Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay I
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emunkki wrote:
bkunes wrote:
How about Railways of the World. Its scalable 2-6 players, has expansion maps, multiple game mechanisms. In my group Power Grid and Railways are the two most commonly requested games which offer different thematic experiences.

Thanks for the recommendation. This has drawn my attention as well, but it seems to be out of stock (for a longish time now).

I'll add this to my wishlist...

How about Steam as an alternative?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Lallinaho
Finland
flag msg tools
Learn more at xubuntu.org
badge
mbmb
destro wrote:
emunkki wrote:
bkunes wrote:
How about Railways of the World. Its scalable 2-6 players, has expansion maps, multiple game mechanisms. In my group Power Grid and Railways are the two most commonly requested games which offer different thematic experiences.

Thanks for the recommendation. This has drawn my attention as well, but it seems to be out of stock (for a longish time now).

I'll add this to my wishlist...

Hmm, in stock, so possible. I think I need to watch this.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Lallinaho
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Amuk wrote:
emunkki wrote:
Brass even seems to be in stock, and I've looked at it before. Same as with AoI though, the artwork still doesn't convince me.

Artwork is definitely not irrelevant when I'm buying a game. If I don't like the artwork I will need to want the game really badly. I should try to make it affect less, but...

The board for AoI is kinda dull. Brass doesn't have that problem. All of the art in it is quite evocative of the period.

They both seem boring and unattractive for me.

For comparison, I think Power Grid looks very attractive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
emunkki wrote:
Amuk wrote:

The board for AoI is kinda dull. Brass doesn't have that problem. All of the art in it is quite evocative of the period.

They both seem boring and unattractive for me.

For comparison, I think Power Grid looks very attractive.

I bought AoI as an alternative to Brass because it offered 2p support out of the box and promise of expansions. And unattractive board was something that made it gather dust on the shelf for half a year - every time I looked at it I though "lets play Puerto Rico/Castles of Burgundy/Homesteaders instead". But when I finally played it I was amazed - I never thought economic game can be so fun, intense cutthroat experience. I like Power Grid very much, but I'm in love in Age of Industry. Aye it is ugly, but has interesting personality
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, if look is important to you be sure to check out Homesteaders (second edition - don't know how others look). It's production values are simply amazing. And it is very good game, too.
emunkki wrote:
destro wrote:

Hmm, in stock, so possible. I think I need to watch this.

In Steam it killed me how you need to setup base map and put expansion map on it (expansion maps come in different sizes). I've seen in reviews that Age of Steam has solved it better with common part of the board separated from map.

If you want common part separate you have to print it out from files on bgg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Lallinaho
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
godunow wrote:
Oh, if look is important to you be sure to check out Homesteaders (second edition - don't know how others look). It's production values are simply amazing. And it is very good game, too.

The game page says best with four, but some reviews say best with two. Which one is it and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Lallinaho
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
godunow wrote:
*snip*

In Steam it killed me how you need to setup base map and put expansion map on it (expansion maps come in different sizes). I've seen in reviews that Age of Steam has solved it better with common part of the board separated from map.

If you want common part separate you have to print it out from files on bgg.

My wife wouldn't want me to think about expansions, at least not before having bought the base game and played it a few times...

On a more serious tone, I don't think this is a showkiller, but it's good to know it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played it with 2 and it was great. But be aware that for 2 players auction uses dummy player mechanics which some people may not like. I found it very well thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Lallinaho
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
godunow wrote:
I have only played it with 2 and it was great. But be aware that for 2 players auction uses dummy player mechanics which some people may not like. I found it very well thought.

If the dummy player plays well and without too much extra brainwork, I think it's fine.

At the moment, I'm not looking for a two player game but a game that works well with my gaming mates. Working well with two is extra, but by no means necessity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've played Homesteaders with 2, 3, and 4.

The dummy player is extremely easy to navigate... it simply sets the minimum bid on one of the two auctions for that round. The minimum bid goes up or down in the next auction depending on if one player passes or not. Starting player gets to decide which auction the dummy player bids on, so the fight for the start player token is a little more meaningful.

3 and 4 player games don't play all that differently from each other.

Any way you play it, it is a satisfying and thinky game. IMO, it's better with more players because games that are best with 5 players are more fun than games that are best with 2 (social aspect), but the strategy for winning the game doesn't differ much, aside from the auction fight. Optimizing your building acquisitions, debts, where to place your workers, etc etc is never anything less than a deep and strategic experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Lallinaho
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
I've played Homesteaders with 2, 3, and 4.

The dummy player is extremely easy to navigate... it simply sets the minimum bid on one of the two auctions for that round. The minimum bid goes up or down in the next auction depending on if one player passes or not. Starting player gets to decide which auction the dummy player bids on, so the fight for the start player token is a little more meaningful.

3 and 4 player games don't play all that differently from each other.

Any way you play it, it is a satisfying and thinky game. IMO, it's better with more players because games that are best with 5 players are more fun than games that are best with 2 (social aspect), but the strategy for winning the game doesn't differ much, aside from the auction fight. Optimizing your building acquisitions, debts, where to place your workers, etc etc is never anything less than a deep and strategic experience.

So if it's ultimately an optimization game with bidding, how does it differ from Power Grid: Factory Manager?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Never played PG:FM, but the best games are optimization games, imo. Games where you have a limited amount of actions/resources/rounds/etc to best your opponent(s) rock.

Homesteaders is a tableau builder, if that helps. You only have 10 auctions to get the best 10 buildings. It's economic because if someone is going for the win by having, say, the most residential buildings and has a good lead, perhaps you should look at industrial buildings. Even though the same buildings show up each game, I never feel like I'm playing the same game over and over. Its relative lack of randomness, yet its exciting replayability, all without being dry, is genius
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin O
United States
Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could take a look at these. . .

Glen More
Kingdom Builder
The Castles of Burgundy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Lallinaho
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Ghost Boy wrote:
You could take a look at these. . .

Glen More

I read somewhere that Glen More is similar to Suburbia. Is this true?

I own and like Suburbia very much, but I'm not sure if there's "room" for another similar game.

Ghost Boy wrote:

Right now Kingdom Buidler seems to be out of stock.

Need to read more on The Castles of Burgundy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |