Zbigniew Oelke
Poland
Lewin Brzeski
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello.

It's my first thread on BGG .

I'm looking for games that play good solo and in a group (mostly up to 4-5 players). But I would like to focus on the solo aspect, because our group is meeting one day a week, and I would like to have something to play by myself.

From the games I have:
*Formula D
*Rallyman
*Mansions of Madness
*War of the Ring (second edition)
*The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

In a couple of days my collection should expend with:
*Arkham Horror (love the game)
*Last Night on Earth

I like games with theme.
But I'm not a big euro or abstract fan, and heavy war games are not in my gaming profile (but I would consider easier war games).

Looking for some feedback from more advanced gamers .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, as much as I love it, you can scratch Mansions of Madness from your list. There's no reasonable way to play solo with any kind of tension or fun - it's just not built for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilde Vandierendonck
Belgium
zemst
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flash point may fit the bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheryll Gerk
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
badge
Empress Rin
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Mansions of Madness and Arkham Horror you should try Elder Sign. It's in the same line, and can be played solo or with up to 8 players. It's a bit lighter, with dice used for solving quests to keep the Elder Gods from appearing in the museum. Very thematic and fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Flash Point: Fire Rescue

Very fun game, even solo. I enjoy it more than Pandemic, both with a group and solo.

However, if you enjoy solo gaming, you should definitely consider acquiring a solo designed game. Friday, D-Day at Omaha Beach, and Ambush! are what I am playing solo recently and I LOVE them, all for different reasons. Next on my list is RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940 as I am quickly becoming a huge John H. Butterfield fan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Defenders of the Realm plays well solo and is fun for up to 6 players. Some nice expansions are already available if you want to expand on this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stemcider wrote:
Next on my list is RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940 as I am quickly becoming a huge John H. Butterfield fan!

Oh man, you are gonna LOVE RAF. Once you've had it on the board a couple of times, the VASSAL version works great, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a publisher that specializes in solo games.

http://victorypointgames.com/

I recently purchased two of their games ...

Darkest Night ... a fantasy adventure which can be played by 1-4. If you play solo then you need to run all four heroes. But the game, although challenging, is simple enough to do with ease using all four heroes. I quite enjoyed it. Undead Viking has a great video describing the game. You'll see it in the video section for the game. The game comes in a boxed edition, something new for the publisher.

Zulus on the Ramparts! ... another boxed edition that was just released. This one is strictly solo. It recreates the battle at Rorke's Drift which took place at the end of the nineteenth century and which was made into a terrific movie, "Zulus".

They have other games as well which might interest you.

You might also check out ...

Yggdrasil

Good luck with your quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gears of War: The Board Game---really hard to win, really tough decisions, really terrific game!

Ottoman Sunset---it "looks" like it wouldn't be interesting, but check out the reviews by Marco and eekamouse

Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game---or Castle Ravenloft, or Legend of Drizzt; these games are great for soloing; some scenarios are for solo gaming, while for others you'll need to control two characters; if that's off-putting, no worries, there's a TON of great custom scenarios for these here at BGG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Homan
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of my favorite solos:

Suburbia
Defenders of the Realm
Le Havre
Mage Knight
At the Gates of Loyang
Sanitarium
Pandemic
Space Hulk: Death Angel

There is a user here that creates solos for games that did not have a solo option built in. You can find his list here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W McG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you solo War of the Ring 2nd Ed.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fery Tomi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
If you like thematic games, I highly recommend the following:

A Touch Of Evil
: highly thematic, very absorbing as a solo game, much more than in a group play. This is my favorite solo game (I'm biased due to my love for Sleepy Hollow/ mystery detective type genre).

Gears of War: very thematic, works very well as a solo game as it's designed to be played with an A.I. system, and the gaming experience scales better with more players.

Zombicide: a better alternative than Last Night On Earth as it's intended to be played without anyone controlling the zombies. (You could probably play a variant of Last Night On Earth for it to be fully soloable.)

The reason the above games work very well for solo play is because every game experience is different from the previous ones. Rather than having the game play you, you're playing the game. You feel like you're in a movie and every action you take determines your survival.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like D-Day Dice, I also like Agricola
My next solo purchase are Mage Knight Board Game and Gears of War: The Board Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zbigniew Oelke
Poland
Lewin Brzeski
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow what quick response

Well Mansions of Madness isn't playable solo. There is a solo scenario and I tried it once, but it's definitely a multi game.

Flash Point is almost impossible to get in my country now (been thinking about it as I liked Pandemic), and the international shipping cost most of the time are HUGE :/.

D-Day at Omaha and the others seems to be very complicated, and I believe that's not my type of games.

Been thinking about Gears of War, and the D&D games, but I'm not entirely convinced by them. They seem fine, but I don't know what it is that is stopping me from buying them.

With Zombiecide there is the same thing as with Flash Point, hard to get, and the price here in Poland is very big unfortunately. Thought about A Touch of Evil and Elder Sign, but having Arkham and Mansions I wanted something a bit different.

new_sherif I once tried to play War of the Ring solo, but it's not very good that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.