Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After 30 years, I've finally broken this puppy out. On the back box, it gives a medium for solitare play.

However, with the VC flipped and all, how do you account for that? Do you leave them all face up and give extra VC battalions? Charge less supply for VC perhaps? How do you account for Politcal Sections and x2 Supply Conduits? Do you give extra and just leave them face up too?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri P
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the Cyberboard game pack for solitaire play. It does not force you to look at the VC units (unlike Vassal), so it behaves like the physical game.

The solitaire play is possible with some level of hidden information because during normal seasons the VC battalions never attack - so you don't need to know their strengths when you move them as VC.

You just place/move them to the good positions, without knowing what they are. If US catches them, then the strength comes as a surprise to you, and can affect the losses US takes.

During offensives, every VC battalion attacks one by one, before US is given any operations, and those battalions are certain to die in any case, so their actual strength does not matter, except for variance.

Regiments have two purposes. In the early game, they are traps. So, if you purchase a regiment, mix it with battalions built nearby and deploy the mixture to a legal area. Treat all of those counters as unknown battalions, don't peek at them. Now you don't know which one is the trap. In late game, they can be combat troops, but in the late game the hidden information is mostly meaningless. At that point the value of the VC regiments is that they can alert away from air strikes, not in the hidden type.

The political sections are a bit nasty, because they cannot patrol. I see here two choices - allow patrolling to them - now you don't know which are battalions, and which are not. Or, know them, but attack them with the same kind of force you use against unknown, likely battalion strength, units.

Supply conduits would be even more nasty, but fortunately they are rarely needed. If you build them, pretend they are unknown battalions for a season and treat them like that - because they don't move, you can allow yourself to know what they are in the next season if you want. It does not really matter anyway.

HQs are more a late game unit - it is just artillery which can alert. Hidden identity does not mean much anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very thoughtful replay, so thank you very much.

Any other ideas are greatly appreciated....

I got to setting it up, but I got "bummed" when I saw how innefective any VC strategy would be, since I would know where the regiments are, and the Politcal Sections as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is one solo system I know of. I downloaded it from somewhere, if you want it send me a message with your email address.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Knight
United States
Westerly
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think the game would not play at its best solo. See below.

In my current Face to Face game, I have seven or eight VC regiments, all three VC HQ, and a plethora of political sections on the map in 1965 and into 1966.

My VC have captured several remote Province Capitols, draining US and SVN Morale.

If the US player knew where my counters were, my strategy as the VC would be failing COMPLETELY.

The hidden nature of the VC is paramount to good VC play.

Just dont expect it to be tense and have the fun produced by competitive play when it is played solo.

I think the game will still prove to be very cool to play solo, and that it will be more of an historical investigation. Petri has proven that the game is sustainable and enjoyable to play solo, and he has created a quite specific 4-phase paradigm approach to play that he can make work and enjoy solo.

With solo play, you just can't get thrill and tenacity of competitive play in the same nature and manner as two evil minds laying traps and deceptions for each other, as Mark and I have been experiencing.

So the game will be missing this element played solo, but it it such a great game, you may still thoroughly enjoy it solo. I would not. I tried it a couple times over the years and it went absolutely nowhere for me.

Randy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, if that's all it takes to make your strategy completely fail, I am heading down to the basement right now and flipping those counters over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both were entertaining but ultimately unproductive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Knight
United States
Westerly
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to hanging out this weekend in the jungles of Vietnam and Suicide Creek. Maybe we could sneak in a game or CC:E/P as well.

Randy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri P
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aslredbarricades wrote:

In my current Face to Face game, I have seven or eight VC regiments, all three VC HQ, and a plethora of political sections on the map in 1965 and into 1966.

My VC have captured several remote Province Capitols, draining US and SVN Morale.

That sounds like a really good way to encourage US to increase commitment.

Economically killing a few of those regiments per season, even with Free Fire and possible use of US regimental formation, needs so much air that US would be really hard pressed to do it with under 150 commitment, I bet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that is the reason I posted about solitarie play. The hidden nature of the VC, in my mind, make this well below Victory Game's rating of medium for solo play.

That's why I asked. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri P
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but as long as you follow the 30 years worth of collected folk wisdom "VC never attacks outside of Offensives", a solitaire campaign works well enough. (Have you read mine in the sessions forum?)

Of course, such a campaign is going to go along conventional lines, with no exotic tactics or surprises beyond noticing of an earlier error and capitalizing on it from the other side.

BTW, that building of VC regiments in the early game should end in tears. Looked at from the cold, impersonal, statistical view point. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tyson
United States
Landing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Going solitaire? How sad. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RobTys wrote:
Going solitaire? How sad. :-)

Well then get your sorry arse in your pickup and get it over here while it is still set up in my war room.

Doc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Knight
United States
Westerly
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thats what I was thinking - you two are in the same state!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Storzillo
United States
Wayne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy,

Not only are do they live in the same state, they are friends who play together regularly (sometimes more or less depending on "real life" issues). I've gamed with both of them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Storzo, your less than a Light Mortar shot away from my house, how about you getting over here for some Vietnam?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Storzillo
United States
Wayne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian, I admit am intrigued by the game Vietnam. It showed up on my radar when I heard David Doktor's Guns, Dice, & Butter podcast which featured the game. Are the rules online anywhere that you know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure about them on-line, but if you're interested ... I can make you a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only electronic versions are tainted with house rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Knight
United States
Westerly
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah…. TAINTED.

Like Mark said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve Shilcock
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
CPT Storzo wrote:
Brian, I admit am intrigued by the game Vietnam. It showed up on my radar when I heard David Doktor's Guns, Dice, & Butter podcast which featured the game. Are the rules online anywhere that you know?

There is a topic (game rule book) in the Rules section of the forum, with a link to a PDF scanned copy online i believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see that Steve. All I can find is the adulterated type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Petty
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
drmark64 wrote:
I'd like to see that Steve. All I can find is the adulterated type.

Here's an link someone posted in this forum and I've used before. Looks like it's still good:

http://www.mediafire.com/?g04r52fguawedpt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was nothing there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Petty
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
Hmmm. Well, message me your e-mail and I'll send it as an attachment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.