Quarriors!» Forums » General

Subject: Quarriors Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Adams
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey all,

First post here, so hopefully I've put it in the right place (tried searching for a general quarriors thread already made to pop this question in, but didn't come up with anything).

I picked up quarriors awhile back, and while I enjoy the style and type of play, I've played 4 games now, and every game has been a complete and utter blow-out. 3 games played with 3 people, one game played with 4 people.

Every single game, one person has won by a margin of atleast 10 glory points (we played up to 20 each game, as we felt the 12 and 16 versions for these # of players was too short).

The offending party would purchase a Questing Wizard early on, regardless of the type (Normal, STrong, Mighty, etc) they would inevitably get it onto the table with a 4 attack / 8 defense and double burst, and the game would be over. With 8 (potentially 9 defense for the normal questing wizard) we were never able to remove it from the field, and the offending player would just increase their # of creatures hastening the end of the game.

What can other players do to stop something with such a high defense from rending the rest of the game boring and predictable? There are probably a couple spells that could take care of the creature (but only til they pull it back out of their bag and roll it again), but you only have 3 spells out per game, so one of those spells may not even be available. Getting enough creatures summoned in 1 turn in order to deal that kind of damage is unrealistic, and if you don't get enough summoned, the person with the wizard is going to be hitting back at you for atleast 4, if not 5-6-7-8 depending on how many turns they've had to add more units to the attacking party hidden safely behind the wizards immense defense.

It's ruined every game I've played, and made it so my regular gaming group has just dismissed it as an option for our game nights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're playing a rule wrong. The creature is only there for one turn. After it scores, it gets discarded into your used pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Easton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Quarriors forum is the best place for this type of thread. Every game in the database has one.

As to your question, I'm fairly certain you've got a rule wrong somewhere.

First, the wizard shouldn't come out every game. If you are following the random setup rules, you put out 7 classes and you have 11 classes of creatures.

Also, the bit about an "attacking party" is a bit confusing to me.

Each turn, that Wizard is going to score (if he makes it around). So, he goes to the used pile, then back in the bag. You have to draw him again and one of his summon faces come up.

I'm not sure if this is what you meant by "attacking party," but you don't get to leave a die out there for the entire game and build a party behind it.

It goes one turn around, scores, goes to used pile then back in bag when you need to draw dice again. (There are some creatures that can alter this, but for the most part, it is true.) So, that "immense defense" can only last for one turn around the table, then it scores.

It automatically gets "removed from the table" once it scores.

If this isn't what you are doing I apologize.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Quarriors forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Adams
Canada
flag msg tools
Aha, I have been playing it wrong it would seem. After scoring, I haven't been moving scored quarriors to the used pile. Many thanks everyone! This will make things a bit more balanced. Sorry for the seemingly silly question, given it was just me being an idiot and not re-checking the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nightravyn wrote:
Aha, I have been playing it wrong it would seem. After scoring, I haven't been moving scored quarriors to the used pile. Many thanks everyone! This will make things a bit more balanced. Sorry for the seemingly silly question, given it was just me being an idiot and not re-checking the rules.
Wait until you try the Advanced Culling rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.