Twilight Struggle» Forums » General

Subject: TS, the 1989 game or 1960 the making of a president? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mattias B
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm about to buy one of the games mentioned in the subject. From what I can tell they are quite similar game engine wise. Could someone please give me som input on which to buy? If I'm correct, the 1989 game and 1960 are newer games than TS and so maybe they are "Pimped up" versions of the same game engine?

It also seems like 1960 the making of a president has the nicest looking components and such?

Please enlighten me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend either TS or 1989. Both are rife with tension and heavily strategic. With its lack of focus on deck management and unrestricted spreading of influence, I found 1960 dull in comparison with TS.

Personally, I find 1989 slightly more accessible than TS. It is also more exciting because it is prone to wilder swings and the sides are less symmetrical, but others have commented they prefer the theme and threat of nuclear annihilation TS offers.

You could go on wargameroom.com and give them a shot; it's free to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 1960 is a little older, or of similar age to TS. Having played all three I think 1989 is the best of the bunch, a refined version of TS if you will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with TS once I played TS I haven't really gone back to 1960. 1960 is however a good game to get into card driven games since it a bit more simplistic then 1989 and TS. I have 1989 and TS and love the both and can't really decided which one I like better yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sylvestris wrote:
I'm about to buy one of the games mentioned in the subject. From what I can tell they are quite similar game engine wise. Could someone please give me som input on which to buy? If I'm correct, the 1989 game and 1960 are newer games than TS and so maybe they are "Pimped up" versions of the same game engine?

It also seems like 1960 the making of a president has the nicest looking components and such?

Please enlighten me!

In teaching CDGs to my wife, I went in this order: 1960; 1989, Twilight Struggle.

The reason being, in 1960, only one "color" can exist in a location at a time, so the concept of presence vs. control is easier to handle. In 1989 and TS, both players can have influence in a location, and having control in that location comes down to exceeding the opponents influence by a certain margin, which means that you might only need 4 to control a location, or you might need 7, based on how much your opponent has pumped into it.

The reason I moved from there to 1989 is because I felt that Twilight Struggle's Coup and Realignment mechanics would be harder to explain than the 1989 Support Checks, which if I remember correctly, combine both the Coup and Realignment mechanics from TS.

All that having been said, if I only had to purchase one, I would probably buy Twilight Struggle, because A) I love the theme, and subject matter, along with the historical time frame, B) I wasn't a huge fan of the Power Struggle mechanic from 1989, and C) I feel it has the best replay-ability out of the three games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ocean Druen
United States
Buffalo Grove
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Twilight Struggle as I feel that it is a more refined than 1960 (which I also enjoy). I have never had two games of TS play out the same and even though there are a host of strategies there is always room to experiment and find success.

I do not like 1989 as I feel that the communist side is in constant defense and the game ends up being losing - but not losing enough to lose (or winning but not winning enough to win with the other side). Though admittedly I haven't played the game as much as the other two.

If tied up on which to get, choose the theme you think you would enjoy more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkTori wrote:

I do not like 1989 as I feel that the communist side is in constant defense and the game ends up being losing - but not losing enough to lose (or winning but not winning enough to win with the other side). Though admittedly I haven't played the game as much as the other two.

I think given the global political climate of the time, maintaining communism in a few countries in eastern Europe would have been a huge victory for the communist elite.

In game terms, the Communist player is actually the one with the initiative and the Democrat is the reactionary player. I like that the two sides play completely differently once you become familiar with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I prefer TS over 1989 for the scope and the interest of the theme (and in such a game, theme means a lot). I prefer both over 1960 for the depth of play (but 1960 is still a good game, in my opinion).

I only own TS and I LOVE it.
Best
Geki

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias B
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies guys, I think I'll buy TS actually. But please, do keep your input coming. I'm always interested in hearing more!

Another question for you, what is a realistic play time for the game? can it be completed in an afternoon or an evening (not more than 4 hrs)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Realistic playtime is somewhere around 3 hours in my experience depending if someone wins before the end of the game. However your first play or so will be longer of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Poutré
Canada
St-Jean-sur-Richelieu
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes... I still like 'em 35 years later...
mbmbmbmbmb
QBert80 wrote:
You could go on wargameroom.com and give them a shot; it's free to play!

Slight precision : Legally speaking, to play a game on Wargameroom.com, one of the players must own a physical copy of the game. Obviously, there's no way to enforce that but I'm just sayin'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marcon wrote:

Slight precision : Legally speaking, to play a game on Wargameroom.com, one of the players must own a physical copy of the game. Obviously, there's no way to enforce that but I'm just sayin'.

Fair enough. I own both 1989 and TS, so if you want to play on wargameroom just geekmail me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gecko1919 wrote:
Realistic playtime is somewhere around 3 hours in my experience depending if someone wins before the end of the game. However your first play or so will be longer of course.

If you play online you can easily get this down to 45 minutes total, even with full 10 turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played TS but they are all obviously good games, going by the ratings. On that basis you probably need to think about the theme and which of those 3 historical situations are of most interest. On that basis, certainly it would be TS for me, and as it's the top rated game on the Geek I think you're making a fairly safe choice!

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite is 1960, although I have yet to play 1989. I think 1960 has a number of advantages over TS:

- The Debates system is, I think, tighter mechanically and thematically when compared to TS's Space Race. The choices are, I think, more interesting in 1960.

- The Momentum mechanic results in a slightly more forgiving play experience, I find, as cards played for points don't necessarily have the oppponent's event occur. TS can be a little too frantic, by comparison. Also, this often results in an interesting shell game and bluffing exercise.

- 1960 has more currencies, as it were - the media support and endorsement mechanics provide additional arenas for conflict, and therefore more player choices.

- 1960's overall theme is tighter, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas Teuho
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, TS felt a lot better than 1960.

TS has more deck management, more tension and a lot more replayability. It just feels more refined and more thoroughly playtested. Though I also like 1960 and enjoy its rich theme. I'd probably say that 1960 is a nice and good game in its own right, but Twilight Struggle is an excellent one.

Haven't played 1989 yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
I like them in this order: TS> 1989 > 1960, but really you can't go wrong. I prefer TS for the historical period and just the scope of the conflict. 1989 was a joy because it's just a drag down fight for the communist to hang on to what he or she can. I've never been able to sell my husband on 1960, so sadly I don't get to play it very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias B
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your replies, I've acutally bought TS. Now to learn the rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The player aid in the files section is super helpful for TS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.