Subject: Criminal Deck that I can't beat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D Clevenger
United States
Sunnyvale
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well i did get lucky once with an NBN deck that was seeded with Scorched Earth. Any thoughts?

Identity:
Gabriel Santiago: Consummate Professional (Core)

Total Cards: (45)
Event (18)
Easy Mark (Core #19) x1
Forged Activation Orders (Core #20) x3
Inside Job (Core #21) x3
Special Order (Core #22) x2
Sure Gamble (Core #50) x3
Satellite Uplink (Trace Amount #23) x3
Infiltration (Core #49) x3

Hardware (6)
Cortez Chip (What Lies Ahead #5) x3
E3 Feedback Implants (Trace Amount #24) x3

Program (10)
Aurora (Core #25) x2
Ninja (Core #27) x2
Crypsis (Core #51) x3
Peacock (What Lies Ahead #6) x3

Resource (11)
Access to Globalsec (Core #52) x3
Armitage Codebusting (Core #53) x3
Bank Job (Core #29) x2
Crash Space (Core #30) x2
Decoy (Core #32) x1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I say just play weyland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you post the decks you're playing, as well as your limitations (core availability, etc). While there are some things to be said about the Criminal deck, they aren't really useful in a vacuum. Tell us about what you play, how you play it, etc and we'll be able to give you a bit more help.

Are you a fairly new player as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ryan
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Post videos of your games so we can analyze them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
williamj35 wrote:
Post videos of your games so we can analyze them.

I agree. Write a session report. Your decisions have a greater impact than yours or your opponents deck list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pure Crim, even using Aurora
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of their deck is locked up in prevention/counters. Just play around them, as opposed to into them: install ice when easily rezzed, don't run traps, don't run Bioroid ice, run in-between-Aurora strength walls, run Shadow, run Enigma, don't depend on tagging. Run Weyland, protect HQ, then R&D, then a single remote server.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pyjam wrote:
Pure Crim, even using Aurora

Nor does it use Account Siphon or Sneakdoor Beta. What do you find effective about this deck? I'd recommend playing to its weaknesses - using high-strength barriers, mid-strength sentries, and Tollbooth. Strangely, Victor will be somewhat cost-effective againtst this deck. Focus on keeping the Runner out and advancing agendas quickly, using tricks like Sansan City Grid or Biotic Labor. With that much exposing, I wouldn't use ambushes that much.

This deck could have an awful lot more bite. If you're having trouble with this, you might benefit from watching some of the tournament matches that appear on the videos section here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play around the counter cards ? Use high strength barriers ? Use a single heavily protected remote server ? Don't play traps ?

No seriously, just play Weyland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This deck isn't very good. If you're having serious problems, it could mean you're actually playing the game wrong. A pretty common mistake is to trash ice on remote servers either after it's been broken with icebreakers or after an agenda has been scored in the server.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys, criticizing the deck he's having trouble against isn't really going to help. It'd be a lot more productive to wait for him to come back with some info on what he plays/how he plays and respond to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric F
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
RTFM!
mbmbmbmb
Looking at the Criminal deck, and not knowing any of the tools you have in your NBN deck...I'm going with the generalized assumption of "you don't know how you want to play yet."

NBN, more than other corps, have flexibility of playstyles. NBN can play a defensive game very well, since they have one of the best agendas in the game (Autoscript Pilot Program). Sitting behind ETR ICE, and just scoring your agendas is a valid and potentially powerful tactic.

NBN also has a very strong aggressive strategy. Breaking News is one of the most powerful Scorched Earth support cards (as it tags through Decoy, doesn't take a click to put tags on them), and you say you are running SE in your deck.

If you try to run both of these strategies at once, I find you do both to a very mediocre level. Try picking a style you like. If you really want to win with SE in NBN, I would suggest maybe running some Aggressive Negotiations for setting up your kill turn; your strongest tag setup will come from scoring a fully advanced Breaking News anyways, so that will let you play Aggressive Negotations, pluck the SE from your deck, and drop some missiles on them. Also, running SE means you're not able to pack a lot of other corps' defensive tools into your deck, relying on Enigma, Wall of Static, TMI, and Tollbooth as your ETR ICE. As such, you'll want to have a lot of tools in your deck that tag the runner, since most of those will live in NBN. If the runner is forced to take a tag going through Data Raven to steal your fully advanced Breaking News before a kill turn (and can't drop the tag afterwards), that Breaking News is doing its job in a roundabout way, as long as the runner gets tags for your kill turn.

From the sound of it, you won with SE because "you got lucky." Try to make it not luck; NBN has plenty of ways to tag, re-tag and punish tags. If SE is your preferred method of punishing tags (and winning), focus on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Duncan
United Kingdom
Ellon
Aberdeenshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like the strengths of the criminal deck are:

- Lots of ways to expose cards
- A high number of ice breakers/tutors
- Good defense against tags/scoched earth
- 3xE3's will cripple bioroid ice

It does those well, but in focusing oddly it has a number of weaknesses:

- A weaker economy than criminal would usually have and quite an expensive deck to fund with it. A large part of this is expensive/inefficient icebreakers.
- A lot of dead draws with the large number of icebreakers/special orders/extra E3's/access to globalsec unless you're tracing a lot. Then no extra card draw.
- Limited flexibility. Forged activation orders, inside job and cortez chip are the only tricks in the entire deck, and two of those are countered by leaving a slight excess of funds free.

With that many expose effects you won't be able to set effective traps in assets or ice, so don't bother with it. Just run some extra ice, and run it deep, if he has to break a lot of ice it'll bankrupt him. Tracing for effects other than tagging should be quite effective since globalsec is his only link, he shouldn't be drawing them very fast, and his economy isn't strong to back it up. Cards like TMI and Cadaceus would be excellent. Also, since he isn't running Femme, Tollbooth will be brutal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Lupo
Italy
Lecce
Puglia
flag msg tools
mb
The real bane of this deck is a stratified multi level barrier server. 2 ice walls with a single advancement cost 5 to install and advance and 8 to break. add a wall of static, install and rez costs rise to 10, break cost to 12. Unless he's using crypsis, then he has to spend 3 clicks getting counters. and it still costs the runner 10 credits

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You simply need a good ratio of some cheap ice to defeat this deck. A 50/50 ratio of cheap ice vs the expensive 5c>= will prevent any early runs. Off the top of my head I recommend Wall of Ice.

Overall that criminal deck has very expensive/inefficient icebreakers and it will have a difficult time paying install and running within a two turn time span early. Low rez ice prevents early runs; and high rez ice is great late game. Depending on your Corps startegy the middle game varies; but it appears to me his middle game is only so-so.

One problem you can't stop is Satelitte Uplink/Infiltration and Forged Activation Orders. Be careful when installing ICE you can't rez.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.