Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: What Should I Buy Next? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
TF Radcliff
msg tools
Okay, so I have $75 or so to spend on 1, 2, or I suppose 3 games! I'm looking to expand my collection's scope.

Games Owned
Cyclades
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game
Puerto Rico
Claustrophobia
Small World
Ticket to Ride: Europe
Carcassonne
Mice and Mystics
Mr. Jack
Lost Cities
Giants
Alhambra
Pandemic
Castle Panic
Forbidden Island

What I DON'T Want
Euro's / cube games with no noticeable theme
Games that require 4+ players
Party games
Abstract games

Other than that, I'm in your hands. Would prefer to keep my collection's variety growing (either by theme or mechanics)...suggest away!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gears of War: The Board Game---the drawback is that you'd probably only be able to get 1 game, or maybe this and a really cheap game

Memoir '44---definitely worth a look; I don't think you have anything quite like it

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)---can't go wrong with this

1812: The Invasion of Canada---warning: it has cubes lol. It's a true crossover, sort of euro-ish, wargame, dudes-on-a-map type of game (er, well, cubes on a map)

Twilight Struggle---#1 rated game here at BGG; a big cross-section of different types of gamers play it and love it

Cheapies but goodies (in case you spend like 55 bucks and think, what else can I get?)

The Battle for Hill 218

Pocket Battles: Celts vs. Romans

Lord of the Rings: The Duel

EDIT:
If you like Carcassonne, I strongly suggest enhancing it with these:
Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals
Carcassonne: The River II
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marquis25 wrote:
Consider The Resistance. It requires 5 players minimum and it's a hidden loyalty, talking, and hidden vote game.

But he did say no party games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marta Kelly
United States
Greenville
New York
flag msg tools
I know. I misread the original post. That's what I get for skimming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy Trucker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hall
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if The Resistance is listed on BGG under 'party games' I don't think he should exclude it. It can play well in that setting, but it doesn't feel like a typical party game at all. I would recommend it regardless. It is cheap and great for when you get 5-10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization - At first glance, it absolutely looks like a euro with no theme. After multiple plays, it absolutely feels like Civilization videogame. My favorite game; I love thematic games and eurogames and would always play a thematic game over something more abstract. But I'll always play TtA over anything else

Chaos in the Old World - Don't know much about it, only that I've seen folks say that this is a better game than Cyclades

Stronghold - One side's invaders, one side's defenders. Solid mechanics

1812: The Invasion of Canada - +1 to this excellent game. There is no other wargame that does what it does. It's the wargame for eurogamers and Risk for wargamers.

Dungeon Petz - Not much conflict in this game, a heavy euro with tons of theme. Ever felt upset about a piece of cardboard dying?

1960: The Making of the President - There are cubes but they represent your support in a state. Beautiful components and cards that look like newspaper clippings, it's a great game.

Lords of Vegas - this one drips of Vegas theme. For when you want to yell at your friends and not kill your brain too much

Revolver 2: Last Stand at Malpaso - The Magnificent 7, the cardgame. It's actually well-made and well-balanced! The ability to use cards for multiple things and the agony of choosing which way to actually reminds me of 1960

The Castles of Burgundy - I'm kidding

Flash Point: Fire Rescue - Excellent co-op, extremely thematic. Added bonus that it plays well solo

I myself am torn on Merchants and Marauders as I hear it takes too long for what it is and the downtime can be killer. The designer offered an untested variant to shorten playtime that has received good feedback (namely, a port action has to be your last action). We'll see....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ade Lewis
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
Earth Reborn
Drips theme and has massive replayability.
Good value for money.
Hidden Gem of a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TF Radcliff
msg tools
Thanks all!

Really considering Merchants & Marauders and Memoir '44, but am also drawn in by The Road to Canterbury...

Lots to think over meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.