Subject: What do the map cards say? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Corbett
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
The original rules, and just about every variant I can find, uses "map cards" in addition to the regular fate cards. However, the Bookshelf edition scraps the map cards. Could someone post what the map cards say? I'd love to make my own so that I could play some variations. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow if your still interested the rule book {in my treasure chest edition} refrences them briefly saying simply "used in 1st edition" there is no further explanation in the rule book.
However the card text says"You must obtain the map card that matches your vessel colour to gain access to dread island@s treasure and become the dread pirate"
the 4 cards each have a picture of one of the 4 ships on them.
One each of silver,bronze copper oand black.

the cards have a skull and crossbones on the back so are not added to the fate deck we use them to indicate who is the dread pirate as this version did not include a skull and crossbones flag to indicate the dread pirate. we give each player a card and if they become the dread pirate you turn your card so the s & crossbones are facing up and the other playes do not.

Do you have any ideas what these cards are used for normally?.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Clarke
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just because I was also curious about the map cards (a full 6 months later no less!), I read up on the original first edition rules. It's part of the 'Alternate game play' section, as an additional condition for winning.

The map cards are passed out at random to each player and kept secret. Before you're able to head to Dread Island, you must also possess the card that matches your ship on as well as one of each kind of treasure. To gain map cards (if the card passed to you doesn't already match your ship), you may choose to take another player's map card if you beat them in a skirmish, instead of the normal treasure reward.

This seems to be another incentive to attack other players, instead of playing a round-robin hit of each of the home ports like we did in our last game.

The map cards themselves seem to have nothing other than an image of the different color ships. I like the idea of the map cards though, in a different form. Instead of simply a matching ship card, each card could have an additional or alternate method of qualifying to go to Dread Island. I've been rewriting the whole rule-set anyway, so I'll keep noodling it over in my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Moore
United States
Waynesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see why they scrapped the map card rule, as it was optional to begin with. I like the cards, as they make you work for the title of Dread Pirate.
I have been kicking around the idea that you must possess all 4 map cards in order to become the Dread Pirate, i.e. you have to defeat all the other pirates in battle to gain the title. This makes Dread Pirate a much more impressive achievement than just "I'm the first one to get one of each color gem, yay!"..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.