitivity as Power Grid. I think PG has great feel of tension when the game starts rolling.

2) Around Power Grid -heavy. If you think a game is otherwise a strong recommendation, I don't care if it doesn't really fit this definition, though at this time I probably don't want something that's much heavier than PG.

3) No sci-fi/fantasy theme or a game that mainly revolves around war/killing/destruction. Please note that this doesn't rule out direct conflict completely. (Feel free to recommend games that otherwise meets my criteria - it can help others.)

4) Diversifies my collection, but isn't too risky.

Here's two games I've been considering:

1) Copycat. Friedemann Friese is my favourite designer so this is an obvious consideration. On the other hand, I'm uncertain if I want to buy a game just because I like the designer.

2) The Manhattan Project. I've been looking at this for a while. Looks interesting. Those who have played both: does this feel like Power Grid: Factory Manager?

Do you think these would be good additions to my collection and/or what else would you suggest?

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Railways of the World. Its scalable 2-6 players, has expansion maps, multiple game mechanisms. In my group Power Grid and Railways are the two most commonly requested games which offer different thematic experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Industry !!!
Also check out Vanuatu, Le Havre and Puerto Rico - three completely different games in terms of theme and interaction - one of them should be a hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
emunkki wrote:

3) No sci-fi

What? A recommendation thread that someone can't use Eclipse? You might make BGG blow a fuse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
emunkki wrote:

3) No sci-fi

What? A recommendation thread that someone can't use Eclipse? You might make BGG blow a fuse.

I was going to list Eclipse along side of my RotW recommendation, but saw that requirement too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bkunes wrote:
How about Railways of the World. Its scalable 2-6 players, has expansion maps, multiple game mechanisms. In my group Power Grid and Railways are the two most commonly requested games which offer different thematic experiences.
Yep, I was going to say the same thing. Railways seems to be well liked by those in my group who also like PowerGrid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Lallinaho
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
bkunes wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation. This has drawn my attention as well, but it seems to be out of stock (for a longish time now).

I'll add this to my wishlist...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Lallinaho
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
godunow wrote:

Ugh, the artwork... Please convince me the game is awesome apart from that.

godunow wrote:
Also check out Vanuatu, Le Havre and Puerto Rico - three completely different games in terms of theme and interaction - one of them should be a hit.

These are all something I've been looking with the other eye at least. I don't think I'd like Le Havre or Puerto Rico too much, but I'll have to recheck Vanuatu.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Lallinaho
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
MWChapel wrote:
emunkki wrote:

3) No sci-fi

The games that fall into those categories are "will play, won't buy". I'll let others in my group get those if they fancy them.

Given an opportunity to play Eclipse I'd jump right in for all the positive reviews.

Edited for clarity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
A couple suggestions

Poseidon, a very light 18xx introduction like game, but still easily within the PG learning realm. Also Chicago Express fits in there.

Inca Empire

Reef Encounter. Lots of tense moments.

Magna Grecia. An older title that has been lost in the shuffle with the Cult of the New.

Tinners' Trail

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Lallinaho
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
MWChapel wrote:
A couple suggestions

Poseidon, a very light 18xx introduction like game, but still easily within the PG learning realm. Also Chicago Express fits in there.

Inca Empire

Reef Encounter. Lots of tense moments.

Magna Grecia. An older title that has been lost in the shuffle with the Cult of the New.

Tinners' Trail

I've looked at Poseidon as well, and while it's interesting, it's also been out of stock for a bit longer now.

Same goes for the rest. Generally I think the FLGS doesn't restock older games too often, unfortunately.

I'll keep these in mind for the next time I'm buying something online though. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played the two you're looking at. What do you like about Power Grid? If you like the auctions, I'd strongly recommend Goa. If you like making connections on a map, you might consider Hansa Teutonica. If you like the income feedback loop, I'd normally recommend Scepter of Zavandor, but since you seem to have antipathy for a fantasy theme you could be forgiven for looking at Phoenicia instead. All four games I've mentioned share that sense of upgrades/progress that Power Grid has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Van Kempen
Netherlands
Geldrop
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're thinking about the Manhattan Project (tMP), stop thinking. Buy this one. It's one of the best worker placement games IMHO.

I own tMP, Power Grid (PG) and Factory Manager (FM). I love FM too but you cannot compare FM with tMP. tMP has more player interactivity FM is more about what can I do to improve myself, tMP is more about what can I do to improve myself by blocking others..

I've played both more than a few times. tMP is more exciting throughout the whole game because you can bomb your fellow players or use a spy on them. It is very important to keep track of the amount of workers your opponent has in reserve. In FM this is not really important, you play your own game and it's really hard to block other people.
Our games of FM ended with quite a difference in points between players whilst our games of tMP ended with quotes like "If you did not build that bomb I would have won" or "because of your last attack I did not have a bomber left to load my bomb, that's why I lost."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I found Chicago Express very similar to Power Grid. A lot disagree with me but the auctioning and route building feel very similar. Granted, CE doesn't have engine building but I actually like it over PG due to the built-in player negotiation

Age of Industry is an awesome game! The artwork ain't great, no doubt about that, but once that board starts filling up the game gets interesting. There is room for negotiation and it's got a great market that is about half eurogame and half real world. Finding that niche and optimizing location works, and the game feels thematic to me. It doesn't take that long to play either, about 2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola fits your criteria and is a really popular game, so you should have no problems getting a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Roback
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Taj Mahal

There is bidding, route creation, and resource management.

Hansa Teutonica might be another one that deals with route creation, economics, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CD Harris
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emunkki wrote:
godunow wrote:

I was going to recommend Brass because, well, everyone should play Brass. AoI is a revision of Brass and Brass is awesome. You can't go wrong with either.

I can't recall ever hearing anyone complain about the artwork in either one, but that's irrelevant here. These are well-suited to anyone who likes PG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Manhatten Project is a good choice. Goa was also a good recommendation but its hard to find at a good price. For another excellent take on the auction mechanic coupled with worker placement take a look at Homesteaders . Excellent game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something else you might want to try that is a tad different try looking at Navegador. It's a game about exploring and market manipulation. It uses a rondel to generate action selection and the board is stunning...IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Lallinaho
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Osirus wrote:
Haven't played the two you're looking at. What do you like about Power Grid? If you like the auctions, I'd strongly recommend Goa. If you like making connections on a map, you might consider Hansa Teutonica. If you like the income feedback loop, I'd normally recommend Scepter of Zavandor, but since you seem to have antipathy for a fantasy theme you could be forgiven for looking at Phoenicia instead. All four games I've mentioned share that sense of upgrades/progress that Power Grid has.

Out of the ones you recommended, only Hansa Teutonica is available in the FLGS.

I do like making connections on a map, and I have many games that do that. Hansa Teutonica looks interesting, but I'm not sure if it's diverse enough to be worth the money (it's on the cheap end of the scale, so probably). I'll keep it in mind though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Lallinaho
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
RalfvanKempen wrote:
If you're thinking about the Manhattan Project (tMP), stop thinking. Buy this one. It's one of the best worker placement games IMHO.

I own tMP, Power Grid (PG) and Factory Manager (FM). I love FM too but you cannot compare FM with tMP. tMP has more player interactivity FM is more about what can I do to improve myself, tMP is more about what can I do to improve myself by blocking others..

I've played both more than a few times. tMP is more exciting throughout the whole game because you can bomb your fellow players or use a spy on them. It is very important to keep track of the amount of workers your opponent has in reserve. In FM this is not really important, you play your own game and it's really hard to block other people.
Our games of FM ended with quite a difference in points between players whilst our games of tMP ended with quotes like "If you did not build that bomb I would have won" or "because of your last attack I did not have a bomber left to load my bomb, that's why I lost."

Great to have an opinion from somebody who played both FM and tMP. It's great to hear they aren't too similar!

However, you now made me unsure if I like that much player interaction of that kind. Your comment makes it sounds like tMP is all about trying to block each other... Does this leave enough room for building your own stuff and playing with different strategies?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Lallinaho
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
hsiale wrote:
Agricola fits your criteria and is a really popular game, so you should have no problems getting a copy.

I've had Agricola and it didn't click for me. This is another reason I'm unsure about Le Havre as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Lallinaho
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Something else you might want to try that is a tad different try looking at Navegador. It's a game about exploring and market manipulation. It uses a rondel to generate action selection and the board is stunning...IMO.

How does Navegador relate to Poseidon?

Without going too deep into Navegador, they kind of look (not only visually and thematically) sameish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Lallinaho
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
spiraldaddy wrote:
Taj Mahal

There is bidding, route creation, and resource management.

Bidding (and bluffing)? Umm... Okay. I'll keep this in mind if everything else seems to fail.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Lallinaho
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Amuk wrote:
emunkki wrote:
godunow wrote:

I was going to recommend Brass because, well, everyone should play Brass. AoI is a revision of Brass and Brass is awesome. You can't go wrong with either.

I can't recall ever hearing anyone complain about the artwork in either one, but that's irrelevant here. These are well-suited to anyone who likes PG.

Brass even seems to be in stock, and I've looked at it before. Same as with AoI though, the artwork still doesn't convince me.

Artwork is definitely not irrelevant when I'm buying a game. If I don't like the artwork I will need to want the game really badly. I should try to make it affect less, but...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.