Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Adams
United Kingdom
Haddington
East Lothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me start by stating that I really like the mechanics, theme and game play of this game. Others have posted complaints and misgivings about the sub-standard quality of some of the game’s components and I do not wish to add to these here.

I was just interested to hear what others may have done in terms of pimping out the components for this game to improve aesthetics and playability. Please post your experiences and ideas here for the rest of the community and link other posts/threads as appropriate. (Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere).

Here is what I have done so far:

Record damage, passengers and hidden movement counters on the ship templates rather than the board – I have marked one of each pair of the plastic ships to distinguish them and similarly split the templates into two marked areas. Now the passengers, damage markers and movement tokens can be placed ON the templates – reducing clutter on the board and making it quite clear what is meant for each ship.

Replace damage markers with small D6s. (Each small D6 on the template can show from 1 to 6 points of damage. Less fiddly and take up less space).

Replace multiple resource wooden tiny cylinders on blue, red and green planets with a single small D6. (The colour of the resource is implied by the colour of the planet it is on, all planets are capped at holding at most 5 resource tokens, so a single D6 per planet is enough. Obviously zero is denoted by the absence of a dice all together).

Use some other marker (like poker chips), to show “in hand” resources per player (with Blue still representing 5), adjusting the facing of the on-planet dice accordingly as you go along to update the number of resources still on the planet's surface.

For me this addresses the more fiddly aspects of the components: tiny wooden cylinders which fall over and roll about, difficulty in clearly showing which move token stacks, passengers and damage tokens relate to which ships, the likelihood of knocking things over when moving ships around on the board and the fiddly effort of trying to avoid doing this.

Note: I guess my changes are all functional rather than cosmetic.

What have other people thought / tried / changed?

Thanks for any other suggestions and / or feedback.

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
You're either born a pirate or not! It's in the blood...
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea, I'm subscribing to this thread for everyone's ideas.

One thing I did immediately is replace the small cylindrical tokens used for the resources.

I replaced mine with with the corresponding color of tri-beads. I think they convey a nice science fiction vibe. They 11mm in size, which is slightly larger than the cylinders. Their size and shape make them easy to pick up, and they don't roll across the table. They are readily available at big box hobby stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Carluccio
Italy
Bologna
flag msg tools
Fantastic thread, guys!
Im coming from the GobConDeluxe convention in bologna (italy) where we played Exodus exactly with small dice for damage and resources, changing the value according with resources we take from the bank or that was been refilled on map.

This can result in a faster setup and play turn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The miniatures that come with the game already have holes so they can be mounted on flight stands. If you purchase the "correct" flight stands you can get dice holders and counters built in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Carluccio
Italy
Bologna
flag msg tools
Captain Yellowbeard, where do you found the stands? they seem to be perfect for this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Blake
United States
Benicia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great thread! Just got my copy from CSI and the game could definitely use some "pimping". I'd also be interested in where those flight stands were sourced from. Also, for those replacing the fiddly little cylinders with small dice how many have you been ordering of each type (red/green/blue) and what size?

Richard - if you're able to post a photo of how you have modified the ship templates that would be great!

Thanks!

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Blake
United States
Benicia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI - I found the flight stands. They're from Litko...

http://www.litko.net/products/Flight-Stand-Dice-Tray-with-Di...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the late reply, but they can be purcahsed from Litko. There are others available too.

FRP Games 5 for $7.98

FRP Games 5 for $4.98

5 stands with dice for $3.00 plus shipping contact furballflightstands@cox.net
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alwin Derijck
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome add-ons.

Thanks for the tip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alwin Derijck
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know of (European) online stores that sell these "corresponding color of tri-beads" ?

Thanks for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pickard
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just posted a picture of my switch to plastic Risk pieces.

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1601948/exodus-proxima-centau...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, I usually only thrift copies of the Risk with the Colonial game pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James K
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wolvenwood wrote:

I like this. I will keep it in mind for other games too. We have an old copy of Risk that hasn't been out of the box in a good few years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alwin Derijck
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
wolvenwood wrote:

Brilliant!

How much pieces of each color is needed?
I'm going hunting for Risk bits and pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Judd
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Yellowbeard,

I like the look of the clear ones, first ones you linked to.

They have 1-6 numbered on the base. Is that used?

Also, do the Exodus ships fit into the stand using their premade holes and are they secure?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Judd
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Also, they have 1.375" or 2.5" bases with pegs. The 2.5 seems way to big, but with the 1.375, not sure if the dice holder will be longer than the base itself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Waller
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beware. I e-mailed Litco and they say the pegs in their stands DO NOT fit the Exodus ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Judd
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I actually just pulled out my game and ships and the holes are only 1/16"... hrmm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bloodh4wk wrote:
Yellowbeard,

I like the look of the clear ones, first ones you linked to.

They have 1-6 numbered on the base. Is that used?

Also, do the Exodus ships fit into the stand using their premade holes and are they secure?

Not directly used for Exodus, one can use the small black "arrows" to slip over the post to use as a secondary counter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Judd
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Hey guys, I was just looking at my ships from Exodus and the pre-made holes made in the bottom of the ships are approximately 1/16" in diameter.

All the flight pegs on litko and the ones CaptainYellowbeard proposed are all pegs with an 1/8" diameter.

So the question is, is there a simple technique that is used to make these standard 1/8" pegs work with the 1/16" holes in the Exodus ships?

OR does anyone know of a retailer selling smaller pegs that would work (along with clear bases hopefully)

I havn't played any other 4X space games or wargames so I don't have any experience but it seems the Exodus ships are on average smaller than most other miniatures used in these games. So does anyone have some advice on how to get my Exodus ships "flying in the air" that ideally doesn't involve creating stands from scratch. Also having small bases and clear plastic would be great.

THANKS for any advice/help,
Jonathan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two choices really, make the hole bigger or the peg smaller. As I've seen other places internet they use some of the small rare earth magnets to make the ships attach to the stands.

Make sure to use the appropriate diameter drill bit and manually "drill" the ships to enlarge the holes. Avoid power tools. Then insert magnet and glue other magnet to peg. Pay attention to the magnetic polarity before gluing magnets.

Magnetic Flight Stands

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pickard
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sorry about the late reply. I think that the hard part are the blue pieces as you need just over 100 of them. I need about 50 more blues to complete my set. If you find a Risk set with these types of pieces, you should have plenty for the green and red components, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Wolski
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here, let me get those cobwebs out of the way and blow off this dust.
[cough, cough]
That's better.

I realize this thread is a bit old, but I thought I'd post this anyway. The KickStarter for the new expansion included some awesome stands for the ships and stickers to label them 1-4. The stickers were functional but not optimal as the black numbers on the black background were difficult to see.

I wanted something easier to see and I'm cheap and lazy so I busted out my excessively large collection of Sharpies and released my inner 5 year old.

The ink is applied to the inside face of the stand bases so it shouldn't rub off with normal use. I was really pleased with the glowing effect. Haven't decided on what I'm going to do with the 'white' faction yet, but I think these provide a cheap and easy solution.

FYI, when you screw up, and you will, alchohol on a q-tip removes the ink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Wolski
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CapnYB wrote:
Great idea, I'm subscribing to this thread for everyone's ideas.

One thing I did immediately is replace the small cylindrical tokens used for the resources.

I replaced mine with with the corresponding color of tri-beads. I think they convey a nice science fiction vibe. They 11mm in size, which is slightly larger than the cylinders. Their size and shape make them easy to pick up, and they don't roll across the table. They are readily available at big box hobby stores.

I think these are good to have on hand to pimp out all sorts of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alwin Derijck
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jwski wrote:

I wanted something easier to see and I'm cheap and lazy so I busted out my excessively large collection of Sharpies and released my inner 5 year old.

The ink is applied to the inside face of the stand bases so it shouldn't rub off with normal use. I was really pleased with the glowing effect. Haven't decided on what I'm going to do with the 'white' faction yet, but I think these provide a cheap and easy solution.

FYI, when you screw up, and you will, alchohol on a q-tip removes the ink.

Excellent idea! I am one of the expansion backers on Kickstarter and I love the flight stands. It is a pain in the "you know what" to sticker them all. After having glued all the stands and being about 30% through the stickering your alternative way of numbering is very appealing.
Thanks for sharing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.