Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
244 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 

Runebound (Second Edition)» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: PBF 16 - Misplaced my car keys and the scepter of kyros - Discussion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4 - 6 player game

We will start when we have 6 players or Tuesday 12 noon EST, whichever comes first. klane will be given preference, if he responds, in order to share the candy with new trick-or-treaters.

Game thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/921435
Autoplay commands: http://careyj.com/runebound/
Automation thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/907109 - for house rules and checking if suspecting server problems.
Official rules: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Runebound/rune...
Official Scepter of Kyros rules:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Runebound/rune...

Setup

Game will have a rather random mix.
* Heroes from Island, Frozen, DungeonQuest, and Midnight.
* Market decks from base, Artifacts, Champions, Walkers, Weapons, and maybe Island (if it lets me). Essentially, trying to maximize availability of items that a giant would use should one, by freak occurrence, come into possession of a town's market.
* Challenge decks from SoK, and also trying to include Traps (bec I am a masochist), Drakes, and Beasts if it is allowed by the script; these shouldn't conflict thematically, though we won't see their blues.

First, I will randomly set the order of players. Second, I will draw players x 2 number of heroes. Last player picks first, first player picks last. Not sure if this will be better than 3 cards each, but let's try it. The disparity in the heroes has been a nuisance.

House Rules

See the standard pbf rules here.

Banned heroes - these juvenile delinquents have been banned and will be replaced in the setup:
* Hugo the Vainglorious and Trenloe the Silly for shooting up steroids in the bathroom.
* Mirala Goodtide and Grey Ker for stealing things (very bad for this endgame).

The following house rule will apply for Charmer Flute and Ghost Armor:
* Charmer Flute - takes 2 fatigue to activate (lasts 1 round).
* Ghost Armor - takes [round # + 1] fatigue for each round.
rounds/fatigue to spend would be:
1/2
2/5
3/9
4/14
5/no one will ever get that high

Special Kyros mechanics

If you draw a green or yellow, and it's NOT a monster (an event/encounter or global event), discard it (removecard for encounters) without resolving (but still refresh if it's a global), and then .

After resolving the kyros card, draw the regular, non-kyros deck again.

There is also some special setup at endgame.

PBF play

Other than that, there are not a lot of rules to know. If you ever unsure what to do, post in this thread in order to keep the game thread separate from housekeeping and digressions.

On the game thread, submit commands on new posts.
* Edited posts are ignored by the scripting server.
* Multiple commands can be submitted on a single post and are processed in order starting at the top.
* Commands before any quoted text is also ignored.

There are a few conventions that have proved to be helpful. See PBF 14 for examples.
* when moving, indicate what terrain type is being moved into, and what die (or ability) allows that.
* for combat, edit the same post repeatedly, adding new lines for each phase and round of the fight. That way, each encounter is kept on a single post.
* mark the end of your turn with something like a bold END OF TURN, to make it clear to the next player that they're up.

We're aiming for one or more move per person per day. But, if you won't be able to make a move for more than a day due to other obligations, just as a courtesy please post something in this thread.

GeekGold to
Carey J
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
for automated PBF!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have my sword.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in - gotta get the taste of my terrible performance in #11 out of my mouth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as we are guaranteed 4, I have updated the start time to:
"We will start when we have 6 players or Tuesday 12 noon EST, whichever comes first."

Edit: if we get the 6th guy, I'll probably just start this right away. The noon time is more if we don't get 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey J
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Believe it or not this is a variant I have never played. I am in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scepter is one of the best, so you're in for fun game.

Protip: when going against blues don't hold 30 gold on yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok we're going with 5 players, should be interesting. i'll assign the players and start the game, which will set the order. Then i'll draw 10 hero cards. Last player picks first and down the line to first player, who picks and then takes his turn.

This is only my 2nd time playing kyros, so read the rules and let me know if i screw something up.

Edit: hero pick order (start at the bottom)
areinu is player number 1
montag451 is player number 2
marlowespade is player number 3
gilgatex is player number 4
SirWashington is player number 5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kael, son of gurin - confusing. Never seen him before.

His weapon and armor "ability" is that he can't use any that cost 4 or less? Would they still count as one of the 2 weapons and 1 armor?

His +3 bonus for 1 fatigue is once per phase per round, or once per phase per combat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This must be one of the most poorly conceived characters I've seen. A character designed to roll high but be practically prohibited from dealing more than 1 wound for the entire game. I can only imagine how much rolling is involved for his end game shake

edit: Ha, Mike linked him too.

Since items designate what type of item they are through the text box, I'd have to say they are no longer considered "weapon" or "armor" for him.

His ability lists no other limitation besides "per phase." So you can use his ability every phase of each round (until his stamina is gone, of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ha we having the same confusion. oh, so he can't take any weapon 4 or above??? wow

edit: actually you don't seem confused, just me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edited my post to answer your questions.

What I was saying is that since weapons and armor of value 4 or higher become blank, this automatically makes most sources of extra damage useless to him, making him deal 1 damage per combat phase for (what would likely be) the entire game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what a weird way to phrase it. why not "cannot use weapons or armor costing > 4 gold".

I guess not being able to use it, it could still count, but if the text is empty, then it doesn't, as you say. Also, he couldn't sell it even!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically, according to the card anatomy in the rule book, gold value is not part of the card's "text." The card text refers to the text box under the item's picture.

What I think they were going for with him, is that you don't want to use weapons and armor with him (his picture is a bare chested dude with his fists raised), but rather than prevent you from even holding those items, you simply can't use their text. Otherwise, saying, "You can't use weapons/armor of cost 4+" would mean if he found any such item as a reward, he'd have to immediately discard it since he's not allowed to use it. Remember, there's no inventory system in Runebound, if you have it, it's considered equipped.

This way, he can still take them as rewards, then sell them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Yi

California
msg tools
mb
Here's a nice thread with a background post on Kael.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/1998642#1998642

Good luck in your game, I would have joined but February's looking crazy for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I figured it was something like that. Still, for RB's combat design, this seems like it'd be a pretty tedious character to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Yi

California
msg tools
mb
Tedious but amazing I'm guessing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'd imagine with good non-weapon/armor items, and a few levels, most battles would probably be a forgone conclusion. It'd just take you longer to finish said battles than other characters laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marlowespade wrote:
I usually play low-HP, non-melee characters

Seriously, you might as well wear a "kick-me" sign on your back. sadly, i am somewhat close to that, due to finding the standard fighter types boring. i think this explains our poor showing in #11.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SirWashington wrote:
Marlowespade wrote:
I usually play low-HP, non-melee characters

Seriously, you might as well wear a "kick-me" sign on your back. sadly, i am somewhat close to that, due to finding the standard fighter types boring. i think this explains our poor showing in #11.

Couldn't agree more. Of course, I also play RB mainly solo IRL, so there's more of an opportunity to gather the resources to make those "kick me" types viable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eliam vs Elaria: Does Eliam take damage if he fail his 2nd/3rd/nth melee attack? Elaria specifically says so, then Eliam doesn't?

Midnight guys generally seem to REALLY weak compared to other heroes, mostly because Midnight is more "we're all gonna die!" than heroic adventures that you normally see in Runebound.

Tahlia also is one of those "hi, I'll roll 100 times to win". My friend always chooses her(refuses to play RB otherwise), and boy... He takes ages to win battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see no reason that Eliam wouldn't also take wounds from failed bonus attacks. I suspect Elaria had that extra text more as a reminder than a rule, since the rules state that any failed attack in a combat phase results in taking wounds according to the enemy card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Areinu wrote:
My friend always chooses her(refuses to play RB otherwise)

that seems... kind of ... weird...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirWashington wrote:
Areinu wrote:
My friend always chooses her(refuses to play RB otherwise)

that seems... kind of ... weird...

It's a weird friend. But still a good person.

He even demanded we let him change Syndrael to Tahlia in the middle of 2nd edition campaign, while keeping all the items and skills that he had. I'm not saying anything, but Tahlia the Knight is much worse than Syndrael. If she was berserker than maybe it would have been alright...

She reminds him of some character from Uncharted or so I hear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, not the best note to start out on, but hey - I figure better to gamble early than late.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.